10 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Just curious, my boy and I have been using Beeman, 22 cal, with Gamo Hunter Pellets ( tried a few, these seem to work the best) our effective or accurate is around 40-45 yrds. They will reach out further but the accuracy starts to falls off pretty quick. This range has served us both well, birds, many rabbits, squirrels, etc. Whats everybody else getting?????TonyD

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

I believe the range you are shooting is right in the ball park. Yes, they will shoot farther but the ability for a clean kill goes down with each yard added. Killing is the name of the game... not wounding and making them suffer a slow death. You and your boy are doing it just fine. Sometimes the vermin wins by flying or running first....that is OK, they might come back tomorrow.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

Watch some of this guys videos with a PCP airgun and JSB 22 pellets. 150+ yards is possible with the right equipment.http://www.youtube.c...notation_704605

I'm an airgunholic

#4 Jerry

Jerry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

I feel comfortable with my FX out to 100 yds on pest birds, I'll let you know this june on prairie dogs. Raccoons and Opossum out to sixty or maybe more. About a dozen Raccoons have fallen to it around 50 yards.EDIT: The FX is not a spring gun, its a 32 ft/lb PCP shooting 18 gr JSBs. I should have clarified.
Keeping Illinois varmints in check as best I can!

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

I would also say you are right in the ball park at that range. That is about all I can get with my Beeman R-1. I have made some longer shots but will say that it is a good 40 yard gun and 50 is pushing my limits with it. The last rabbit I shot with it though was at about 15 feet and the pellet went through it so fast in did not expend its energy in the rabbit. I think I need to get a softer pellet that expands easier.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

I've shot my R9 .20 cal (736 FPS) on target out 50 yards...pretty much max range using FTS pellets...in contrast my Dominator .22 HPA (940 FPS/30 FPE reaches 100 yards effectively....in fact,it buries 15.9 gr JSBs in a hardwood pole at 85 yards..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageMy longest kill shot (squirrel) was with my Discovery .22 cal (906 FPS) at 96 yards...dead calm, squirrel was standing on rear legs,..hit him in the chest...he just dropped..Posted Image

#7 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

I'M Sold on the Gamo hunter pellets, they flatten out to twice the diameter. a quick kill.

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Dome pellets are good for long range accuracy...

#9 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

Gamo hunter pellets suck in my Bigcat. Try JSB's. Beeman .22 should be able to reach out to 60 yards accurately or even further. Gamo pellets are about the worst I've ever tried. Which others have you tried? Good father and son sport.

#10 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

My varmint hunter is tuned with a gas ram with about 4000 shots on it and shoots 10.1 grain kodiaks at 890 fps on my last crony a month ago . I gave up on gamo pellets they never grouped well for me but i can zero it with predators and wadcutters for great results also but nothing beats the kodiaks . I also belive that for any airgun in my hands 50 yards is my limit for clean kills but truth be told i only shoot varmints and don't care if they suffer . Where as i have taken some vermin well past 50 with my AA410c {crows and nutters} i don't really hunt with it .Posted Imagetook the top 2 at about 65 yards off the same tree day after christmas as a blizzard was about to hit us here in NY

#11 DKOwen

DKOwen

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

Just curious, my boy and I have been using Beeman, 22 cal, with Gamo Hunter Pellets ( tried a few, these seem to work the best) our effective or accurate is around 40-45 yrds. They will reach out further but the accuracy starts to falls off pretty quick. This range has served us both well, birds, many rabbits, squirrels, etc. Whats everybody else getting?????TonyD

Given the gear involved, this seems reasonable. It's all about accuracy (airguns just don't have any energy to spare). When I hunt with 'full power' springers I generally use a custom R9 or TX200 in .177 (better long range ballistics) and consider 65 or so yards as the limit. Mind this is with a laser range finder (drops at long range are a big factor, an error of a few yards can cause a miss) from a steady position. To 'get there' only the most accurate pellets work. IMO this lets Gamo off the list. JSBs, Crosman Premiere (in the box, not the cheaper tin version), and Beeman Field Target Specials are the ones to try. Unfortunaely this means 'mail order', I recommend Pyramid Air for this.If you're happy with what you have, there's sure noting wrong with that.Doug Owen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users