16 replies to this topic

#1 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

Ok my stripped lower is in jail till Tuesday, my lower parts kit and buttstock kit are on their way. I have a stripped upper and a few misc. upper parts. Here is where the problem starts. I love the .223/5.56 round for hunting yotes and smaller animals but I would like to go pig or deer hunting eventually and would like to have something to DRT them. I've been researching the 6.5 and really like what I see as far as far as the ballistics go but the down side I'm seeing is I haven't been able to find any lead free factory loaded rounds. Eventually I would like to get into hand loading my own but right now it's not feasible. So is there a company making lead free that I haven't found? Anybody have any insider info on the chances of someone making them? Last question is if anybody that has built an AR15 in a different caliber other than the .223/5.56 would like to give me any tips regarding barrel choice, pro's and cons of what they have built, things to stay away from I'd really appreciate it. My email address that I can access from work is duggan_mahcrotch@yahoo.com.
Ne Desit Virtus

#2 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

Well..I found a 300 whisper at the gunshow a couple of weeks ago...i already reload for the whisper..after a few setback, i am on the road to a 300 whisper shooting experience...if you want a really cool round, go to the 6.5grendel...you can use the standard platform and you can hunt animals up to deer....its a really cool round...best of luck to you ...glenn

#3 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

Look into the 6.8spc. I built one for smackin yotes and pigs. There is lead free stuff for this round. It is more of a 300 yd round but some guys are taking game as far as 500. Go to "Home of the 6.8" site and look around. I think the grendel is cool too but in reality im not shootin that far.
Don't be stupid

#4 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

Donkey is right...plus..the ammo is probably alot cheaper.... :signgreatreport3kg:

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

I reload for my 6.5 Grendel and I have yet to find any non-lead ammo that shoots even close to the lead bullets. I have tried Barnes, Hornady, etc and although the groups may be acceptable to deer hunters, us varmint hunters expect under an inch, consistently. I'll get a couple of hits tight and then a flyer 1.5 inches away. With quality lead fodder, it shoots very well.Some guys claim they get good accuracy from the lead Wolf Gold in 6.5 Grendel. I have never tried it. Hornady markets lead 6.5 Grendel but I don't know if they are selling non-lead stuff yet. If anybody has a good load for non-lead in a Grendel, I'd sure like to know about it.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

I'm really leaning towards the 6.5, I like the longer range capabilities vs. the 6.8. I guess I can use the excuse of not being able to buy loaded non lead ammo, to start getting my feet wet reloading. Hell by the time I get everything put together equipment wise, maybe you'll have a load worked up for it Desert Dog lol. Oh and give me a couple of months and I'll be hitting you up about a scope too. Thanks for the info guys, I'll take all I can get till my mind is made up.
Ne Desit Virtus

#7 FresnoHunter

FresnoHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Yet another round that might be worth looking at is the 243 wssm. I recently got my hands on a AR and already I have drooled on the possibilities. I kinda like the 243 WSSM as a possible Coyote/ Deer gun, the ballistics on this round are impressive.

#8 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

If you have to shoot lead free I would go with the 243 WSSM over the 6.5 Grendel. Right now there are not very many lead free bullets for the 6.5 mm that are for coyotes or squirrels. The only lead free 6.5 mm bullets that I know of are big game bullets.I have a 243 WSSM D-Tech upper and it has been working great on coyotes with the Barnes 62 gr Varmint Grenades.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#9 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

I'll look into that one as well, it's like I was sayin I'm not completely sold on anything just yet. I figure by the time I get the money I'll have a better idea of exactly what I want ( 3 kids birthdays back to back opens the drain on my bank account). If the itch gets too bad I can pick up a really cheap upper in 5.56 from a friend to tide me over lol.
Ne Desit Virtus

#10 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

My parts arrived and I now have a complete lower assembly :lol: and I'm really leaning toward a 6.8, mainly because of the availability of factory loaded lead free. I had the parts shipped to the shop and put it together in front of my Dad and I may have him hooked lol.
Ne Desit Virtus

