• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

I have been using my wifes glock 22 with the long rifle upper on it for my trap check iron. Very light. She wants her.s back so I ordered mine in 357 sig . Glock 31. The advantage arms conversions are Very accurate, @ 25 yards you can shoot better than 1" groups with a good steady bench.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

Very nice, Eric... It should serve you well!! Always nice to have something to look forward to. Congrats :yikes[1]:

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:03 AM

Nice. I am thinking of getting a 357 barrel for my SIG 229 40.

I'm an airgunholic

#4 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

Eric, good choice on the Glock 31. I have one that I really love. For around $100 you can buy a 40 cal barrel and another 100 will get you a 9mm barrel. Three Glocks for around $700, about the same price as one Sig 226 or 229. There are lots of used Glock 22 40cal mags floating around. They are exactly the same as the Glock 31 mags.The 357 Sig is an easy round to reload for.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

I get to pick it up this Friday and give it a whirl. Already ordered a set of Dawson sights and a 3.5 pound trigger bar for it. I bought some 80 grain bullets to try for a trapped coyote dispatcher, and still have enough umph for the marijuana growers.

#6 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:35 AM

Eric, good choice on the Glock 31. I have one that I really love. For around $100 you can buy a 40 cal barrel and another 100 will get you a 9mm barrel. Three Glocks for around $700, about the same price as one Sig 226 or 229. There are lots of used Glock 22 40cal mags floating around. They are exactly the same as the Glock 31 mags.The 357 Sig is an easy round to reload for.

A 9mm barrel will not work in the Glock 31. The 9mm case head is too small for the breach face. The case heads are the same for the 357 SIG and the 40 S&W, but not the 9mm. The SIG round is simply a 40 S&W case necked down to a 9mm bullet diameter.

#7 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:44 PM

Gee, I guess I'll have to stop using my 9mm barrel. Only the G31 and G22 mags don't work with the 9mm barrel. Have to use G17 mags with the 9mm barrel. Some conversions to 9mm have extraction issues and require a 9mm extractor to be installed. Some work just fine with the 357 sig/40 cal extractor, some don't. My G31 is a Gen3 model. The Gen4 model may be different.

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:39 AM

here it is the glock 31. Shoots very nice and accurate!! I changed the sights to Dawson adjustable sights ..Attached File  IMG_0707.jpg   56.65KB   13 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0706.jpg   43.26KB   15 downloads

#9 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Sweet!!!!

#10 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

Gee, I guess I'll have to stop using my 9mm barrel. Only the G31 and G22 mags don't work with the 9mm barrel. Have to use G17 mags with the 9mm barrel. Some conversions to 9mm have extraction issues and require a 9mm extractor to be installed. Some work just fine with the 357 sig/40 cal extractor, some don't. My G31 is a Gen3 model. The Gen4 model may be different.

Well good luck with that. You did not mention having to change out extractors and magazines, which is easy enough to do. There is a reason it does not work at times without changing out the extractor and magazines to ones for the 9mm. Probably a good idea to explain the whole change over process so nobody just changed out the barrel only and then relied on the pistol working as it should without making the other changes. Especially in a dire situation. Just my 2 cents worth.

#11 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

R4Hunts is absolutely correct regarding reliability for self defense. I was just making a suggestion on another way to increase the versatility of the Glock 31, not trying to give a lesson on the nuances of the conversion process. I just assumed (there's that word) that anyone would know that 9mm rounds would not feed in 40 cal./357 Sig mags due to the difference in diameter of the base of the round. The 9mm headspaces off the case neck (within the barrel) so it is held firmly in place by the breach face of the 357 Sig or 40 cal. slide even though those breach faces is slightly larger than the face on the 9mm slide assembly. Even though I have never had a malfunction when converted to 9mm, including failure to extract, I do not myself and would not recommend anyone carrying a 357 Sig/40 cal. conversion to 9mm as a duty weapon or for CCW carry due to the off chance of a failure to extract jamb. Of course the first round would work just fine but a double or triple tap is always better. An interesting side note is that the GSSF just changed their competition rules to allow conversions in the unlimited class Glock matches held around the country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users