• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

for those who have one, it says the new model also reads longitude and latitude. what I cant find is will I be able to enter a LL number off a map and have it lead me there? the instructions say I can mark a location and it will lead me back but can I go in reverse? I like the idea, I like that its simple, and I like the price. Im just wondering if it can do what I want. DR

#2 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:12 AM

I've had mine for a couple years and love it as it's simple, pretty rugged and very dependable as it works great. I cannot plug in any numbers into mine and have not read about that model. With mine you have to be at a spot you want to get back to...like your car before leaving on an extended hike. You hold the button in until it sets, then just hike or hunt wherever you care and for as long as you want. When it's time to return, you have a straight line directional arrow to follow. The only way you could go in reverse is by setting another spot somewhere out in the woods you would want to hunt, fish, etc. for a later day. It may not be enough for many as mine only has three positions to 'set'. They are locked there until you set another location in to replace that one. They are handy tools to find your origination points and it has a stricttly compass mose as well; but it does have it's limitations. It is not an orienteering tool. More like a survival tool to me, but I like it. I see where folks use them to mark their cars location in mammouth parking lots like Disneyworld, etc I'd do some further checking before you buy one as mine does not do the things you'd like it to do.

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

Other than a family using it to mark their car at Disneyland, I just don't see much use for this gadget - not when a standard GPS does the same thing better - (more expensive, but my Oregon includes a topo map set, turn-by-turn street maps, backtracking log, and all my Geocaches in one convenient package...)

#4 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

having been lost a time or two, I picked up one of these at Big 5 Sporting Goods for a cheep 35 bucks, Going out next week to try a new area, Hopefully it works as advertised.

#5 Mayhem in Carmichael

Mayhem in Carmichael

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Fly fishing, camping, Nascar, NFL, Dancing :)

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

This is the model we have: http://www.cabelas.c...track-gps.shtmlCannot enter Lat/Long for a location where you want to go. It's just to allow you to return to a particular spot. LOVED it when we went to Indian Valley Reservoir. When scouting, if we decided a place looked good, we could use on the three 'markers' to mark the spot so we could come back later. Also marked our campsite and the car when we took out to various trails, etc. LOVE IT! Works as advertised...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users