#1 southwestca

southwestca

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests: Shooting,Hunting,fishing

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

I recently purchased used complete upper (Stag Lefty Flat Top) I would like to change the barrel assembly so it will be more CA compliant right now it has bayonet lug and a threaded flash hider on it.Considering Delton 20" post ban barrel comes with everything for 188.00 plus shipping also has hand guard options Free float tubes etc.for extra $$$ of course.I am leaning towards predator type buildHas anyone used delton in there builds pros and cons maybe other makes you prefer open to suggestion

#2 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

Removing the lug and flash hider will not make it CA compliant. There is no "more CA compliant" it either is or it isn't. if you still keep the pistol grip and detachable magazine it will still meet the criteria of an illegal "assault weapon". Better read up and understand the OLL configurations and the law. Start here with the http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf.

#3 southwestca

southwestca

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

I have not put together my lower yet, It will have a Bullet button or the magazine locking system on it on it and of course be registered. I was just wanting to remove some of the evil features that California is so against. I talked to JD Machine and they will pin my flash hider for me for 50.00 so for now I am not going to change my barrel I am thinking the Stag barrel that is already on it is probably a better quality than the del-ton. Thank you for responding to my post. I have been getting so much information online makes trying to wade through it and make the proper choices difficult.

#4 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:47 PM

No worries. I look at it more as a legal or not, whether they like the features or not is irrelevant to me. As long as you have a pistol grip, a CA compliant device and a 10 round mag it's all the same, there are no degrees of evilness with any other features, it's legal. There is no registration requirement, in fact you cannot register it b/c it's not listed by name on the list and due to it has a CA compliant device does not make it an AW. As it stands now, your rifle is 100% legal as long as you maintain a pistol grip, Bullet Button and a 10 round mag. Why spend the extra $50 to pin on a flash hider that doesn't need to be? If you want to for aesthetics or whatever suits your fancy I can understand but to think to yourself it's more legal, it isn't.

#5 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

Having your flash hider pinned is kind of a waste of money, but it's your money.I wouldn't worry about the legality so much, off-list AR's are pretty common and accepted (by those that matter: LEO).Just make sure you have a bullet-button and don't ever stick a 10+ mag in it.

#6 southwestca

southwestca

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Just got home from Parallax Tactical first chance to read the replies, The guy at the store talked me out of pinning the flash hider, He said the same thing you guys said. I talked myself into a muzzle brake though, I bought a Nordic Tactical compensator (40.00) From what I have read a decent muzzle brake will reduce muzzle rise. Now I am going buy a lower, I can get a JD or spike for 100+ Tax and another 25 for the dros from my local FFL. Is that a good price?Thanks again for your input it does make it easier.Tom

#7 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

100 bones is about going rate for a stripped lower. Can't go wrong with either. If you're patient and watch Calguns you can find sales or group buys on them for $70 or so, but for an off the shelf price you're doing ok. I'm not a muzzle brake guy, esp. for 5.56. There's no appreciable recoil/muzzle rise to justify the extra noise I'm going to have to put up with. Now if I had a 50 BMG, that would be a different story... :( Don't forget to post pic's when you're done with the build. I guess PT doesn't have any more Aero lowers? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=361502&highlight=aero.Better read http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=398152 about JD lowers, stick with Spikes...

#8 southwestca

southwestca

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

I am trying to be patient to get a good price I know a few people who are happy with JD Lowers I was planning on taking my upper to my Gun shop and see just how well the fit is before I forked over the cash. I know JD Machine will let me do that not sure if my gun shop will. I live close to both.I am thinking about buying at least two lowers, I just know I will want to build another one, also will save on the dros that way. Where is Calguns located are they in San Diego? I know if if I have lowers shipped to my ffl theywill charge more. I have not aked JD Machine what they will do as far as discounts on purchasing more than one at a time. Parallax had some lowers there Did not ask them about discounted price though. I am trying to the price on this one down,I paid 350 for the stag upper and I picked up a complete A2 rifle stock assembly for 15 on craigs list. The next build knowing myself the way I do it will be more of a custom build. Maybe a different caliber.

#9 southwestca

southwestca

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

100 bones is about going rate for a stripped lower. Can't go wrong with either. If you're patient and watch Calguns you can find sales or group buys on them for $70 or so, but for an off the shelf price you're doing ok. I'm not a muzzle brake guy, esp. for 5.56. There's no appreciable recoil/muzzle rise to justify the extra noise I'm going to have to put up with. Now if I had a 50 BMG, that would be a different story... :yikes[1]: Don't forget to post pic's when you're done with the build. I guess PT doesn't have any more Aero lowers? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=361502&highlight=aero.Better read http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=398152 about JD lowers, stick with Spikes...

I checked out those Aero Lowers at PT as you suggested. They look good. I can get three for 220.00 + Tax and the 25.00 DROS fee. If my math is correct that works out to be about 88.00 Total per registered lower. Read a lot of good reviews on the Aero lower I set one under my upper without pins Line up and fit looked nice. I am going to go back on tuesday and do the deal. I dont really need three presently, Just think I will be better off getting them now before Calif. Gets anymore bright Ideas. Thanks for the heads up. Also returned the muzzle brake I didnt like it fit with the peel washer. Going to use that credit to buy a set of those AR vise clamps. Thanks again Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users