51 replies to this topic

#31 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

.243 and you can use it for everything in California from squires to bear and everything in between.

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#32 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375 :good:

Good caliber.Three problems if you're shooting a thousand acres of alfalfa crawling with ground squirrels.1. $ to buy or load ammo 2. Truck to haul ammo3. $ for shoulder replacement. :good:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#33 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

Jeff,What is the bag limit on 'squires'? :sport037fn4:

#34 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

Another vote for .243. I have a Tikka T3 lite also...love it!
SEMPER FI - It means... Always Faithful! Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.

#35 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

.243, .30-06.

#36 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:19 AM

I was just looking at a Mossberg 243 at Sports Authority for $349. Very nice looking rifle. Sports Authority also has Thompson Ventures for sale for $399 right now. MOA gun for $399 aint to bad.

#37 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

If you think you'd like to know you are going to knock down what you are shooting at, go look at Marlin X series. Great gun for a decent price.

#38 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

yoteblaster can you please shoot me a call or message ?

#39 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

The one gun concept is very possible for California and could be considered a good idea. But where is the fun in having one gun????!!!!! Start general, and build your way up a rifle a year. Savages, Thompsons, Mossburgs, 770's can all be found for under 350 and all usually include a scope. If you settle for one, you could even say your letting the liberal gun haters win by a one gun policy... What are we China with children... No sir, these are our guns.... Without them people like China could take our children away... Did I just make a comparison which pointed to guns being more important then children?.... lol, funny how I ended up there....

#40 hsiehjohn

hsiehjohn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing for Tuna, hunting wild pigs and coyotes.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

If cost is a factor, consider the following:223 costs 20 cents a round.Everything else starts at $1 per round if you don't reload.

#41 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

Can you take a deer with a .223?

#42 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

Can you take a deer with a .223?

Not legallyFrank

#43 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

In Kalifornia can you use a .22 center fire but not a rimfire on deer?

#44 hsiehjohn

hsiehjohn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing for Tuna, hunting wild pigs and coyotes.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:54 AM

22 caliber center fire rounds on deer?Ethically ... probably not. Legally .... HELL YES. (just make sure you can consistently put the bullet where you want it)I believe the regulations only stipulates that big game be taken with a center firing cartridge. I believe there is a guy on one of the forums hunting deer and hog in CA using a 22 Hornet, have been doing it for years.

#45 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

I dunno either.. I have researched it some and it seems you need a bullet that can penetrate like the Barnes TSX 62 gr which can have a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps... not sure what kind of range it would be good for, possibly up to 150 yards

#46 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

I believe the regulations only stipulates that big game be taken with a center firing cartridge.

Yep, I stand corrected... Again! lol Not sure what I was thinking... I did not read the entire section on this issue, but did see the above statement in it.

#47 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

I've never taken a deer with a fast .22 but I've been thinking about it. Read what P.O. Ackley wrote about hunting deer with a .220 swift. In one of his books a few guys authored chapters about hunting medium game up to the size of wild borrows with fast .22s and the results were pretty impressive. The trophy bonded bear claw sounds a lot like the old Ackley bullet that was used back in the day. A solid shank with a lead core in the nose. I'd like to try some in my 22-250
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#48 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

I don't know exactly why, but my uncle who's a State Trooper and very avid hunter in CO tells me that he and the DOW men find that poachers almost always us fast .22 center fires (.22-250, 220 Swift). Go figure.In light of recent incidents (thin skins) guess I better say that NO!, I am not calling anyone here a poacher :good: . Just stating a weird fact.

#49 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Of the ones you identified I would go with with either the .270 or the .30-06 and use the Accelerator round for ground hogs, etc.

#50 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

I willl vote for the 270.

#51 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

I don't know exactly why, but my uncle who's a State Trooper and very avid hunter in CO tells me that he and the DOW men find that poachers almost always us fast .22 center fires (.22-250, 220 Swift). Go figure.

Hmm, makes me wonder if they carry a fast .22 so they can pass as predator hunters and then do their dirty deeds when they think theres nobody around to catch them.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#52 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:06 PM

We had two thoughts, that being exactly one of them. The other thought was that it was just an act of opportunity also. Like they were actually predator hunting, and just happened to see deer or elk, and decided to poach. I will say this though, while not my personal preference, them little fast .22's DO seem to work well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users