20 replies to this topic

#1 Rooster707

Rooster707

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

Im thinking about picking up a samurai for a hunting rig, ive seen a few around and ive havent heard anything bad about these trucks and they seem to get built up pretty well. Just curious what the general consensus is? Thanks guys.

#2 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

I've been looking for one to buy here in the Northstate. I can't find any for sale. A friend of mine had one and I can tell you a few things about them: They are extremely light and drive well over the top of the snow; They are hard riding...wear your back brace; They can be lifted fairly easily; They get good gas mileage due to its small engine; And they look FUN! One of these days, I'll find one for driving on those old logging roads, getting to my hunting spots.
"Life's tough-It's even tougher if your stupid"--John Wayne

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

The Sammy came with a small 4 cyl... My buddy has one and they do ride rough, howver they have suspension parts available that arent available for Geo's and Sidekicks "both made by Suzuki".. I have had a Geo, and a 4x4 Sidekick, if You can find a Clean Sami, get it,,, then just put the Geo, Sidekick Motor in it. You will pick up 35 hp or so and you will also have the availibilty of leafspring suspension that is not on the Geo or Sidekick. The hard part I found was finding a clean one at an affordable price. Good Luck.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

I wanted a sammy for a hunting rig and went with a cherokee and I'm glad I did, the sammy is tooooo small for 2 adults to hunt out of.

#5 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

I've been looking for one to buy here in the Northstate. I can't find any for sale. A friend of mine had one and I can tell you a few things about them: They are extremely light and drive well over the top of the snow; They are hard riding...wear your back brace; They can be lifted fairly easily; They get good gas mileage due to its small engine; And they look FUN! One of these days, I'll find one for driving on those old logging roads, getting to my hunting spots.

Check craigslist..... Several in Reno/ Tahoe area

#6 Rooster707

Rooster707

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

Thanks guys.

#7 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

Got one. Great rig to hunt out of, if your not a real big fella. Went ape when I bought mine, put $12,000.00 in it and never touched the motor. Air lockers front and rear, 8000lb winch, traction bar, gear reduction in the transfer case (6 to 1) runs 4 gel batteries, chevy alternator, 6 inch lift, 33 inch super swampers, easy removable doors (less than 1 minute for both doors), satelite radio, dual friction clutch, and on and on and on. It will go wherever you point it but you better hold on.They definatley need about 45 to 50 more horses, not for offroading but to go down the blacktop road. I can do 55 wide open, but when its offroad I think I could walk off and leave it for a few minutes in gear and it would still be there when I got back. Dont hardly use mine anymore but no-way I could get my money back, its that way with all my toys, BUY HIGH SELL LOW. :lol: Good luck with yours

#8 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

I have an 87 Zuki, just put rock sliders and nerf bars on iy today! Working on the roll bar tomorrowMotor/ Tranny/ transfer still stockChanged out body mountsput 2 1/2 shackles on it... debating SPOA.....Love the zuki! price was right!

#9 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

My son had 5 LOL He built his up and ran the wheels off that thing in our back pasture.. He loved it.. Keep your eye out for wrecked ones That is how we got them. Build it yourself :doh[1]:
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#10 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

I have a neibor tht swaps VW deisels into them. a little more HP and no more smog! same Idea as the flat fendered jeep I had in high school. lots of torque from a small four cyl. off road I could keep with anything, but on the highway even with an overdrive the best I could maintain was 55. my brother had a Suki when they first came out. it was alot of fun. DR

#11 Rooster707

Rooster707

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

My friend had one when we were in high school that we used on his ranch and it was fun but like you all have said, rough ride, i suppose once you put some better suspension on them they arent to bad of a ride. i found one that im gonna go look at today so ill keep yall posted. thanks again for the info.

#12 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

part of that rough ride is from short wheel base. taller tires will help. DR

#13 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

I have one of these now a 1989 and it rides rough but it is great on gas and 4x's great. If you can find a clean 1 I'd jump on it.
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#14 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Rollover specials. Be careful if you buy one. Kid I went to high school with rolled one in the school parking lot. Sure, he was screwing around, but really wasn't going that fast, just trying to spin a donut. Surprised all of us how easily it tipped over.Jeeps, samuris etc all all neat, but you sure don't want to drive one very far. Not room for much stuff. Friend of mine just got an older Excursion with the 7.3 diesel... now that is a hunting rig! :good:
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#15 lepcur

lepcur

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Bear hunting
    Hunting preds.
    Bird shoothing

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

I've got a 86 zuki and they really work well as a woods rig and hold up to alot of abuse. I built mine for dog hunting but it works well for a calling rig as well. Here's a pic of it and the top left box is a insulated ice chest and the other is dry storage, the main box is for the dogs while bear hunting but also doubles for cargo or varmints while doing other types of hunting and I get 32 mpg in the woods. MikePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 Boomshack

Boomshack

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

I have a '86 JX and it's my new project. I use it at our ranch and duck club - it really works well. I am going to lift it and put tracks on it this spring. If you need parts check out this site. http://www.rocky-road.com/suzuki.html

#17 lepcur

lepcur

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Bear hunting
    Hunting preds.
    Bird shoothing

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

1 good thing is ya can find just about anything ya need for them on ebay or craigslist, and cheap too. Mike

#18 FJ Cruising

FJ Cruising

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

I love mine. I picked it up for $900, with 65k original miles.Here it is stock in Big Bear:Posted ImageAnd after the 5" lift and 32" tires:Posted ImageWorking on the front bumper, rock rails, and roof rack. Then time for some gears and lockers :archer-green:

#19 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

From the Pic, thats hard to believe that you got it for that price. Great Buy! Congrats! That would be $3,000 minimum down here.. lol
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#20 FJ Cruising

FJ Cruising

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, I got lucky. My girlfriend's Uncle was the previous owner, so I got a bit of a family discount. When I cleaned out the interior I found several spent brass cases under the seats/carpet. I need to take her Uncle on a hunt for the hook-up :archer-green:

#21 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:01 AM

Indeed! That was a score! I drove all the way to Santa Rosa to see one, Misleading ad, and it was a pile.. lol He still wanted $2500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users