Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

I need some advice from you air gun guys. I have a forty year old sheridan that shoots OK and I slay lots of these little buggers, however. I live up here in the mountains with the pines and oaks and these squirrels have smarten up a little. These things chew on the phone lines and cable lines and I'm tired of having the cable company out so often. Here's what I'm looking for and I have no brand prefrence or any precieved idea's about a new air gun. The two most important items to me are, 1. accuracy 2. killing ability --- the ranges I would shoot at 150 feet would probaly be a long shot most would be 50' or less. Cost is always a factor-- so don't suggest a $1000 air rifle. Otherwise I'm open to suggestion even if it's finding someone to accurize my old sheridan. This should be interesting to see what comes along---------THANKS

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

What caliber is your Sheridan out of curiosity. I would think it would be fine for the distances mentioned. I would buy a mount and scope for it maybe? You could always do the Steroid Treatment on your rifle. I have heard many people say it is quite an improvement. I am going to send mine in some day and get it done.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

Beeman R9 springer .177 will cost you $350-400 used. Nice wood stock, very accurate, nicely balanced. Built by Weihrauch in Germany and has the famous Rekord trigger which is superb. Great for hunting squirrels out to 40 yards for me. Not too heavy for carrying afield. Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 slon

slon

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, plinking, hunting, target shooting, airguns repairing, camping, traveling.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

Here is probably one of the best deals at market.For small $ you getting powerful and enough accurate springer with gas ram.Order in .22 caliber for accurate long shots.

#5 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

I would second getting the steroid treatment from MAC1 on your pumped. I don't have one personally, but I know from experiance Tim does real good work and he is great to deal with. With the steroid treatment you would have more then enough power available to deal with nutters out to 40yards or more.An RWS 34 would be next suggestion, only $220 at pyramid air. Rws isn't as nice as a beeman but they make a real nice rifle, and much less money than a beeman. Plenty of power, good trigger and very accurate.

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

For more power and staying with high quality at a reasonable price. RWS Magnum 350. You an get a true 950 fps with a heavy 22 pellet pushing the range past 50 yds and accurate.http://www.pyramydai...air-rifle.shtml

I'm an airgunholic

#7 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

What ever you choose, do yourself a big favor and also order the sample pack of pellets in the same caliber. Each and every gun shoots a different pellet.... MAYBE. This sample pack is the only way to find out what YOUR gun likes. I buy all my pellets from Walmart. They have great pellet prices. Good luck. My grandparents used to live in Paradise on Clark Ave. Very nice up there.

#8 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

Get a good air gun and have at it.You should also invite a few members up to help cull the herd. Break out the barby and cook up a few.Just a thought. :got_pics:

#9 Bobby B

Bobby B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Remember "buy once, cry once"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users