• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boarn2hunt

boarn2hunt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, reading , movies, archery.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

Would like to know if this would be a good deal to start out with? My local W-mart has a Beeman dual caliber, break barrel with scope for $98. Calibers are .177 and .22, forgot to get model number. Is this a good/basic starter? Any input would be great.

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

Yes. That would be a good starter gun. If you decide to move up later, it would be a great gift. Or just keep that gun also. I would not expect great range for this gun.... but out to 35 yards would be *killer* on small birds. Wally World has a good price on the .22 Crosman hollow point pellets. 500 for $6.95. That is the only pellet they carry in .22 caliber in Bakerfield anyways. .17 cal they have lots of variety.Good luck, Murph.

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

The .177 Crosman Premier Hollow Points from Walmart are also extremely accurate. I think they're the most accurate pellets you can buy off the shelf at Walmart. They shoot as well as the JSB Exacts in my rifles. They're also quite hard so watch out for over penetration (i.e., know what's behind your target or have a good backstop).

#4 boarn2hunt

boarn2hunt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, reading , movies, archery.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

I forgot to mention that this has 2 barrels, one in .177 and one in .22 .

#5 DKOwen

DKOwen

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Would like to know if this would be a good deal to start out with? My local W-mart has a Beeman dual caliber, break barrel with scope for $98. Calibers are .177 and .22, forgot to get model number. Is this a good/basic starter? Any input would be great.

It depends on what you want I guess. It's an OK gun (it shoots) but it's not going to take you very far. The trigger is crude and accuracy is so-so. About what you'd expect from a low cost Chinese gun. If you can spring the extra bucks (about $100 more) I think you'll be much happier with a RWS 34 of some sort like this:http://www.pyramydai...air-rifle.shtmlHere you get a quality German gun with a very good trigger and excellent accuracy potential. It's a 'starter gun' you'll want to keep and keep using rather than use a bit and either give up or move on to other models. For sure the resale value is much better.Neither caliber has much power, this often leads to .177 being a better field option.HTH.Doug Owen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users