10 replies to this topic

#1 ffcoyote

ffcoyote

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

Does anyone have personal experience or know anyone with a savage model 10 predator? My questions are how does it shoot, how is it to pack around in the field, how well does the camo coating hold up, and what's the overall quality of the firearm like? Any feedback is appreciated.

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

In general the Savage line is very good. These newer rifles with the AccuTrigger are better yet. Heavy barreled rifles with a synthetic stock may be a bit unbalanced, weight is weight regardless of brand. Most of the water transfer camo finishes hold up fairly well, chemicals will fade the finish as will friction. Accuracy is super with few complaints. I think you will be happy with the Savage.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

If I may be brutaly honest...I just recently (last month) sold my Savage Predator model 10, 22-250 after nearly 1 yr of ownership. Here's why:1). Because it wouldn't shoot worth a crap, 5 shot 1" groups at 100 yards with only 2 loads I found. This was after almost 500 rounds & DOZENS of loads tested. My numerous Remingtons, Winchester & Brownings all could shoot 5/8" and under, CONSISTENTLY. This Savage could not hold a candle to them.I've since heard from at least 2 other people with the same complaints about the Predator rifle. It is also why I believe Savage came up with the so called "accu stock"(believe that is what's called(?) as they know they have a problem with this model IMO. 2). The camo finish definitely comes off, and it comes off easy. It is cheap s#@t to put it nicely.3). I had to disassemble & finish free floating the barrel. One side of the stock was pushing hard on the side of the barrel. AND this was a CUSTOM ORDERED Savage from the factory that I waited months for. AND they NEVER returned my calls like they said they would...Repeatedly! Not once, over numerous promises & several months. Their personal service sucked big time.4). Their accu trigger was unimpressive. I could not adjust it anywhere near as light as they claimed. It is a poor excuse for a so called semi custom trigger IMO. Now I am sure Savage has some fine models, such as their model 12 etc. HOWEVER... Once was Enough (for me)Frank

#4 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Now to really get your mind boggled I have two one in 223 and one in 204. LOVE THE GUNS!!!! with a sling they are a little barrel heavy so they lean back but nothing to get worked up about. But both of them are shooters. I mean shooters, I've had my 223 for a couple years keep it in my truck year around and never had a problem. probably got 1500 rounds through or so. You won't be dissapointed.

#5 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

Do you have a Remington 700? if so how does it compare?How do you feel about the value compared to simular rifles in the same price range?Thanks for any feed backFyrewil

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

The Rem 700 is my favorite Predator rifle above all others. I know I can also speak for two friends of mine that feel the same way. I am currently down to only two 700's, having sold off 4 different rifles recently.Anyway, the one thing you will need to do on a Remington 700 is to either replace the trigger, or lighten up the existing one. Either way will work fine. The triggers are set too heavy from the factory. I usually have other work done on my rifles, such as sometimes replacing the stock with an HS Precision (like my current 2 rifles), glass bed & free float the action (even with HS's aluminum bedding block), true up the bolt and the trigger work. HOWEVER, one of my two friends never does more than the trigger and his Rem 700 rifles shoot just as consistent and as accurate as mine. Often times more so. Drives me crazy! LOL I also LOVE the 26" barrels that come standard on the 700 "varmint" models. I have chrono'd on several occasions as much as 300 fps between a 22 & 26" barrel. It does make a difference! One older gentleman at the range last year would not believe me on this and had us chrono the same load over his chronograph with our two Savage Predator rifles, one in 22" & my custom in 26". He was shocked and stated he has never seen that in the many yrs of shooting. I told him, probably because you never compared. lolAs far as price, it just depends. Normally, the Rem may be a little higher than avg, however, watch the sales, especially at Turners and you can do very well. So I personally feel the Rem is a great value.Good LuckFrank

#7 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

I have two Rem. 700 VS models, one in 223 the other in 22-250. Both are very accurate with no work done to either. I also have an older Savage Model 10 Tactical in 223, pre-accutrigger, that is ugly, ugly and ugly. But.....it shoots as good or better than the Remingtons. Only thing done to the savage is I had the trigger worked. Did I mention that Savage is ugly?

#8 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

I have a Rem 700 in 223 and a savage 10 in 204Ruger. Both shoot well. The Savage out shoots the Rem but they are in different chambering. Both shoot excellent. Dead ground squirrels cannot tell any difference.

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

I have a Savage Predator with the accu-stock in .223 and it has performed very accurately. I have no complaints other than the fact that I would like to lighten up the trigger pull a bit more. It's not bad, I just like a very light trigger. It shoots nice, tight groups and has effectively destroyed a bunch of Cedarville ground rats. I especially like the fact that it has a drop magazine.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

I also have a Model 10 in .223. Mine shoots 55 gr V-max's like they were made for the gun. I've had mine for a few years now and the finish has not worn anywhere on my rifle. For OUT OF THE BOX accuracy, it's hard to beat a Savage. I own two (the other is a 116 in -06), and you don't need to do trigger work on these like most prefer to do on the 700's.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#11 goosebrown

goosebrown

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Ceramics. WEB programming. Varmint hunting and possibly pig hunting.

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

I have a Remington 700 SPS in 243 that I am trying to sell (to buy a Savage in 260) I will post in classifieds if anyone is interested.
Keep your family close... and armed.Matt Brown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users