• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:56 AM

I went shooting yesterday with my crosman Quest 1000 and noticed there was a sort of "dead space" from when you broke the barrel and when the spring was actually engaged. When I got home I tore the whole thing down, didnt need a spring compresser as there was no preload at all. As I pulled out the spring I noticed that it had snapped and started to thread into the rest of the spring. Ill post some pictures later. Ive put 1000nds of rounds through this gun but didnt expect this, is this normal?

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

Springs on air rifles are "consummables," that is, they do wear out (or break) and eventually have to be replaced regardless of what spring gun you have. Contact Tim at Mac1 Airguns if you need parts or service because he's the man on Crosman stuff. And he's local here in Los Angeles.

#3 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

I was looking at those fancy nitro piston gas rams, do they fit in the quest spring tube? They sound a lot queiter and more powerful. Are they any good? I havent heard much about them.

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

Pete,If your thinking about getting an after market gas piston like the ones in the NPSS then your probably out of luck as far as it fitting into a Quest. I have both guns and have looked into it myself. The piston and receiver diameter is larger on the NPSS than the Quest. The only way you could get it to work would require some machining. Now I happen to have installed a gas piston into my Quest but it required me swapping out pistons between my Quest and my Gamo Whisper. What I would recommend would be the rebuild kit from Rich in Mich that comes with a Maccarri Spring. Mc

#5 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

last I asked Tim was no longer working on springers. I have a macarri E9870spring in my BAM-26 which I have read also fits the crosmans.They shouldn't break at 1000 shots. I've gone 5000+ on several guns.A spring IS going to get weak or break, but at 1000, you got a dud.
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#6 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

Now I happen to have installed a gas piston into my Quest but it required me swapping out pistons between my Quest and my Gamo Whisper. What I would recommend would be the rebuild kit from Rich in Mich that comes with a Maccarri Spring.

I wanted to but im going to have to scrape together a lot of cash for it, $70 is pretty expensive when you have no job. As for the spring breaking that was after thousands of shots down the barrel. Ive been trying to contact crosman about a new spring but their hours are 6:00am-2:30pm, pretty much the entire time im at school.

#7 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

I wanted to but im going to have to scrape together a lot of cash for it, $70 is pretty expensive when you have no job. As for the spring breaking that was after thousands of shots down the barrel. Ive been trying to contact crosman about a new spring but their hours are 6:00am-2:30pm, pretty much the entire time im at school.

Pete fire me off an email with a shipping addess. I think I still have my old Crosman spring that I replaced. It should hold you over until you can scrape up the money for a replacement.

#8 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

Thats fine I just got a hold of crosman this morning and a new spring is only $9 shipped. It would take a pretty long time for me to get enough money together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users