3 replies to this topic

#1 wynnkid

wynnkid

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

what would be pros and cons of either? i know the OU will be a little more expensive. and im a little more fimilar with a pump spefically an 870. should i just go with something i know?the OUs at the store felt so much nicer, they really appelaed to me, any thoughts? also ill primarily be using it for bird hunting, dove, quail, pheasant, duck, etc

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

the OUs at the store felt so much nicer

That's because they are...I own several 870's & never could get "comfortable" &/or fit right with any of them (for quail hunting). So about a dozen years ago I bought a Beretta O/U & LOVE it. It fits, balance, handles, swings & shoots so much nicer & faster. That fast 2nd shot makes a HUGE difference for me and kill more quail because of it. Not to mention their gorgeous looks and appeal. Spells Quality! HOWEVER, with all that said, some folks are lighting fast with their 870's and slay way more birds than I do. These folks are obviously comfortable with their 870's and their success shows it.Even better yet IMO, is the semi auto shotgun, at least for quail & dove & such. I cannot begin to count the # of times I would have had a 3rd shot at quail, many being easy shots, only to be standing there with an empty O/U, having spent both shells.Anyway, if the 870 is working fine for you, that is what I would personaly stay with; unless you just want another shotgun that is.Good Luck in Your DecisionFrank

#3 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

If you are going to use it for hunting get the pump.I have a Browning O/U for shooting Sportingt Clays, Skeet and Trap but I don't use it for hunting.I want 3 shots for hunting. A O/U can't shoot anything if you are trying to put one or two shells in it. A pump or semi-auto is still ready to shoot while you are putting one or two shells in it.A decent used O/U shotgun will cost at least 3 times more than a new pump shotgun.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

Regardless of what you decide on, I honestly feel that the fit of a shot gun is the most important. I do not care what kind it is, a shot gun is made to be thrown up to your shoulder and pull the trigger. You will find yourself doing this as fast as you can in a hunting situation, like hunting quail or ducks when a bunch of teal come out of no where at 90 miles an hour. I have had and shot several different models and brands. I am down to six shotguns now of different brands and models. What I am telling you is a shotgun has to fit, if you ever want to be real good with it, I do not care who makes it or weather it is a OU, Auto or Pump. I have shot and been around all the Auto's and prefer them. I have two Benelli's and one Browning Auto, a real nice Citori OU, and Steavens single shot right now. With that said if I was going to buy a new shotgun right now, I would be looking at a new Berreta. The reason is that none of the Auto's will hold up to major abuse and I think the Berreta's are lasting the longest in the field right now with out problems for what me and my friends do to them. They have impressed me in the duck blinds the last few of years. I have been around some people that can really shoot well also. It has never been what they were shooting that impressed me. My friend Raith will take a bran new shotgun to his smith before he ever shoots it one time. He takes every one he owns and gets it cut to fit him. He owns several different brands also. Why? He also knows that the fit is the most important thing above all else when out in the field. I have seen him take four teal out of a flock several times with his autos. That is pretty impressive with the reload being involved. I have seen guys that were real good with pumps too. Get one that fits you and it will make you happy in the field is what I am saying.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users