Photo

What sequence are you using on your foxpro?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stevowpappas

stevowpappas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Right now since coyotes are pairing up I am thinking of trying a female or male challenge call for about 30 sec then straight to lightening jack. What are you guys using?

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

Stevow, no set sequence here on the paired up coyotes... or even non paired for that matter.Distress rabbit is still likely the primary sounds used. However, IMO, this time of year is still more difficult to call them in (for various reasons) no matter the sound used. BUT, changing up sounds can help of course, including coyote vocals as you say.With that said, two weeks ago exactly, we called in a pair of dogs & killed the female that appeared in heat(?) The male got away but shouldn't have (long story). In any case, I was semi-bummed about killing the female & semi glad the male got away. Anyway, this pair was called in on rabbit distress in approx 8 minutes. Then again, last weekend we had at least one pack and several other single coyotes howling at us on a couple different stands, but they would not come in on any sound we tried. When the coyotes did respond with their vocals, was only after we originated the howling with various &/or combination of howls / coyote vocals. Anyway, one can definitely bring in a dog on occasion with coyote vocals, but ya just never know for sure when or which ones will work. I think a couple of our favorites are the original greeting howls, female invitational & coyote pups crys. But hey? I personally only use the challenge howl as a last resort which has worked, but has also been our least productive. For us!Besides the rabbit distress, & after a greeting howl for instance, you could use the puppy yipes instead of rabbit distress. Both ways has worked for us & has probably been our most productive method. If you get a howl(s) back before using the puppy or rabbit distress, I normally would give just ONE more greeating howl & then followed up by a distress sound. Normally!There are of course MULTIPLE ways of doing this. The main thing I believe in calling difficult dogs is to mix it up. Another is to use deer bleeps/distress or other distress sound, mixed in with crow fighting sounds & going back & forth between the two.I could go on forever, but I would use up all of ShooterJohn's tape here. Hopefully you get the "drift" of my nonsense. Good Luck and let us know how you doFrank

#3 stevowpappas

stevowpappas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

Brought one in and my buddy hit it on the run this morning. It was our first stand and my first time using the spitfire. Which I am not so sure if it is a loud enough caller for me now? I used female challenge howl for 1 minute and then lightening jack.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

Outstanding, Stevo, and Congratulations on slaying that coyote...Yeah, one of my (2) foxpro's is the spitfire that I felt did not have enough volume either, so I purchased an external speaker for it from foxpro and now works much better/louder to my liking. Keep up the good workFrank

#5 stevowpappas

stevowpappas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

might just upgrade now and go with the fury. When I asked about adding an external speaker I was told it wouldnt get much louder because it still runs on 4 AA batteries. But you say it got noticeably louder?

#6 trn2kill

trn2kill

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Outstanding, Stevo, and Congratulations on slaying that coyote...Yeah, one of my (2) foxpro's is the spitfire that I felt did not have enough volume either, so I purchased an external speaker for it from foxpro and now works much better/louder to my liking. Keep up the good workFrank

I to was having that same problem with the spitfire not being loud enough. In some places like the desert i feel i just need more sound to travel. What external speaker did you buy to make it louder? thanks Joe

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

Joe, mine is called the SP55 external speaker for $54.95. I can't recall paying that much when I got mine, but I may have since it was just last year that I bought it.Also, I leave both the call box and external speaker "ON" even though it supposedly drains the battery faster per FoxPro, along with their claim that it is not necessary (to have both speakers on at the same time). However, they did also semi agree with my thought, that it sounds better & louder with both on at the same time. Sooo???I doubt if I would even use it without that external speaker, is how much better I like it with, than without. But that is just me of course (a disclaimer / LOL). Good LuckFrank

#8 stevowpappas

stevowpappas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Ordered and received my SP-55. From what I can tell using it indoors the additional speaker is going to be a big improvement. I wonder how long the batteries will last now?

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

Man, you didn't waste any time on ordering that puppy. LOL And glad you like it!Well, if you have both speakers on at the same time, like I do, the batteries will drain much faster of course. I have not had that happen yet as I do not use my spitfire as often as my 416. Plus, using Lithium (sp?) batteries will give you Substantially longer battery life & works much better, including with the remote than any other battery... Espeically in freezing temps that standard batteries may not work at all in. This goes for some cameras also btw. OH, but they are expensive. A down side to everything.Anyway, good luck on your future hunts and keep us postedFrank p.s. a lithium battery is not needed for the remote, but it (remote) will work better with lithium batteries in the call box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users