6 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I am here at work with a lot of down time so I am permitted to ask one weird question (chuckle).If your hunt ended with the death by gunshot of a large trophy class animal, and the taxidermy bill is beyond your financial reachwhat are your options.

#2 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

I'm pretty sure 'death by gunshot' is our only option. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: However, if someone posts a YouTube video of himself strangling a bear with his bare hands, I might kick in a few bucks toward his taxidermy bill. :smiley-outta-here:

#3 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

I would say treat the cape and antlers as if you were going to mount them. The cape should keep in the freezer for a couple of years. Or find an apprentice taxidermist who is looking for work. If he or she screws it up, mount the horns on a piece of wood.

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

Keep it frozen and save your pocket change for a couple years

#5 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

I would say treat the cape and antlers as if you were going to mount them. The cape should keep in the freezer for a couple of years. Or find an apprentice taxidermist who is looking for work. If he or she screws it up, mount the horns on a piece of wood.

I didn't know you could do that. While I hve been looking for ways to hunt on a budget I could never figure out what to do if I bagged something worth mounting. thanks for the info

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

Most taxidermist require a deposit up front...But Then you can make payments or pay it off when its completed.. You figure a busy taxidermist may take 6 months to a year to get it done soooo Plenty of time to save up... ALso if you are going to freeze it be sure to properly fold it up, to protect the sensitive areas such as the ears, nose etc... double bag it making sure to squeeze as much air out as possible.. then tag the bag and freeze it... Freezer burn can ruin a skin.

#7 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

European mounts now and save the cape for later.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users