12 replies to this topic

#1 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

When I was a little squirt, my Dad would head off every summer to Alaska as my Grandfather was an ice road trucker up there, to fish. I'd always wanted to go, but was just too young. About 8 months ago my Dad said, "We are just going to go, no questions asked." So, at 38 years old, I am embarrassed to say, that I could not afford to take my Dad on the trip (as I always wanted to) but he is taking me. He decided to do this thing first class. We are going to the Rainbow River Lodge outside of King Salmon, Alaska. It appears this is the Trophy Rainbow Trout hotspot of the World. I've never even touched to fly rod before, and it appears that 90% of our fishing will be done using fly rods. We've bought our waders, boots and other appropriate gear and we are just waiting at this point. According to the lodge, we will be catching 10 pound rainbows everyday. Not to mention, the several other species that will be available at that time of year. It sounds like we might miss the Pink Salmon run, but other than that, everything else should be running. Now, I grew up Trout fishing in the Central California Sierras and I don't think I had caught any other species of fish until my early 20's. I am familiar with catching trout. My question is this... For any of you that have taken a similar trip. Is there any gear/tricks that might make the trip as smooth as possible that the "typical" outfitter may not mention. All fishing gear is provided and they actually suggested that we do not bring our own fishing gear. That hung me up at first, but after watching the video they sent it looks legit. I have a couple of friends with fly-tying tables and would love to tie about 5-10 flies for my Dad to take. They have given us a very detailed list of flies that they used. Would this be a waste of time on my part? Other than sentiment. Is a Therma-Cell a waste of money? Etc, Etc, Etc....Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

Well, I"ve never been to King Salmon, so can't comment on anything about it. What time of year are you going? If it's December, you need different things than July. :1087: I was up in Alaska a number of years ago in May and June. We got a bit of rain, but, over all it was warm. If it were me going, I would contact the lodge and ask their opinion of what would be appropriate to bring. As to the Therm-a-cell, I assume you are refering to the sleeping pad? Why would you want to take that if you are staying at a lodge?

#3 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

Braz...I can always count on you, buddy. Sorry about that. Going July 17th through the 25thish. Therma-cell as in the electronic Mosquito repellent.

#4 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

The lodge did send a detailed list of things to bring, just looking for any additional stuff that might make it more pleasurable.

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

At that time of year the weather should be pretty nice. You are going to be finding some mosquitos, but I know nothing about that Therma-thingy. I would just take a decent supply of Deet and let it go at that. Deet works!

#6 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

Perfect, thanks buddy!

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have a Thermacell and it works well in calm weather. I would suggest you get some mosquito head gear like this.http://www.rei.com/product/799982The bugs can be fearsome up there.

#8 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

DEET, both spray and creme. I've been to Alaska a few times and from the Kenai Pennisula north you will need DEET. Use the creme on your head, face, neck hands, etc, (wash your hands afterwards as DEET is really hard on rod finish), long sleeves and pants are a must as are hats. Bring the DEET spray in your backpack because if you have to use the open air facilities you will need the use the spray even if you're exposed for only a few minutes.

#9 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Motorcycling, Camping

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

You are going to have the trip of your life. I rode my motorcycle from southern CA to Deadhorse this last summer and it was incredible. Here's a neat picture, I thought I found the secret fishing hole on the Kenai peninsula, until I learned what combat fishing was. On my way back the shore was lined with people 3 feet apart as far as you could see. Not my idea of fun, but I guess some folks like it a lot.Posted ImageI bought a 2 week fishing license but I didn't get a chance to fish with the agenda at hand. (to make it to the arctic ocean) I kind of regret that but it's just more reason to go back again.Going fishing with dad in Alaska is such a great idea. I may need to borrow that one before it's too late! Take plenty of pictures to day dream over for years after you get back. Oh yeah, and don't take the DEET advice too lightly. Sometimes you may want to get a head net too. It really depends on where you are, but when you're in a bad spot and there is no wind, it can get miserable.

#10 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

If you and your dad are going for a week take a bout a pint of straight Deet each. A word of caution. Get Deet (or any other mosquito dope) on your fly or fly line and you will be hard pressed to catch a fish unless you snag it. That goes for gas from an outboard as well. You don't even know what mosquitos and no seeums are unless you've been to the north country. Better to be prepared for bad bugs and not have to use it than to be miserable for the whole trip.

#11 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

Congrats on doing the trip . have not been but still on my list to do before I go . But they have shown on the " mining " show that the skeetos do not screw around up there . And there are lots of them . I would go up to C&R Halibut , Lingcod & get in some Salmon action too . Hope you 2 have a great , safe trip & I am sure the memories will last forever . Sometimes I wake up with a smile on my face & my gf asks me what I was dreaming of . " Good times with my dad ". Most of them were us fishing . Just like the time I hooked him in the hand while fishing & he sat next to a guy with a bullet wound to the leg at the Emergency room . I still laugh about that one . Andy

#12 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

You and your dad will be up in Gods country. Hope you all have the trip of a life time..

#13 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Thanks, everybody! It will be a great trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users