51 replies to this topic

#1 filterbiz

filterbiz

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

what should i buy? curently have a rem 870 express dead coyote choke, just want a rifle with a scope.223.27070030.06i want to be able to use it for whatever i hunt.Thanks everyone i just dont want to buy something to big or smalloh yeah, keep the price down as well 3-500 bucks

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

Yep, .243 will do you well on coyotes and also on deer or most other animals you will be hunting in California.

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

I agree with the .243 as a real nice rifle for doing it all in CA.

#5 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

.243 or 7mm-08Darren

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

Big5 has the Savage Edge with a Scope in .243 for $349I was going to buy it, but bought a Mosin and sporterized it instead. Maybe next year

#8 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Another vote for .243. I have a Tikka T3 lite, that is a little higher than your price range but you ought to take a look. If not that, then look into Savage rifles.

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

.243 or .25-06. If you plan on using heavier bullets in the .243 anyways (75gr or 87gr) you may want to consider the 25-06. I had a real hard time choosing between the two. It came down to this, if you plan to hunt mostly larger game with the occasional small game and predator get the 25-06. Otherwise, the .243 is an excellent choice.

#10 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

243 or 250 savage

#11 yote9999

yote9999

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, scuba diving, helicopters, airplanes, mounting biking, and family

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

#12 filterbiz

filterbiz

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

dam i think .243 is the way to go, guess i better get to big 5thanks everyone, it really helps to have a site like this!Chris

#13 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Like bisley pretty much said, What will you be using the gun for? Mostly Predators/varmints with an occasional Deer= .243Mostly Deer/pigs and occasional predator/varmint= 25-06 or bigger

#14 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

.243 or 7mm-08Darren

I agree with D-Man on this one. 243 for predators and deer. 7mm-08 for anything larger and it will still handle predators with lighter bullets. And they are both short actions cartridges.

#15 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

If I was to buy only one....243

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

You do have one other option here. While I absolutely love my .243, I have to admit that it is one inefficient and expensive round to shoot compared to something like a .223. When you look at rifle prices these days ($250-$400 for a brand new rifle) the money you save over time on a .223 would more than offset the price of a larger rifle for larger game if so desired later. Not only is factory ammo much cheaper, but even reloading. You would save about $5 per box on bullets and 10grs of powder or more per round, all while not being undergunned for predator. That adds up real quick! Then you can take the money you've then saved in the first year alone and buy yourself a Savage (I actually like the Stevens line for value) or something in a big game caliber of your choice. Hind sight being 20/20, this is probably what I should have done, especially since I have already have larger caliber rifles. Do not get me wrong, I LOVE my .243 and am sure you will too, but the reality of it is: a .223 is much much more efficient and will more than afford you the option of owning 2 rifles for 2 entirely different tasks which is just flat out a good idea. There is nothing a man with say a .223 and an -06 would be over or under gunned for.Moral of the story? While the 1 gun theory is great, it is not necessarily the most practical. Start by getting yourself an efficient proven predator killer (.223) and used saved $ for an efficient proven bigger game caliber. You will be much happier, and in the end, much better armed. Trust me, I've been there. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#17 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

Another often overlooked round would be the .257 Roberts.

#18 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

what should i buy? curently have a rem 870 express dead coyote choke, just want a rifle with a scopei want to be able to use it for whatever i hunt.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375 :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#19 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375 :rolleyes:

Sure, that'll work for ground squirrels and maybe coyotes, but what about REALLY BIG game like deer? :smiley-outta-here:

#20 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

I'm with Bisley on this one. .243 or a 25-06 but I'd lean more twards the .25-06

#21 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Motorcycling, Camping

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:22 AM

I just got a .243 I'm pretty happy with. Opted to take it on my pig hunt last weekend over my 30-06 because of the better scope I have on it, and had some great results.

