#1 Tundra

Tundra

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hunting<br />Computers<br />Sports<br />Banjo pickin

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

I handloaded some 300 grain Barnes XXX in my .375 H&H this fall and smacked a dall sheep with em. I was suprised at how much these bullets broke up. I found a bunch of copper fragments and had to hit it a couple of times to drop it. I never experienced this with regular barnes X bullets. I told a guy at the sporting goods store about it and he said someone else had come in recently saying they had to put 5 in a brown bear to take it down. ;) These two incidents give me cause for concern. Anyone here have anything good or bad to report about these bullets?

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

Over on AccurateReloading.com a bunch of people are using the 300 grain TSX on Cape Buffalo instead of the old one soft, then all solids philosophy. I load the 300 TSX in my 375 H&H but I haven't taken any big game with them yet. The 140 grain TSX in my 7 Mag performed perfectly in half a dozen mid sized animals (antelope/deer). With caliber size entrance holes, 1" to 1-1/4" exit holes and red soup in the internals, with pinpoint accuracy.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

I had one bad experiance with some .257 cal. 100gr. boattails in my 25-06. While attempting to put down a deer that a hunting partner hit to far back. At a little over 400 yds I hit the deer in the neck about halfway up the deer showed no indication of being hit. The bullet zipped thru and seems to have failed to expand. I say this because after a good half hour of ribing from my friends about missing that deer we found the wound in the neck only after we got the skin off. The holes in the hide were so small they were hard to find even from the side without fur. That got me thinking and I ran a torch tip cleaner down the nose cavity of some of the remaining bullets and found that a few were only about 1/8th inch deep while others went about half the length of the bullet. I'm just now getting to the point that I'll consider shooting X bullets again because I've heard that they've improved alot in the last few years but I'll definitly be checking the cavity depth on my hunting ammo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users