#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

If any one is considering re-barreling an existing rifle. I can't over recommend BRUX barrels to much. My Mod 70 Classic was once a 270 WSM. It was good for 3 shots until barrel heated up. Sick of experimenting with various powder and bullet combos. So decided to re-barrel to 7mm WSM. Contacted a few barrel makers Bartlien ,Kreiger ,Brux. I wanted a "Cut rifled" barrel. 1st two said 6 to 10 months for a barrel. Brux said 8 weeks. So fast forward 4 months after I found a local gun smith to do the work. Now this rifle prints multiple well under 1/2 MOA groups with Hornady 139gr SST in front of 69grs of Re#19 pushing 3,300 FPS.Thats from a SS Sporter weight BBL #4 contour 26" 9" twist. Its Bad to the Bone

#2 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, shooting, metal detecting for gold rush relics, fishing, camping.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

My Brux barreled Palma rifle, it's a hammer. Posted ImageBrux is top of the line, they are comparable to Krieger, Bartlien and (never thought I'd say) Obermeyer.
It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With

#3 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

What is the length of that bad boy barrel? :doh[1]:

#4 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

Iron Worker, For those of us that don't understand, why the choice of a cut rifled barrel over Button rifled (or any other method)? I know very little about this and would love to learn more. Thanks!

#5 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

It was explained to me the button rifling of a barrel induces stress into the barrel. Cut rifling doesn't. A barrel maker once said that on a sporter weight bbl that has been Button rifled if you thread the bbl for a muzzle brake it will expand there ? Others have said if its a heavy bbl it won't make a difference button rifling or cut rifling. I have a heavy HART bbl on one of my rifles . Those bbls are button rifled and it shoots very well. No shortage of opinions on rifling methods virtues. However most factory rifle bbls are " Hammer forged" and those are an entirely new ball game. Many bench rest matches have been won with button rifled bbls and cut rifled bbls but none with a hammer forged bbl.

#6 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Got it! Thanks so much. Very interesting.

#7 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, shooting, metal detecting for gold rush relics, fishing, camping.

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

What is the length of that bad boy barrel? :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

32"

#8 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

Got it! Thanks so much. Very interesting.

There is a barrel makers titled Lilja barrels. Do a search they're in Montana. On their web site they created a video of a bore scope being run down a bbl showing the rifling on one of they're bbls and a factory bbl. Their bbls are button rifled and the factory bbl (Rem 700) is hammer forged . Incredible contrast between the two.

#9 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

I have worn out many barrels in competition and have formed a few opinions based 100,000+ rounds of use.Both cut rifled and button rifled can be extremely accurate.Cut rifled lasts longer but button rifled will usually last far beyond the round count it may see on a big game rifle.Button rifled may produce very small, insignificantly higher velocity when all things are equal.When twist rate is on the ragged edge of stabilizing a bullet, a cut rifled barrel usually works better. ie; .308 155gr bullet @ 1,000 yards with 1 in 14 twist.All US aftermarket cut rifled barrels that I know of are match grade or top notch stuff, while button rifle barrels vary greatly in quality although most claim 'match' or 'ultra match' precision. Air gauge doesn't mean much, it only confirms it's probably not total junk.I wouldn't feel disadvantadged with one of the top five makers of either cut or buttoned barrel on my rifle.Post Script: I much prefer cut rifled. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

#10 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

My preferred barrels are cut rifled Kriegers and I've been very happy with them for years. I've also had very good luck with Shilen barrels but not to happy with PacNor. I just got a new Bartlein blank in and will be giving that a try soon. The only problem with ordering the Bartlein was the 10 month wait.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users