• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

Hi. I take a turkey every year off my Idaho property, I only use a pellet rifle because I have 50 or so birds the roost on the place and do not want to scare them off. This year my beeman let me down because it was to cold out, I'm looking to buy a new gun for aroung 300.00 any sugestions on a rifle that works below freezeing out to 30 yards or so?? Thanks Dave

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

Precharged guns and other pneumatics are the champs!For cold weather operation, the PCP or other pneumatic airgun is the clear winner. I put the PCP ahead of the multi-pump and single-stroke pneumatic because when the pump seals get cold and stiff, it takes some work to warm them up so they're flexible again. That might not be a problem in Tennessee - but in Minnesota or Alaska it can be.A PCP, however, looses virtually no velocity at zero degrees. They might, if you shoot guns with steel breeches and hammers oiled with petroleum-based lubricants such as the Logun S-16. I haven't tested many of these at low temperature, but the lubrication of the action parts could cause some slowdown.The Talon SS from AirForce is primarily made from synthetic and aluminum, and the lubes are either dry film or part of the materials, themselves. It makes heavy use of Delrin, a Dupont engineering plastic with excellent low-temperature lubricity. The Talon SS I tested had no loss of velocity down to 20 degrees below zero (I tested it on a separate day and was unable to get another to re-test the two springers or another PCP). It was the best low-temp airgun I tested.That's it for cold-weather operations. We'll look at heat, wind and rain next.http://www.pyramydai...-different.html

I'm an airgunholic

#3 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Yup, a pcp is the way to go in the cold. You can get a Benjamin Discovery at pyramid air for $250, but you will need a hand pump or scuba tank to fill it. I got my disco from Mac1 airguns. For a little more money Tim will make the already accurate disco a deadly tack driver, highly recommended. My disco shoots a 14.3 gr cp at 900 fps and will shoot a nickle size group at 50 yards so it meets your power requirement. Other pcps are quieter and have more features but they are all well over your $300 limit.

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Discovery .22 is Ideal for hunting...mine is MAC 1 as well,..accurate,reliable..add the Benjamin buddy tank,and you can stay in the field hunting for two days +...6-8 fills and fits in a day pack...you can get tank filled at paint ball shops..Posted Image

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

That's a nice setup.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users