5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

I have been smoking lots of cheese on these cold winter days. Of course you need to have cold days to keep the cheese from melting in the smoker. I like to keep the temp down to under 60 degrees but keep the smoke going on the heavy side. I have found I can *GIVE AWAY* almost all the cheese I smoke. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Smoked cheese tastes awesome Murph. I've been meaning to make some I've been smoking some ducks and making some jerky lately. I'll have to throw in some cheese and some eggs too. I tried a smoked hard boiled egg and it was really good.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

Last time I smoked cheese I had a terrible time.COULDN'T KEEP IT LIT!.Might be O.K. though I don't inhale. :sport037fn4:

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Yep, you've got to keep the fire on it for sure. BUT not to much, that stuff starts melting and get all over your shoes, unless you are sitting down....and you know how bad melted cheese will burn your ....you know what....?? :signs1180lq:

#5 Broncowilly

Broncowilly

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, collecting/restoring military vehicles and military firearms collecting.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

Mr Del, what do you use to smoke the cheese? I have thought about smoking cheese but I'm afraid of the heat factor and melting it.
Now, don't try to get away! I am more muscular, more cunning, faster, and larger than you are, and I am a genius. Why you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten.

#6 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

You are very correct in that heat is your worst enemy when smoking cheese. Sooo you only smoke cheese in the winter time, like right now when it is cold outside. I make my smoke about 5 feet from the actual smoke chamber where the racks of cheese are. I have a hot plate with a pan of Hickory wood chips. That starts smoke and then it flows up the 5 foot smoke stack at a 30 degree angle into the bottom of my smoke chamber. By this time the smoke has had a chance to cool down plenty, plus I have an electric fan on *slow* to push the smoke up the smoke stack to the bottom of the chamber. Of course the outside air temp. is down to around 45 degrees. The cheese will be fine until the temp inside the smoke chamber gets up to about 70 degrees. I smoke my cheese for about 7 hours in heavy smoke. (you watch the smoke and when it starts petering out you change to new chips.) I have my wife taste the cheese to tell me when it is smoked good enough. When you stand outside by the smoker, after a while you can not taste anything that does not taste of smoke. If you catch my drift. Pun intended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users