#1 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

This is my first post in the AR-15 Forum, because this is my first AR.It started out as a 6.8mm build, but my buddy lost interest in it and sold it to me. He was going purely tactical on it. I wanted a standard .223 varmint rifle. It sat in my safe for about 18 months, and I recently picked up a Bushmaster upper (flat-top).I mounted a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 x 14 - 40 scope. I went through the break-in on it today, but it was too windy to try to zero the scope. I started out with cleaning the bore and firing one round, and then cleaning again. I did this 3 times and then began to notch it up with 3 round groups, 5 and eventually ten. I fired a total of 100 rounds without any proplems.The collapsible stock is neat, but not practical for this set-up. I considered going with a standard AR-15 stock. My friend told me that this stock might be too long for a scope. The stock I have works only if fully extended.Also, the charging handle is a little hard to get to between the upper reciever and the scope. I am considering an extended handle.I am familiar with the platform from my military years, but I have never owned one and know very little about the parts that make them work. Any suggestions?

#2 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:07 AM

If you have the carbine length buffer tube you might want to try switching that with a rifle length tube (if the buttstock will work with it), if weight isn't an issue you could go with the standard A2 buttstock and if you don't mind forking out a couple of hundred dollars there are a few companies that make precision rifle stocks with adjustable cheek rests etc. As for the charging handle you can buy just the latch portion, or they also have a bolt carrier with a handle that sticks out of the ejection port (search for side charging handle bolt). There is a ton of stuff you can do with the AR platform your imagination and wallet are the only limitations.
Ne Desit Virtus

#3 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:10 AM

Thanks,This is the rundown so far.AFM receiverRock River Arms parts kit w/upgraded springsCAA CBS CAR buttstock (OD green)CAA grip (OD green)CAA buffer, tube & spring Bullet ButtonBushmaster Predator 20" upper receiver 1:8 twist (69-77 grain recommended)My friend put everthing together except the upper receiver. He also added a MagPull sling swivel and a Multi Mission sling, as well as some other tactical add-ons such as an extra magazine holder on the stock, etc. I'm still looking for that box of stuff....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users