#1 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

What cameras are you guys using and what do you like and dislike about them? What do you think is the best one for the money? Is the one second trigger speed fast enough to catch most game on a tight trail? I went up to sportsman's warehouse today and almost bought a Bushnell 8MP Trophy Cam. How big of SD card do you really need? Decided I would ask here before I spent that much money.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#2 theseacow

theseacow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:hunting big game, predators, birds and varmints. fishing.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

Right now I have a few bushnell trophy cams running 24/7. The battery life is good and its a small unit overall which is nice. the first generation cam I have only allows 2 gig cards so it fills up fast. it also records the video in AVI format so the file size is pretty big. The newer generation trophy cam allows up to 16 gig cards and the video is recorded in ASF format so the over all video size is small. The newer cameras seem to have a problem and Im still in the middle of troubleshooting. The issue is, after a while youll start to get hits on the camera and the file size generated is 0 kb (thus making it a blank useless file). This only happens with certain night shots where the LEDs would be triggered on. i *THINK* it has to do with battery life. I think you need all 8 AA batteries installed and keep them fairly fresh (2 bars or greater on the battery life indicator) to keep the LED triggering when necessary during the night shots to avoid blank files being created. I should have the issue nailed down soon. Overall however, I am pleased with the cameras.

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for responding. I have looked at some of your older post and it seems like your cameras have taken some nice pictures. A friend did buy the tasco game camera yesterday that was 1/2 the price of the Bushnell I was looking at. I almost pulled the trigger and bought the Bushnell but thought I would try to educate my self a little bit on them first. I do not want to have buyers remorse. I was just trying to figure out if there is a cheeper camera that takes real good pictures and is easy to use. I am worried about the camera getting stolen where I am thinking about putting it. I also read some reviews on Tasco that he bought and there was some bad ones.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#4 theseacow

theseacow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

I did ask a few others online with the bushnell cameras and they did not have the issue i have. After I'm certain the problem is related to the battery, Im going to ask bushnel about it.heres a recent video from one of the bushnell trophy cams where you can contrast the day and night shots. seems to work decent for a $170 cam.

#5 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Beautiful and thanks for sharing!

#6 indyjrt

indyjrt

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

There is sooooo many different reviews on cameras, it makes it so difficult to choose!

#7 theseacow

theseacow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

been using the new model bushnell trophy cams in picture mode and they are flawless. solid 8mp pics and the batteries are lasting forever. the only MINOR issue ive found is with video mode. As soon as the batteries get a little less then half full, they start to be unreliable shooting night video. you start getting more and more blank videos when the batteries start to go. this isnt the case in picture mode, and is the best game cam ive found for just pics.

#8 tchjts1

tchjts1

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

You can see footage from my WildGame 8MP trail cam here in both night and day mode. I have also listed some of the pro's and con's. I didn't mention that it records in AVI format.I have it set to high resolution, so a 30 second clip is about 22MB. It will accept up to a 16GB SDHC card. You can select Hi, Med or Low res.http://www.californi...showtopic=23986Mine will also occasionally give me a 0KB file... I think it does this to indicate that ther was some type of activity other than motion sensor... such as turning the unit off, or just s split second of close range movement, such as my hand directly in front of the sensor. No biggie.Jeff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users