9 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

Since I have been loading for my bolt guns, my groups are much smaller and the cost is significantly less than quality factory ammo.As soon as My Ar is finished I will load for that too. Other than manditory full length sizing (which I allready do anyway) is there any part of brass prep that I must do different for an AR.
http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64check out my piece of the webHowa 1500, short action, 24" #6 contour heavy varmint barrel, Bell & Carlson MkII medalist, 4-16x50mm optics.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,031 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

No.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

I haven't started reloading for my AR yet, but here are a few things I'm keeping in the back of my mind for when I do. If I recall, Sierra has a separate section on reloading for semi-auto 5.56 after the section on .223 Remington. Can't remember what it says offhand but I'd suggest checking the manual. Here's something Sierra provides online that may be useful to read regarding Reloading for Semi-Autos and Service Rifles: http://www.exteriorb...asgunreload.cfmAlso, you might want to read about the use of small base resizing dies if you experience any problems chambering reloads in your AR using standard resizing dies. For example: "Small Base Sizing Some firearms will require that fired cases be returned to approximately unfired dimensions. This is the purpose of the so called small base sizing die. In essence, this is nothing more than a standard full length sizing die, which has been reamed to absolute minimum dimensions. Tight chambers, a lack of camming power, or a combination of these may require cases to be sized to these smaller dimensions to assure positive chambering. As we have noted, most conventional full length sizing dies reduce a case’s fired dimensions enough to allow the case to be easily rechambered, without bringing it down to its original, unfired dimensions. In some instances, this will not quite be sufficient to assure positive operation and functioning. This most often occurs in firearms that lack the camming power of a bolt action, such as semi-autos, pumps, and lever actions. Sierra has worked with a large number of these types of firearms that functioned perfectly well with conventional full length dies, and suggest resorting to small base dies only if they prove to be necessary. They do work the brass more, and will usually result in reduced case life. Die adjustment for a small base sizing die is exactly the same as for a full length sizing die, but special emphasis should be paid to avoid exceeding allowable headspace dimensions. Chamber type case gages, such as those available from L.E. Wilson, or micrometer gages like the RCBS Precision Case Mic are extremely useful in adjusting small base dies."Source: http://www.exteriorb...sics/resize.cfm

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

Only difference reloading for my AR as compared to my bolt guns is with the AR, you are limited to your OAL by the magazine of the AR.

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

You don't need to jump through any hoops. I have been using standard .223 dies and have excellent accuracy and no feeding or extraction issues. Also, I don't do any crimping.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,031 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Normally standard dies set to fully resize will do just fine. Maybe your chamber is slightly undersized. I have several AR and have not had any problems with my Redding dies working perfectly.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 SWAG762

SWAG762

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Camping, SCUBA Diving, and Quads

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

I had the same problum... A friend told me to get a redding body die and run the brass through that. It worked! You can even run loaded cases through it, it bumps the shoulder back, easy to use and well worth it!

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

If I'm not mistaken, isn't it also recommended (don't know about necessary) to use a crimp with an AR or any other semi-auto? Not positive as the only auto I own is Ruger 44 carbine which pretty much always uses a crimped round. But since you mentioned you load for a bolt gun, they usually don't require it like an auto, and might get overlooked. I had loaded bullets without a canalure once, worked fine in the pistol, but the bullets were pushed back into the case as they fed into the auto. :D Six inch groups at 25 yards was also a big giveaway :D

#9 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

I crimp. I've had an occasional bullet get pushed in deeper. And not just a little bit but a very significant amount (enough to see). So I just play it safe and crimp them all.

#10 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

I have AR platforms in 6x45 , Tac.20 & .223 . Have loaded & reloaded several hundreds of the 6x45 & Tac.20 . I have never crimped them . And have yet to ever have a failure to feed/ chamber with just " Full length resizing " . Have not had a need for the " Small base " dies . You are limited on you C.O.A.L. if you use the mag . But if you do shoot your gun at a public range maybe mark the Head with a marker . I use Red for.20 & black for 6x45 . Otherwise your cases will look like everyone elses . Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users