• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

A friend of mine said he's been seeing ground squirrels out around his 2.5 acre place with the warmer weather and asked me to help reduce the population. His house is on a hill and they're undermining his foundation. It was gorgeous out today, about 70 here in sunny Southern California. So I brought my R9 over and set up my walker shooting bench. The bench worked great and I shot off my open palm using a Caldwell bag as a rest. Got 4 of them using Field Target Special 8.9 grainers.The first was about 50 yards. It was a solid body shot but the squirrel made it back to its hole. The second was a head shot at 30 yards which dropped it DRT. The third was another head shot at about 40 yards. It tumbled down the hill and was also DRT. The fourth was peeking out from behind some rocks at about 45 yards. Saw the pellet strike it in the right side of the head but it made it down into its hole. At least that's four that won't be contributing to this year's population explosion. Here's the two that didn't make it back down their holes. Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:58 AM

Good Job RA,I've been seeing a lot more lately myself. :smiley-outta-here: It never ceases to amaze me how tough those little buggers are. Unless you get them in the ticker or flip their light switch, they will manage to do the one arm crawl back to their den every time.

#3 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

:smiley-outta-here: Terrific...great to see somebody racking up the varmint pile stats.Nice fat ones too!Congrats...I'm really itching to pull the trigger on a few myself.:rolleyes:

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:34 AM

Way to go on the ground squirrels! It is surprising how destructive they can be. They went up in the frame of a dump trailer at one of my coworkers house and chewed all the wiring up. His other half has a real small dog, so poison is not an option. He said he will be calling me as soon as they start coming out good. He has also been asking what air rifle to buy. LOL I think he is mad at them.

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

Thanks, guys. I think they're out earlier than usual because of all this warm weather we've been having. And the erosion they cause is horrendous. There's probably 20 or more still out there so I'll probably go back in a few days and try for a few more. I'd love to use my 17 HMR because I saw some that were 70 - 125 yards away and they would scurry off before I could get into range. But this neighborhood has too many folks that would complain. May have to get a Marauder one of these days.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

That's the way to start off the ground squirrel wars. They are tough little critters and anything that will eat one of it own is a worthy adversary. They can be terribly destructive around buildings or anywhere their digging goes unchecked. My neighbor had to have her barn jacked back up and the foundation reinforced because of their tunneling. I told her when she first saw them stealing grain from the stables she should let me get rid of them. She finally tried to poison them with some rat poison and killed several of her chickens in the process. Now when she sees one she calls me to come get it. The R9 is a perfect gun for them at 50 yards and less. I sometimes use even my R7 on the close ones if I have a good hiding spot to view them. But my favorite gun is my FX Monsoon if there are several of the little critters around. Being a semi auto when you fire the others aren't tipped off as when you normally reload. I'm sure the land owner is happy to see them gone. You might even get some additional property to hunt nearby.

#7 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

Like it. Birth control for squirrels. Thanks for the post.

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

On horse ranches I do taking out those squeeks I use squirrel food from Walmart...just put handfull down about 3-4 ft from their burrow (in your kill zone)..in most cases at 4 ft,they don't make it back to their holes....and one big plus about those wounded runners that make to their holes is they die and the rest will eventually abandon the burrow...I've done 6 different horse ranches in past two years...and now is the time to get the breeders...the females come out often to stock up on food for their litters...the males don't help...they just feed themselves...no kidding...lolAnyway,the trick on the squirrel food is birds hit it first,...then the squirrels come out to get their share...The mix is corn,sunflower seed, whole peanuts,etc..And,another good trick is a shucked corn cob...nail them as they nibble..Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

Is that baiting Rich? :smiley-outta-here:

#10 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

You boys are living good out there thanks for warming me up as we still have 2 ft of ice covered snow here and hunting season is closing out great pic's guys

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

Is that baiting Rich? :rolleyes:

In the interest of the horse ranch owners: I call it 'expediting'..... :smiley-outta-here:

#12 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

Good idea on the squirrel food, Rich. May have to try that one especially after these guys start getting wise to being sniped. Wish I had an FX Monsoon, John. Those look like awesome rifles. But expensive!You're right about getting additional properties to hunt this way. I started out hunting ground squirrels on a friend's 2.5 acre place. Then she had us hunt her brother's neighboring 5 acre place, and now their neighbor in back -- the place I hunted yesterday -- has become my friend and he lets us hunt the squirrels on his 2.5 acre place. So now we've got three neighboring properties totalling 10 acres! And the owners all hate the ground squirrels!

#13 sasquatch200269

sasquatch200269

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Nice shooting, i always go for head shots and some squirrels make itback to there holes with there brains replaced by a 15.9 JSB pellet, its amazing.

#14 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

It is amazing. One time, I shot a ground squirrel in the side of the head at 45 yards with my .17 HMR. The 17 grain V-Max bullet must not have encountered much resistance because it "ice picked" and zoomed right through, and I saw the ground squirrel still crawl back to its hole. There was clearly blood on its head.

#15 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

Nice!

#16 sasquatch200269

sasquatch200269

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

It is amazing. One time, I shot a ground squirrel in the side of the head at 45 yards with my .17 HMR. The 17 grain V-Max bullet must not have encountered much resistance because it "ice picked" and zoomed right through, and I saw the ground squirrel still crawl back to its hole. There was clearly blood on its head.

ratassassinthat happened to me just 2 weeks ago, it turned out the pellet passed right threw eye and eye, and i was 50 yards away, i knew i hit him right in the head, my friend ran up to him and yells at me hes not dead, and i was really surprised i ran up to the squirrel and he was trying to get down a hole but he could not see which way to run, so i take another shot 25 yards away right over his chest, it only made him run faster i ran right up to him and put one in his head, finally he was out. i was amazed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users