• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

Ive been looking at the PCP air rifles for a while and know that I cant afford a scuba tank of a $100 bike pump to fill it. So I was wondering if there is a fill adaptor? that I could fix to my compressor in my garage. It would be very nice to be able to fill it up with a compressor like a bike tire.

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Did you know that most PCP air guns take more than 2,000 pounds of high pressure air?

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:11 AM

Unfortunately, PCPs tend to be at the expensive end of air-gunning and the high pressure air accessories are often expensive. The cheapest route which is the approx $200 hand pump isn't really reliable over time. Considerably more bang for the buck can be had in springers and pump airguns and some very decent airguns are available at low cost.

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

Pete,Your best/cheapest bet on getting into the PCP market is buying a Benjamin Discovery with the hand pump. This combo usually goes for about $400 dollars. I have a .22 Discovery and it's a great shooter. The Discovery also lends itself well to modifications, upgrades, and add-ons so you can trick it out over time as you get some $. Tim McMurray over at Mac1 Airguns in Gardena sells the combo for $425.00. That might be a little more than you will see on some websites for the same combo but he will personally inspect the gun, crown the barrel (adds accuracy) and do a number of other upgrades. Tim is a top notch airgunsmith and all around great guy and I know a number of the other guys on this forum will vouch for this. As far as scuba tanks go keep an eye out at garage sales in your area. I have picked up a couple that way for as little as $20.00. There are a number of different types of air tanks out there that are rated to different pressures. Because most PCP's are rated for 2200psi or more you will want to get a tank that can max out that pressure over a number of fills. There is a wide variety of air tanks but the ones you likely to come across are basically.1. Steel 72's2. Aluminum 80's 3. High pressure Steel tanks. 4. Mini tanks or Paint Ball Air CylindersThe 72 and 80 refer to the amout of air that the tank will hold. In this cse it means 72 to and 80 cubic feet. Avoid steel 72's. They opperate at a max pressure of 2250 psi and won't be able to top off most PCP airguns and and will only be able to max-top off a Discovery for a couple of fill's. Aluminum 80's have been around for some time (henceforth plentiful) and are probably your best bet. They opperate on a maximum pressures of 3000 -3300psi and will be able to top off a Discovery for quite a number of fills. High pressure steel (HPS) tanks are probably your second most likely choice and come in a variety of sizes ranging from 40 cubic feet to 120 cubic feet. Most HPS tanks are rated for a max pressure of 3500 PSI altough there are some that are rated for less than this. They haven't been around as long as Aluminum 80's so people will want more $$$ and they won't be as easy to find. Mini cylinders/Paintball air cylinders are mostly made of aluminum and operate on a max pressure of 3000 psi. They vary in size with most only being able to hold 13 - 62 cubic inches of air. You might come across, or have a buddy who wants to sell you an air tank that he once used for paint ball. Most of these tanks will be fine but they will require you to switch out the valve assembly as valves for paint ball have a restrictor that limits the air pressure making it useless for PCP guns. Most guys who shoot PCP's have a full size tank, that they will fill a minitank with, which they will take into the field to top off their airgun through out the day. I have a 48 cubic inch mini tank that I take into the field with me and I have yet to deplete it to the point where I need to head back to my truck to top it off. Hope this helpsMcPS Home compressors rarely opperate at a pressure greater than 110 psi

#5 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

My first PCP was a disco I bought from MAC1 with the pump. It is well worth the extra money to buy from MAC1 as the work Tim does to to the rifle makes it a real good shooter. If I could do it all over though, I wouldn't buy the hand pump. It's a lot of work to fill even to 2000psi and the Benjamin pump has proved to be less than reliable. I have had to rebuild it several times. You can get a brand new scuba tank from sport chalet for $150,or get one on eBay for even less, although it may need a hydro. Another option with the Disco is CO2, I have never used it with mine but it is a cheap alternative to HPA. You'll get a ton of shots per fill but at a lower velocity.

#6 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

Yeah I figured that they would be too high preasure for my compressor. Just checked and it is only 500PSI.I wasnt about to go off and buy a PCP but Ive been wondrering about it for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users