I had just ordered a pair of weazel balls a few days before Varmint Al posted up his Singing to the Coyotes Video
with the New & Improved version of the Weazel Ball Decoy. Shown here on his site
.I had plans to make one of the traditional decoys, but after seeing his video & the "How To" on his site, I just had to build one.But I did not have a welder or any close friends near by with one either.I already had several pieces of 3/16" steel rods a little over 2' long, so I just put the end of one, in my bench vise & made a 2" long 90 degree bend, then I ground a sharp point on the other end of the rod, to stick it in the ground.I wanted to be able to securely attach the weazel to the stake & still be able to change the batteries & transport it easily.What I settled on, was bending the end of the rod to wrap around the motor of the decoy. I left a small amount of play in it so I could remove the decoy without to much trouble.I did this using my bench vise, a 4lbs. hammer & a pair of pliers. I had to play with it a bit to get it just right.Heres a picture of the rod I bent.
Heres with the Weazel Ball attached, I used a small piece of 1/8" Camo Bungee cord to hold the motor in place.
Like I said before I do not have a welder so I had to think outside the box a little bit, plus I'm notoriously cheap & I'm pretty good at Afro Engineering, so I had to figure out a way to make the little piece to stick out, that the tail of the weazel ball hits & makes it flip erratically.I took a 4" long piece of the 3/16" steel rod & bent it to 90 degrees.While still trying to figure out how to attach it to the other rod, I looked down on my work bench & saw a cheap Black & White, Bic Ink Pen, I pulled it apart & the 3/16" rod slid right inside with just a little bit of slop in it. A single wrap of electrical tape around the steel rod made it nice & snug.I cut the pen in half & simply taped it to the 3/16" rod, the small 90 degree piece I made slid right inside, but is snug enough that it doesent move when the tail of the decoy hits it.
I actually prefer this method to welding it in place, since I can remove the small 90 degree piece for easier transport which is another plus, but its also something else to misplace.The rod I started out with was 2' tall, but I wanted to copy the original design as much as possible, to make it compact & easily packable, but I did not have anything to couple 2 of the rods together, so I scrounged up another Bic Pen & removed the guts & used it for a coupler.I cut the 2' tall rod in half, I had to put a tight wrap of electrical tape on the end of the ground rod, so that the Bic Pen would fit snugly. I pushed it onto the bottom rod about 2" & its snug enough to stay in place.
I coupled the 2 rods together using my highly scientific "Bic Coupler" & it actually helped add a bit of motion due to the joint in the middle of the rod, which allows the decoy to spin 360* I painted everything kacki & olive drab (My 2 favorite colors in the world)Heres everything layed out together.
Here it is in working order.Heres a Video of the Weazel Ball in Action
. Heres another video showing how to build one from scratch.
Hope you guys like it.Thanks again to Varmint Al for posting that video up, Lee