• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

I ended with with a SIG 229R 40 SW that I had no intention of buying am wondering what folks think of them. My buddy's son bought one about 2 years ago shot 1/2 a box of ammo through it and just let it sit. Then he bought a Kimber TLE SS 45 a few months ago and decided he wanted a 9mm instead of the SIG. I had bought a Beretta 92A1 9mm about a year ago and shot a few boxes through it. His dad asked me if I would trade my 9mm which his son wanted for the SIG 40SW and after a little research and recommendation from my retired cop buddy I said sure so we traded. Did I do okay? I paid $580 for the Beretta and he paid $825 for the SIG so I felt I couldn't go wrong. Both guns have 2 boxes oe less of ammo through them. I shot a couple og magazines through the SIG and it seems to be a very accurate gun. I personally think the Beretta is the more attractive gun but at $245 price differential I can learn to live with the SIG. I ordered up some fancy walnut grips for it from grips4u. I found the 357 SIG barrel for $130 online and may pick it up as well. I don't know much about SIGs. What do you think?

I'm an airgunholic

#2 goosebrown

goosebrown

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Ceramics. WEB programming. Varmint hunting and possibly pig hunting.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

What do you think?

I think you should be ashamed of yourself taking advantage of your son that way... You scored. I am not a SIG guy, but I think they are pretty damned reliable and good. I don't like Barettas so much so for me it is a big trade up for you.
Keep your family close... and armed.Matt Brown

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

I've been shooting one of my Sig P220's without any complaints for 29 years. It always works and is a very smooth and accurate shooter.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

It's actually a 69 year old friend's 45 year old son and I told him there was a price differential. My son would never do that. :-)It say the magazines and slide spring is fine for either the 40SW or 357 SIG barrels. I have never seen a spring quite like that one. It is braided.

I'm an airgunholic

#5 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

I have the P229 40/357 and it's my everyday carry gun.It runs thru 40 & 357 like a dream.As for the caliber swap just drop in the barrel change and go.No slide change no mag change just load and go.

#6 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

:P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is THE next pistol on my want list.I've shot a 228 in 9mm and 229 in both .40 and.357.with all three they were a simple,put the sights where you want the bullet to go.accurate accurate accurate!Glove like feel in my hand. :smiley_green_with_envy: I still wouldn't trade any of my 1911's for one. :rofl2:
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#7 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

I've been shooting one of my Sig P220's without any complaints for 29 years. It always works and is a very smooth and accurate shooter.

+1 I have the P220 Carry, it's my go to gun. I had a glock that went bang everytime, but felt like a 2x4. Sig is awesome, also goes bang everytime, I trust my life with it.

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

Put some wlanut grips on the P229. Feels real good.Attached File  1.jpg   12.59KB   14 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   11.8KB   14 downloads

I'm an airgunholic

#9 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

You made a great deal. I my opinion the Sig 226 is an excellent weapon. Great carry gun, duty gun or just to shoot for fun. Buy the 357 Sig barrel. You can use the 40 cal magazines with both. Like an idiot, I sold my Sig 226 in 9mm. Best handgun I ever owned. I should wear a "Kick me hard!" sign on the seat of my pants.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#10 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

I bought a new SIG 357 barrel from Dury Guns in Texas for $120 they stuck on auction arms. I have bought from them before.

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users