12 replies to this topic

#1 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:25 AM

So I have been mostly a lurker with a few questions previously on here with great results. Thank you for that. I took the next step and finally got my HSC done as well as paid for my hunting license and picked up a pig tag. Now I am trying to put together my gear. I would appreciate to hear from the experienced here about what sort of things as a beginner I should be taking with me on a day hunting trip. If I try to figure this out on my own without input I know I will be packing in twice as much as I need and still be forgetting something. Obviously I have my rifle already and thats about it. I have gear from when I was in the military so that will be a go to for stuff as well.

#2 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

How about a very good knife and a way to sharpen it or another knife. Rope to suspend your game and to drag it out. i take a game bag too so as to pack out the inners, if you like to eat them. GPS, Cell phone, small flash light and basic survival gear. Oh a VERY GOOD rifle sling. I take a good but small set of wide eyes too.

#3 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

Do you guys where electronic shooting ears when you hunt? I know mine actually amplify ambient noise until I fire when I am at the range so I can hear better.

#4 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

What...what ...I can't hear you because I didn't protect my hearing....hun...what???Ears on...shoot....ears off...stalk....ears on...shoot. :sport037fn4:

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

Rifle, shells, Hunting License and Tag, with ink pen. Back Pack. Good knife and small steel to sharpen. Small Flash Light. Water proof matches. 20' 550 cord. Toilet Paper. Drinking water. Food. Couple of plastic bags. Camera. Extra light clothes to dress in layers. Very small medical kit. Gets to heavy to carry far if I bring much more.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#6 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

Good info guys, I already saw a few things that I didnt think of. Like the Camera. That would suck to get my first kill and no way to record it.

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

I used to only carry extra ammo, and TP. but now I need a few gun barrers. Bob Robb, wrote a good book on hog hunting in CA. it has some good sugestions about gear. if you will PM me your info Ill send you a copy that was given to me. I only ask that you pass it on when you are done with it. DR

#8 terrace

terrace

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:hunt fish travel

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

latex gloves

#9 yote9999

yote9999

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, scuba diving, helicopters, airplanes, mounting biking, and family

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

TP is a must!!!

#10 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

TP? i said to bring a sharp knife.... thats what shirt sleeves are for..

#11 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

(Not really basic just my normal pack)I carry a very sharp knife, a rifle of course, ammo and extra ammo, a side arm (45acp), binoculars, shooting sticks, a gps with the truck as a waypoint before you start your hunt, TP, a first aid kit, a rattlesnake bite kit( you never know), and basic survival gear, this is whatis in my pac every time I go out but that is just meee... :hellohello9il:

#12 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

WATER! A sharp knife and hone steel, a hat, binoculars, maybe a rangefinder, extra ammo (amount depends on the type of hunting), bipod/shooting sticks, cheesecloth to cover meat with once skinned and gutted, ziplock bags (for smaller game), MAP AND COMPASS/GPS, extra socks/shirts, calls, comfortable boots, rain shell (you never know), rope, string, food, matches, hatchet (if needed), written permission to hunt (on private land), copy of ordinances regulations (if anyone doubts your legality), licences, tags, phone/way to contact if something goes wrong (remember that cell phones dont work everywhere), a first aid/snakebite kit, a repair kit for anything that could break(ie. tent, bike tires, blinds), MORE WATER!!!, the knowledge of your land and the will to hunt!Sorry if this seemed lengthy, you can filter out unrelated items. Remember to pack light, you can cook fine on a small canister stove, you dont need a portable kitchen.And have fun!

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

Looks like the above posters have it covered. The one thing I'd add is some sort of bone saw. One of my knives has a bone saw on it and it is very handy for splitting pelvis bones or cutting small branches. Oh, and a tube of super glue for emergency stitches.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users