19 replies to this topic

#1 Lost1

Lost1

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:27 PM

;) Hey allI need a spotter that will help my old eyes see a 17cal. hole in paper at 200yds. My 20 year old Tasco 20x60x60 won't do. I know most of the high end glass will work, but at $1500--$2500 not worth the few times I will use it. Anyone know of anything that will meet this task for $400 or less?? ThanksThanks I purchased a scope I think will work. Thanks again

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

You could always buy the paper that leaves a nice bright mark where the bullet hit it... They sell some at Walmart that is black, but leaves a bright yellow mark where each shot hits, works very good! As for me, I bought a new Winchester spotting scope this year and I'm very impressed with it, but I don't think I could see a .17" hole at 200 yards with it though.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#3 vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:05 AM

I am using a Konus scope and it works great and is under $200. http://www.opticspla...ting-scope.html I bought it for shooting HBR.Mike

#4 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:09 AM

Look through a Leupold Sequoia, you wont be disappointed. They can be had for around $225.

#5 Dan

Dan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

I second the Leupold Green Ring Sequoia. Don't get me wrong, it's not the same quality as a gold ring Leupold, but I got the 15-45x model, with a hard case and a plastic tripod for under $300. It does the job very well. When you combine the spotting scope with Shoot 'n See targets, you've got a great combination. riflescopes.com has great prices and sometimes even has free S & H.

#6 Lost1

Lost1

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

:P Thank You for your help.Sorry I took so long to respond to your suggestions, I just got home from work this evening. ( 8 days in Wy.Home for 6) Anyway after reading your posts, some other forums and making a few calls to Opticsplanet. I just got fed up :P with stuff like light conditions, atmosphere, lens size. :lol: So I just said screw it and bought a Bushnell 20x-60x 80 ED Elite it should do all I need plus more. I opened the box when I got home can't wait till tomorrow to see what I can see. I'll let ya know. Thanks again for your replies.

#7 Tundra

Tundra

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hunting<br />Computers<br />Sports<br />Banjo pickin

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:11 AM

i have had a leupold 12-40 spotter for about 12 years and it has been through the ringer but everyone i know still asks to borrow it when they go out. it was a little more than you want to spend. not sure what they want for them now but i paid $600.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

I don't think you'll find many if any scopes that will show a .17 hole at 200 yards. But this one should and it's near your price range. It called a Nikon Sky & Earth 80mm ($480 including 20-60X eyepiece). Pretty good price for a lot of scope.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

As a matter of fact that scope is on sale right now at Optics Planet for $348. Here is the link.http://www.opticspla...20-60x80mm.html
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#10 FeathersnHoof

FeathersnHoof

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

I liked this model even more, it is nitrogen purged which eliminates fogging when weather changes from one extreme to the other.Optics Planet

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:38 PM

This is my spotting scope and though I usually buy Nikon because it's my choice for camera gear this Pentax is the best. There isn't a scope around that can touch this thing.http://www.opticspla...ing-scope-.html

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 Lost1

Lost1

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:43 AM

Thanks again For your input folks :( I looked through the Bushnell (post #6) I could see the bird dog poop on the power lines 250 + yrds. away.Nice,clear,crisp I Think it will see the 17cal. holes at 200 yrd.

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

Anyone try the Nikon Prostaff??

#14 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

I have two scopes I use for birding. One is the Bushnell Spacemaster. It's a decent machine and it has a closer focusing distance than the more expensive, Baush and Lomb 70mm I have. The colour saturation and edge detail, as well as the reduced halo due to the lens coatings is notiby better on it. Baush is the higher-end products. Baush also makes Bushnell optics for the general consumer market.It's kind of like Dewalt has there Dewalt line of tools, and then there is their Black and Decker line for the general consumer market.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#15 Lost1

Lost1

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

;) So did I pay for a Dwalt and get a Black And Decker? ( see post #6 ) :P

#16 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

No you didn't. If the model of Bushnell scope you purchased has an ED lens (Extra low Dispersion glass) , then it should be a good one. The proof is in the pudding. Take it out and see if it meets your needs. The 80mm objective should make it nice and bright to look through.db

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:06 AM

I just saw this sale ....http://www.natchezss...e...1&src=be121

#18 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

I am always wary of items that don't show their brand name.db

#19 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:26 PM

Its a Nikon.

#20 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:27 PM

That's a good price.db

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users