#1 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

I had just ordered a pair of weazel balls a few days before Varmint Al posted up his Singing to the Coyotes Video with the New & Improved version of the Weazel Ball Decoy. Shown here on his site.I had plans to make one of the traditional decoys, but after seeing his video & the "How To" on his site, I just had to build one.But I did not have a welder or any close friends near by with one either.I already had several pieces of 3/16" steel rods a little over 2' long, so I just put the end of one, in my bench vise & made a 2" long 90 degree bend, then I ground a sharp point on the other end of the rod, to stick it in the ground.I wanted to be able to securely attach the weazel to the stake & still be able to change the batteries & transport it easily.What I settled on, was bending the end of the rod to wrap around the motor of the decoy. I left a small amount of play in it so I could remove the decoy without to much trouble.I did this using my bench vise, a 4lbs. hammer & a pair of pliers. I had to play with it a bit to get it just right.Heres a picture of the rod I bent.Posted ImageHeres with the Weazel Ball attached, I used a small piece of 1/8" Camo Bungee cord to hold the motor in place.Posted ImageLike I said before I do not have a welder so I had to think outside the box a little bit, plus I'm notoriously cheap & I'm pretty good at Afro Engineering, so I had to figure out a way to make the little piece to stick out, that the tail of the weazel ball hits & makes it flip erratically.I took a 4" long piece of the 3/16" steel rod & bent it to 90 degrees.While still trying to figure out how to attach it to the other rod, I looked down on my work bench & saw a cheap Black & White, Bic Ink Pen, I pulled it apart & the 3/16" rod slid right inside with just a little bit of slop in it. A single wrap of electrical tape around the steel rod made it nice & snug.I cut the pen in half & simply taped it to the 3/16" rod, the small 90 degree piece I made slid right inside, but is snug enough that it doesent move when the tail of the decoy hits it.Posted ImagePosted ImageI actually prefer this method to welding it in place, since I can remove the small 90 degree piece for easier transport which is another plus, but its also something else to misplace.The rod I started out with was 2' tall, but I wanted to copy the original design as much as possible, to make it compact & easily packable, but I did not have anything to couple 2 of the rods together, so I scrounged up another Bic Pen & removed the guts & used it for a coupler.I cut the 2' tall rod in half, I had to put a tight wrap of electrical tape on the end of the ground rod, so that the Bic Pen would fit snugly. I pushed it onto the bottom rod about 2" & its snug enough to stay in place.Posted ImageI coupled the 2 rods together using my highly scientific "Bic Coupler" & it actually helped add a bit of motion due to the joint in the middle of the rod, which allows the decoy to spin 360* I painted everything kacki & olive drab (My 2 favorite colors in the world)Heres everything layed out together.Posted ImageHere it is in working order.Posted ImageHeres a Video of the Weazel Ball in Action. Heres another video showing how to build one from scratch.Hope you guys like it.Thanks again to Varmint Al for posting that video up, Lee

#2 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

Lee, pretty clever! With your talents, who needs a welder? By the way, how is it coming with getting your FoxPro fixed?

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hey Mick, you know that Prey Master I was telling you I had to send back? Well, I did and they found some real problems with it. But for $60 they are going to send me a new unit and remote. Can't beat that for a caller I bought used. By the way guys, it is a PM 4.

#4 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

Braz----good job! Between my decoy, that kind of looks like Lee's and my PM3, I should do OK, if it ever stops snowing up here.

#5 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

Yea I know. I can't get to my cabin. And it's suppose to be snowing up there, starting next Tuesday, for another 5 or 6 days. Dang, not sure when I'll get there.

#6 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

Mick,The Fox Pro is working great now, I just need time to escape & do some more calling. You'll have to tell me about your new caller & your decoy.Braz, Good luck on making it up the hill, I heard the same weather report, Lord knows we need the Snow up in the hills, but it still makes it tough on anyone who lives up there.Glad you guys liked the decoy.Lee

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:13 AM

Very cool on the decoy, Lee. Coincidentally, I have one en route to me as we speak. And I don't have a welder either. ;) I'll put this thread to use. Thanks.

#8 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

Good deal Jeff, glad it will help.Lee

#9 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:25 AM

I made a video of the decoy in motion, Hope you guys like it.Lee

#10 Varmint Al

Varmint Al

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Computers

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

Looks Great. Is it ok with you if I put a link to the video on my Coyote Hunting Page?Good Hunting... from Varmint Al Posted Image

#11 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

I'd be honored Al :roflmao3[1]: Lee

#12 Varmint Al

Varmint Al

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Computers

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Lee. I put up a link to your YouTube video and also to this thread with the construction pictures. By the way, I have generated a new calling sequence with the Excruciator call from Butcher. There is a link to the MP3 file on my Coyote hunting page. It has been downloaded more than 4,000 times already this month. You guys are welcome to download it. It is at the top of the list of free calling sounds.Good Hunting... from Varmint Al Posted Image

#13 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks Al, I sent you a PMI'll have to check out the new calls & add to my arsenal :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Lee

#14 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

Heres another video showing how to build one from scratch.Lee

#15 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

I built mine this weekend. Went with a super simple approach because I didn't have a lot of time. I took a piece of 1/4" threaded rod and simply drilled a hole through the plastic "fin" that is on the battery compartment. I put threaded nuts on either side of the fin, and viola! Painted it, staked it in the ground, and it works like a charm. We'll see if it's strong enough to hold up over time. Works for now. Total cost = ~$8.00 (including shipping from amazon).

#16 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:57 AM

Good action bet it will work great

#17 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

We need a close up picture of that!

#18 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

Jeff, Wheres the picture? Any update on your decoy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users