#22 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

I'm with Bisley on this one... on all of it !!While the one gun concept is argueably a great one, it really may not necessarily be the best, most practical or affordable way to go... in the long run. And along with that, to me, one gains much more pleasure & satisfaction out of their weapon & sport, with a firearm that is specifically designed for the task at hand. Much More!The 223 is an awesome round IMO... An over achiever if you will. A powerhouse in a small package. While my 22-250 is probably my favorite (& most used) predator caliber, friends & I have gone back to using our 223's more lately. And we have been nothing short of amazed at the damage they have done on some of our coyotes (that we obviously forgot the 223 could do).Good LuckFrank

#23 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

A .50BMG is always good for ground squirrels but cant have em in California.Go with a .557 T-Rex. You'll be ready for everything from backyard mice to the odd elephant you call in on the coyote hunt. :lol: T-Rex

#24 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

A .50BMG is always good for ground squirrels but cant have em in California.Go with a .557 T-Rex. You'll be ready for everything from backyard mice to the odd elephant you call in on the coyote hunt. :lol: T-Rex

OMG!

#25 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

I vote 25.06 :lol:

#26 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

The huge advantage of the .243 over the 25-06 is if you go hunting somewhere and forget your ammo, you will always be able to find .243 ammo, but that isn't always true for the 25-06. Could be the difference between a great hunting trip and a trip home.

#27 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

Since I debated on a .243 or a .25-06, I always check ammo availability (even though I reload) and if I find one, I always find the other. I didn't realize it was that popular either, which is partly what influenced me to the .243. I was wrong. I don't mind being wrong, just didn't want to admit to that particular uncle he was right about the popularity of it. Hind sight is always 20/20.

#28 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

Tikka or Savage in 7mm-08 or 25-06. Both are better all around rifle chambering than a 243. I have them all before you start flaming and have seen too many lost/wounded game animals with a 243 thank you. Put a good Leupold scope on it and you are good for life or until you get the desire for another rifle. Also you can find ammo for the 7mm-08 or the 25-06 most places. Also do not be so stupid as to forget your ammo......or tags......or rifle when going on a hunt.Just straight talk.

#29 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:47 AM

While the one gun concept is arguably a great one, it really may not necessarily be the best, most practical or affordable way to go... in the long run. And along with that, to me, one gains much more pleasure & satisfaction out of their weapon & sport, with a firearm that is specifically designed for the task at hand. Much More!The 223 is an awesome round IMO... An over achiever if you will. A powerhouse in a small package. While my 22-250 is probably my favorite (& most used) predator caliber, friends & I have gone back to using our 223's more lately. And we have been nothing short of amazed at the damage they have done on some of our coyotes (that we obviously forgot the 223 could do).

Not one wrong word in that whole statement. You may buy a .243 or even .25-06 now, but I promise you, you will end up with a .22 centerfire and a .30 cal centerfire in the near future also. Ask me how I know. My .243 is my baby, but she stays home A LOT because she's so damn expensive to shoot. That also makes it hard to be a reliable large game rifle since it will do the job, but you better have lots of practice with a small-for-the-game caliber. I can shoot my -06 and 150 grainers with damn near the same powder amount as many bullet weights in the .243. Kind of makes it a no-brainer which one to use on piggies. I think Frank makes an excellent point about the .223 being the little engine that could. Great for the novice and experienced alike. I wouldn't jump right into the 22-250 (even though I have always wanted one, but my eyes and shooting ability would not do the ballistics of that fine round justice). The .223 will shoot farther than most folks (especially me) should shoot. I have always felt the 22-250 should be shot by those who reload and really appreciate the round and it's ballistics. Just my opinion.You absolutely will not regret picking up a bargain priced .223 now, having a ball with it, and then picking up a bargain priced .308 or .30-06 later when needed. I can not think of a more efficient, effective, perfect round than the .223 for ground squirrels to coyotes. The same can be said for the .308 or .30-06 on anything you want to hunt bigger than coyote. There's an old saying: Beware of the man with 1 gun, he probably knows how to use it. It should be: Praise the Lord we live in a country where we have the option of buying 2 reasonably priced rifles to fill our hunting needs WAY more effectively than just having 1 gun to try and do it all.

#30 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Take it from another new guy. .223 (Cheap ammo for lots of practice) and .30-06 can be loaded about any way you want...and both are affordable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users