• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

Just picked this up yesterday. Had a little more room in the safe so I thought I would use it up. A S&W 629-5 Mountain Gun in 44 Mag, pre-lock model. Magna-Ported and has had the trigger tuned. Can't wait to shoot it. Will change out the Hogue grips for a Pachmayr Decelerator grip. The Hogue's with the bare backstrap are not comfortable to me, like the Pachmayr much more.Attached File  1.jpg   12.45KB   16 downloads

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,294 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

Nice Frank, I have one of those it's my favorite carry around gun in the hills. They are one fire breathing monster when fired after dark. It gets every bodies attention in a hurry. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Thanks John. It will be my main sidearm when out and about looking for the 4 legged type of vermin, as for the two legged vermin, the Glock 22 has that job. I plan to shoot it later this week and I will stay a little late just to shoot it after dark.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,294 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Shoot something stout in it and be prepared to be impressed. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

4rhunts,nice gun, do you mind if I ask what you paid for it or in the ball park.. I am assuming it was a used gun?thanks, Randy

#6 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

Thanks Randy. I picked it up used at just under 700. A pretty good deal I thought with the Magna-Port and trigger work.

#7 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

good price and it will serve your purpose well and take some of the sting out of it with a ported barrel. thanks

#8 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

4rhunts, that is a pretty good price. I had that same gun, only with the 8 3/8" barrel and I sold it for a little over $800. I then used the money to buy my ss 1911. I wish I had bought my .44 with the same size barrel as yours is in the first place. If I had, I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of it. It was a great gun!
"Life's tough-It's even tougher if your stupid"--John Wayne

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

Yep, very nice indeed... I am a huge S&W fan.My 629 classic (44 mag) has a 5" barrel that I wish was shorter like yours. I bought it when this 5" classic first came out for around $400.00. Pretty crazy, as I think I've seen them for over $900 lately, but I could be mistaken on that?Anyway, you did good & Congrats :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Frank

#10 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

Frank, now we gotta put that to some use on a hog!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#11 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

Yep, very nice indeed... I am a huge S&W fan.My 629 classic (44 mag) has a 5" barrel that I wish was shorter like yours. I bought it when this 5" classic first came out for around $400.00. Pretty crazy, as I think I've seen them for over $900 lately, but I could be mistaken on that?Anyway, you did good & Congrats :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Frank

Thanks Frank. I also have the 629 Classic in 5". A great revolver also. Don't think I would have got the 4" if it was not ported.

#12 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Frank, now we gotta put that to some use on a hog!

I'm thinking the same thing Randy. I'm just about done dealing with this very prolonged ankle injury and looking forward to finally getting back out to do some hunting. If I remember right didn't you get a nice revolver sometime back? I'm thinking it was a 45 Colt?

#13 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

I sure did. Ruger Redhawk long colt...I have yet to take a hog with it, but carry it on very hunt hoping to get a close chance
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#14 T44

T44

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Hiking in the mountains or desert, with a lightweight coyote rifle.<br /><br />T44

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

4R -- Good choice. I have a Mountain Gun in 44 mag and carry it in a Kramer Scabbard (OWB with a tilt). Holster holds the gun so close you are not the least bit affected by the weight when you are hiking over rough terrain, even loaded with heavy bullets. Kramer conceals it well (I have CCW). Great gun. It's the last one I would ever sell.----------------

#15 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

Went out and shot new toy and really enjoyed it. With the Magna Port it was a joy to shoot. When shooting 44 spcl. loads thru it, it felt like 38 specl. loads. This one is a keeper.T44, I will look into the holster you mentioned.

#16 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

Nice looking revolver!

#17 T44

T44

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Hiking in the mountains or desert, with a lightweight coyote rifle.<br /><br />T44

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

This is the holster I have for my 629 Mountain Gun: http://www.kramerlea...p;categoryID=24 It's the high-riding pancake, with an FBI tilt. Perfectly conceals the gun. But I think people like the Kramer Vertical Scabbard just as well, and I might try one. It might be better for the trail. Might be easier to access and faster on the draw. T44---------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users