18 replies to this topic

#1 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

After buying rounds for my new AR I'm really starting to think about reloading. I'm looking for recommendations on starter kits thanks.
Ne Desit Virtus

#2 Jay61cal

Jay61cal

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors person who loves to fish and wanting to get back into hunting...

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Cabelas has great deals on reloading presses....I picked up a RCBS rock chucker supreme kit for $269..they are hard to beat...check em out!

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Lee starter kit just over $100 at a lot of places.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#4 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

I bought a Lee starter kit 20 years ago and it is still going strong. If I had to do it over again (and had the money back then) I would go RCBS. Not that I have had problems with mine, but the RCBS seems much more rugged. I recently invested in a digital scale and powder trickler which are nice to have. The powder thrower that came with my Lee kit looks pretty cheap, but it is very accurate....

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

Gotta love the Rock Chucker, but I still prefer my 6 hole turret press. Nothing like being able to go back and forth between dies in a matter of second if you forget something. Besides, I can hold 2 pistol cal (3 die), or 3 rifle cal (2 die), on just one turret. Just makes my life a little simpler, that's all.

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

I know you want a complete starter kit, but one additional tool that makes reloading so much easier and is a "must-have" in my opinion is an RCBS Trim Mate case prep center. Case prep is the most time consuming and arduous part of reloading. The Trim Mate automates chamferring and deburring the case mouths, primer pocket uniforming and flash hole deburring. Cabela's currently has a sale on the Trim Mate for $110 plus a $10 mail in rebate. It's totally worth it. http://www.cabelas.c...r:referralID=NA

#7 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

Look around for a used RCBS press. You may be able to find someone that is getting out of reloading and buy there stuff real cheap.ratassassin, check out this video on trimming with the RCBS Trim Mate.I set mine up to trim with the Lee Trimmer and it works great.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#8 Jay61cal

Jay61cal

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors person who loves to fish and wanting to get back into hunting...

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

Look at that cutter wobble..lol i have the same problem with mine but love it..saves so much time with case prep

#9 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

The Lee aniversery kit has enough to get anyone started, at just under $100 its cheap enough. and they hold up. Ive had mine since around 1986. I do everything but swage on it. DR

#10 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

I appreciate it guys, this weekend really pushed me in the direction to reload. I'd love to be able to just go and smack 3 or more bills down on some equipment, but unfortunately my wallet doesn't run that deep right now. I did some looking around at the different suggestions and there are a few Lee kits that look good price wise, and I saw a rockchucker one that was pretty close to my budget. This is going to come off as a dumb question but would I need separate presses for rifles and handgun rounds? The handgun thing isn't too big of an issue I can buy bulk .40 jhp from Wally world fairly cheap but if I'm gonna reload I might as well do everything I can I guess.
Ne Desit Virtus

#11 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

I load for my rifles but not my pistols. My friend has a Dillon 550 and cranks out pistol ammo for us high speed. Dabob, that's a cool mod for the Trim Mate using the Lee cutter to trim cases. I just use a Forster classic case trimmer and it works very well.

#12 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Buy used. Craigslist, etc. Lot of stuff out there right now. Trust me, your not going to wear out a good name brand press unless your loading everything for say, the U.S. Army.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#13 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

You can load pistol and rifle on the same press. Just need different dies(for each cartridge) and shellholders(usually). Dillon makes one press(square deal) which is set up for just one pistol cartridge but other than that one press will do either.If your kit does not come with a hand-primer with tray I would get one. It is good to have and prime brass while watching TV. Then get a vib type brass tumbler/cleaner. The brass cleaner is not required to get started but sure makes thing easier and nicer later.

#14 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:50 AM

Something I saw that'll probably make you reloading gurus laugh, but would suit my purposes as far as price and lack of space is that Lee hand press. I could take it to work and do all the de-priming and resizing during my down time and I have a buddy that tells me an instructor of his reloads so I could get everything ready to charge and have that guy show me the ropes for the charging and seating stuff. This may be the route I end up taking.
Ne Desit Virtus

#15 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

Lee starter kit handles both rifle and pistol rounds with ease. Later on you will buy more things to go with the kit. My biggest one was an electronic powder dispenser that speeds up my reloading time.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#16 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

I use a Lee Hand Press and I'm happy with it. I avoid the $50 a box cost for my .270 in unleaded. Buy a deluxe rifle die and powder and primers and you are in business. I don't mind less than $20 a box but that $50+ just killed me.

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

Lee starter kit handles both rifle and pistol rounds with ease. Later on you will buy more things to go with the kit. My biggest one was an electronic powder dispenser that speeds up my reloading time.Darren

A good hand thrower will be plenty accurate (and MUCH easier on a rookie salary) and actually quicker than an electronic dispenser. However, as of recent, I ALWAYS recommend that a rookie get an electronic scale. I have watched even veteran reloaders get confused with manual scales and damn near blow themselves up. You can buy a scale that will be compatible with a dispenser later on down the road. Some things are a little bit flexible (forgiving) in reloading, POWDER CHARGES ARE NOT.If you do go with a portable hand held press, fight the urge to reload in the family room while watching TV. Dad and Grampa would never allow it, it was a distraction they said. And they were right. Radio was OK, but not encouraged, since your eyes were still on your work. The other rule was, "If your friends aren't there to help you then they shouldn't be there to begin with. They are just a distraction". And guess what, they were right again. Just some sound advice I got years ago I thought I'd pass along to you. Whether or not you use it is your choice, obviously, but remember that what you are making is essentially a small bomb. Be careful and you will enjoy your new hobby to no end. Best of luck.Oh, almost forgot, never load cases (dispense powder) on a carpeted surface if you can help it. Obvious reasons. Got some funny, funny stories about that one...........

#18 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

The lee "kit" is great for beginners , because it contains everything you will need to get started . I have several presses , and one is screwed to a 9x12 piece of plywood. I take it with me in the trailer, camper, or to the range and secure it to any table with a C clamp for reloading on the go. the hand press is not easy to charge and seat with, because I need both hands to align the bullit and close the press without spilling any powder. after you get started you will add new gear to make things easier. DR

#19 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Buy the breech lock kit on the site below for under $90. My 6mm shoots half inch with ammo loaded on one of these and with the breech locks I can change to my 357 Sig dies and back to 6mm without re-adjusting the dies.https://factorysales...og/anivers.html
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users