9 replies to this topic

#1 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

I have a 12gauge rem 870 with a slug barrel with a scope and it kicks like a mule..ouch at sighting it in..my scope has about 2" eye relief and will be replaced with a better eye relief.was wondering if anyone has used them with a scope and if they like it, and what also check slap?next issue if the gun moving back would be an issue with getting hit with the scope.. ouch again I would like to avoid this from happening. I plan on mounting a new scope with 2x to 7x with a 3.5" to 4" eye reliefthanks

#2 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

I have the Knoxx with that recoil reducing system, it has around an inch of rearward travel and does reduce felt recoil. Trying to use it with just the bead sight will wear your cheek out a bit (2 3/4" aren't bad at all but those 3" dead coyotes are a SOB) but I had a red dot on a Bsquare mount and it wasn't bad. The biggest downside with the Knoxx is that you can't adjust the drop (with the stock fully collapsed my face is too high to get a good sight picture with the bead), the ATI has a drop spacer you can buy separately if ya need it. There is also a company that majes a kit that can use an AR style tube and stock which could give you more options on stock choice, I can't remember the name though. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

#3 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

Hogue stocks are awesome, best feel and recoil pad is nice and squishyI dont know about ATI stocks for shotguns, but my dad bought an ATI for his Mosin and it is a really crappy stock with a hard pad on it.

#4 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

thanks for the good info guys, I'll post whatever I come up with that's a good fit for my needs.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Since you mentioned cheek slap is it safe to assume that you have an 870 with the factory synthetic stocks? They are notorious face bruisers. If you want to go a cheap, find a used wooden stock from an Express and paint it black to match the composite forearm. They are shaped differently at the comb and will be much more kind to your cheek bone. Then you can add an aftermarket recoil pad if your shoulder thinks it needs a little help.

#6 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:27 AM

Have one on my 500, kicks pretty well. Great trade off for the collapsability especially in the winter months with a jacket on

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:40 AM

I do not know any thing about ATI stocks. But I do have a lot of guns and you are right about the recoil of a slug gun. OUCH My slug gun is the hardest kicking mule in my safe. My slug gun kicks a lot harder than my 7 lb. 300 win mag as far as felt recoil is concerned. I would definitely get a scope with lots of eye relief put on yours. I am thinking I might borrow a friends lead sled next time I sight in my slug gun. I do not notice the recoil when shooting at game, But shooting it off the bench a few times will make any body not want to do that very much.

#8 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

ClampdaddyI have a rem 870 with a 870 Super Slug barrel/Scope and a wooden stock.I have shot some 3" loads from my uncle with I was kid and I don't think his home loads where that mean after the shooting the slugs.2-3/4" Hornady SST Sabot Slugs 300gr. for sight in and for hunting (Branes) Federal Vital shock. the 2 slugs types have the same balistics drop for 150yrds.bench shooting to sight in the scope and it was 4" off at 25 yards with 2 rounds adjusted sight and was grouping good for 25yrds total 5 rnds.moved to 50 yrds shot 3 rnds for group and adjusted again 2 more rnds, total 5 rndssome monkey boy at the range swipes my target while I was talking care of my 6 yrd target for the ole pistol. I was looking for some relief from the slugs at this point. reset up a target at 50yrds and start again 5 more rnds, my shoulder is in pain at this point and bruises are a coming.now I am pulling the trigger and my rounds are all over the place in a 4" group at 50yrds.2 things that concerned me about going to the synthetic stocks like ATI or Blackhawk w/power pack and recoil reduction system was the check slap and distance from check piece to scope.I didn't think about after market pads, so thanks for the tip.I am going to invest in a new scope and a 12 g laser pointer to get scope & barrel matched up before live rnds for sighting new scope. I am still bruised from last weekend.Bennie, I just need to borrow a lead sled..

#9 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Two friends and I all went and bought H & R Ultra Slug Hunters a couple years ago. When sighting them in, I shot first and CUSSED LOUD after every shot until I got mine where I wanted it. Todd said that thing can't be that bad Bennie, you are just messing with us. I said BS, your next. Todd shot his one time and walked away from the table cussing. Told me I was going to have to sight his in too, He was not shooting that thing any more. I started calling him girl names that I can not put in print here. So he sat down and put about four more through it cussing every shot. We then took turns on Todd's gun, because I told him I would shoot shot for shot with him on it to get it ready to go hunting in a couple days. Raith thought we were both messing with him and had set him up for a joke as he was watching us shoot and cuss and laugh at each other. He was saying stuff like you guys are kidding right???? It can't kick that bad!! Raith shot his one time and said you guys are going to have to finish it, that thing is hurting my ankle. His ankle was badly broke at the time. I started calling him girly names also, and telling him his ankle was a long ways from his heart and shoulder. He never would shoot it again that day. Go and just buy one of those slip on recoil pads that slip over your stock and use it just to sight in. Or use a lead sled. I would rather shoot any one of my belted magnums 20 times as shoot my slug gun once. Just get something like this.Limb Saver Recoil Pad

#10 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Bennie,thanks for tip and thats a good idea just to use for sighting in and remove for hunt and real funny story too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users