#11 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

[img]http://http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee392/Duggan_Mahcrotch/c7374c44.jpg[/img]Ok so I went with the 6.8, did some shopping and decided on the Stag model 7H. Ordered it and was told it would take up to 2 weeks to get it. Today the UPS lady came by and dropped it off a full week early, so hopefully the weather doesnt get too bad and I can start the break in. So this is what I have so far; Stag upper and lower, Magpul MOE Stock and grip, Matech rear sight, Truglo front sight, Hogue free float fore arm, and a cheapy 9-13 bipod. Getting a scope from Red in March and after I get it sighted in the bipod and BUIS are coming off and being put away for the 5.56 build I have planned. Oh yeah after the break in I'm going to duracoat it, I did the rattle can paint job on the lower but when I started putting the guts in it it chipped like crazy. So that's that, and expect a range report this weekend (hopefully).
Ne Desit Virtus

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

I have your new digital Night-Eye scope and it will look and perform really well on your new build. You'll need to get a scout rail or purchase one of the Burris raised, one piece mounts for your new scope. These mounts work great and eliminate the need for the additional scout rail. Burris Mount for AR
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

What makes a scope digital?

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

I think it's the reticle SJ, I haven't seen it yet but from what Red said it's pretty cool so I'll post on it after I get it.
Ne Desit Virtus

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Thank you, I hadn't heard of it.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#16 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

Here it is!Posted Image
Ne Desit Virtus

#17 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

What makes a scope digital?

The "digital" term applies to the new solid-state illumination control. Unlike most illuminated scopes with radial dials, the illumination on the new Night-Eye series is electronically controlled by two buttons on the rear of the scope. It is a very nice system that is quicker & easier to adjust and affords the user more lighting level options. And, like all Hawke scopes, the illumination just lights the reticle. You won't find lighting flare inside the scope tube like you do on most other "illuminated reticle" scopes."If there’s one name that’s synonymous with night time shooting it’s Hawke Nite-Eye. The range contains the same great side focus optical system as the Varmint SF, with addition of a larger objective lens for increased light gathering at dawn and dusk. There is wide a choice of specially crafted glass-etched reticules, including the ballistic MAP 6A.Hawke Nite-Eye Digital features a unique day/night (blue/red) digital illumination system designed to work in harmony with your eye’s natural sensory characteristics. The Nite-Eye system offers 24 levels of blue or red illumination and memorizes your settings, thereby avoiding unwanted night blindness. The lowest settings cannot be seen in daylight. A battery indicator and auto-shut-off ensure you won’t be left in the field without illumination. The New Hawke Nite-Eye Digital rifle scopes have been specifically designed to meet the needs of hunters who require supreme optics for shooting in low light conditions such as dawn or dusk, or in wooded areas. Alongside the large 50mm objectives that allow more light to be transmitted, these scopes feature astate-of-the-art digital illumination system. Extreme accuracy is achieved with a precise side focus wheel with smooth operation ensuring the image can be focused so that it is parallax free at all distances. All Nite-Eye SF scopes parallax from 10yds to infinity (except the 6-24 model, parallaxes from 15yds).There are 4 exciting reticles to choose from – The popular SR6 and SR12and all new ½ Mil Dot and MAP 6A. All reticles are glass etched for increased strength and fine detail. All of these reticles are compatible with Hawke’s Ballistic Reticle Calculator (BRC) software. The BRC allows the reticle aim points to be calculated to all rifles trajectories.The objective lenses in the Nite-Eye® Digital range are all over sized 50mm,favored by sporting shooters, due to the brightness, clarity and low lightperformance. The optical system is all new with fully multi coated lenses throughout – the image is crisp, bright and holds even contrast. The Hawke Nite-Eye Digital range is styled to be practical yet attractive, featuring all weather grips and a zoom thumb bump.The objective end is threaded to accept sunshades. Low, non-intrusive, turrets give precise clicks and repeatable accuracy. The click value is ¼ M.O.A."RedHunterLLC is awaiting the first shipment of these scopes. We managed to snag a couple for our customers and as soon as we have the full line of Night-Eye scopes readily available, they will be shown in our web store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users