• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

What do you guys think of the Browning X-Bolt? Saw a composite Stalker in the local gun shop this morning and dry fired it. That new Feather trigger is superb. Although it's set at 3.5 lbs from the factory, it broke smooth and with no creep at all. Really liked it.The rifle is pretty light, which would be good for carrying. Thinking about getting a .30-06. Anyone have an X-Bolt? How accurate is it?

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Well, it's been over 22 years since I purchased my last Browning A-bolt stalker in 300 win mag which I still own & love... and they no longer make like mine :sport037fn4: So I honestly do not know how "todays" Browning compare? However, back when I purchased mine, I honestly believed they were 2nd to none in quality. In other words, I do not know if Browning even knows how to build a cheap rifle. But again, that was yrs ago, but my sense is they still make fine rifles today. Sorry I could not be of more help... All The Best in Your DecisionFrank

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

That's helpful, Frank. I've been thinking about A-Bolts, too. Good to know you have a high opinion of them.

#4 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hi.I purchased a Browning Abolt2 in 2007. It's a stainless stalker in 308. The triggers break like glass. It's a japanese made Browning (miroku). After 15 shots, 3 to get on the paper, 10 to run in and final 2 shots to zero, I knew it was the right gun. Ammo was 180 gr. Federal Powershok.. the cheapest I could find. Posted ImageI can't fault this gun. I've shot everything from 110 gr vmax to 180 gr, sierra soft points and it loves them all. Browning still know how to make a top rifle that's accurate right out of the box. The stainless barrels on the Browning won't rust like my mates Tikka did.

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

Nice shooting and thanks for the advice. Federal Powershok shoots well out of my .308's as well. Surprising since it's inexpensive and available at every Walmart. What's the difference between an A-Bolt II and an original A-Bolt?

#6 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

The second gen abolt has a redesigned trigger system and a redesigned bolt.

#7 JRW

JRW

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

I have an X-bolt in 30-06. I love it. Its really light great for carrying but it definitely makes recoil a little more stout. its really accurate! my only complaint about the gun is the coating that came on my composite stock turns purple if you get any oil on it.JW

#8 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Got the .308 for my son this Christmas... no complaints, beautiful gun, shoots MOA without too much diffculty. With some experimentation we found a powder/load that shot sub MOA consistently using nonlead bullets. Don't think you will be disappointed with this rifle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users