• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

Im new here, and just scanning through I dont see much of anyone useing rimfires. I mostly shoot ground squirrels, so rimfires are my main battle rifles. I shoot 22lr, 17Mach2, 17HMR,for under 250yds and then 22 Hornet, 223, for longer shots. in the next couple of days Ill post up some pics of the rifles Ive built. DR

#2 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

Hey DR, trust me ground squirrels are pretty much everyones practice and battlefield when the season is here! I'm pretty sure it's my second favorite thing to do :doh[1]: Post those pics of your rifles i want to see them and i'm sure i'm not the only one who wants to see them. I stick pretty heavy with my twenty two but plan on getting a 22 mag for the little longer shots, to me it's must funner using the little guns taking heads off :) i will post a pic of mine too. Point being your in the right spot. welcome bud

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Welcome to the forum. I also enjoy my 22's. No 17's but own a few 22 lrs.

#4 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

There are a lot of posts about rim fires just no section for them yet Hint hint SJ but I have read and posted on here about mine.in the AR section I know there was a long running post on them.

#5 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

I think rimfires will always be my favorite, especially the .22 mag. Fun, still inexpensive to plink or hunt and is a very capable round and now have several different cartridges to choose from.

#6 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

Welcome to the forum, dangerranger. When it's squirrels time (which I can hardly wait for), I ususally start out with my Savage .22lr or 10-22. When the squirrels start to move away and make me have to shoot longer shots, I switch to my .223. It's a lot of fun to see them fly 4-5ft in the air while twirling backward. AHHHH, I can't wait! Good shooting!!

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

this is one I made for my grandson it started out as a singleshot marlin 120. we chose that model because it cocks on closing and loads from a tray instead of having to put each round into the chamber. his little hands have trouble pulling back the striker on some others.Posted Imagethis was the cleaning table after a squirrel hunt. I have 6 boys and 4 grandkids[so far]Posted Imagethis is a glenfield 25[marlin 80] that is ready for final assembly I got it as a bucket of parts. now its been converted to 17HM2. it uses a GM sporter weight barrel, and a 2lb trigger.Posted Imagethis has my marlin 80 on top and the 17m2 belowPosted Image

#8 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

Not bad. Nothing funner then a 22 I think. Still a classic and a fun gun. I own a few 22s. Marlin 60 in 22lr, a 22 mag, save 22/410 over and under. They are so fun

#9 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

this is one I made for my grandson it started out as a singleshot marlin 120. we chose that model because it cocks on closing and loads from a tray instead of having to put each round into the chamber. his little hands have trouble pulling back the striker on some others.Posted Imagethis was the cleaning table after a squirrel hunt. I have 6 boys and 4 grandkids[so far]Posted Imagethis is a glenfield 25[marlin 80] that is ready for final assembly I got it as a bucket of parts. now its been converted to 17HM2. it uses a GM sporter weight barrel, and a 2lb trigger.Posted Imagethis has my marlin 80 on top and the 17m2 belowPosted Image

Nice! :lol:

#10 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

I built this stock from a Boyds second. the rifle is a marlin 60 that I bought new in 1975. I paid $29.95 for it back then. theres no telling how many rounds have been through it. its cleaned up pretty well tho.Posted ImagePosted Imagestevens favorite 1915. one of my new favorites. I drilled out and relined this gun to make it a shooter and the first time I shot it I was able to take second in a 100yd off hand match. not bad for a 95 year old rifle!Posted Imagethanks for letting me show them off. DRheres a couple more,this is a Marlin 25m that I converted to 17HMR. I used a GM heavy fluted barrel. I also adde a second stock bolt.I used a piece of the old barrel to make the front lug. the barrel was made for a ruger so it had the cut for their V block. I put the second lug in that cut. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Very nice rifles! Heres a couple of mine. Mine when i had a whistle big barrelNow it has a new scope and volquartsen carbon fiber barrel. i will post another pic when i find one or i will take onePosted ImageThe girlfriends ( on order is a purple tactical solutions barrel and matching thumbhole stock) she's loves shotting squirrelshttp://s239.photobuc...st172009064.jpg

#12 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Cool rifle! even cooler badger! I dont think Ive ever seen one out of a zoo. DR

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

I like that old pump 22.

#14 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:52 AM

Welcome, DR. Along with many of the others here, I also shoot the rimfires. 17 Hummer & Mach 2, 22 WMR & 22 LR. I've been playing with airguns recently and haven't had much chance to shoot the burners. Here's the most unusual rimfire in my accumulation, a J. Stevens Armoury Model with a 20X Unertl scope mounted on it.

Attached File  stevens_unertl.jpg   33.9KB   15 downloads

#15 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

Very nice collection. Wow, nice work on the rifles do you repair all of them yourself?

#16 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

Love my rimfires!CZ 452 American .17 HMRPosted ImageCZ 452 Varmint .22 WMRPosted ImageSavage Mark II BTVSS .22LRPosted ImagePosted ImageSavage 93R17 BTVSS .17 HMRPosted Image

#17 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

Very nice rigs Rat!They make my marlin look like an ugly duckling LOL

#18 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

Thanks, I like Marlins too. I just mounted an Elite 3200 5-15x40 mil-dot on my Marlin 982vs .22 WMR but don't have any photos to share yet.

#19 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Posted ImagePosted Imagea couple of my .22 squirrel guns, but not rim fire :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:oh and I was just cleaning the cooper in the truck :smiley_green_with_envy:

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

That's a NO NO shooting out of that truck! You were just sighting it in on paper I'm sure. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#21 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

I got the picture, this is my baby :smiley_green_with_envy: shoot some cci mini mag round nose through it and watch out! two pound trigger, poly buffer, volquartsen barrel and hawke scope. THIS thing is just plain fun!Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

Whats a rimfire? :smiley_green_with_envy: My old 22 is worn out and is unsafe to shoot any more need to get a new one. Cool guns guys.

#23 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

cool .22, somethig tells me these are not squirrel friendly :smiley_green_with_envy:

#24 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

Love my rimfires. Favorite is a CZ 453 with the heavy barrel in a .17 HMR. Got a Mueller APV on it, not the fanciest gun ever but what a great shooter. Love the Single Set Trigger. Perfect for a squirrel shooter. Just got stocked up on ammo, for what it is worth BiMart in Oregon has the Hornady .17 HMR 17 grn V-Max on sale for $9.99 a box... limit 5 per customer. Had to drag the inlaws through to get enough 'customers' along... lol. Sign said sale runs through Febuary. Might be worth the drive to get stocked up on ammo, CA prices are ridicolous plus you have sales tax. Got a couple of .22's I shoot as well. Used to shoot brick after brick of ammo though them, but anymore I just don't have the time to shoot a lot of squirrels so when I go I take something better, .17 HMR or .223. Still hard to beat a good 10/22 Ruger for close quarters squirrel combat zones... ;)Some nice looking rifles you all have. Going to have to start assembling a pink 10/22 for my oldest daughter... heck she's almost 4 years old... gotta start them out right. :(

#25 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

Here's the most unusual rimfire in my accumulation, a J. Stevens Armoury Model with a 20X Unertl scope mounted on it.

Attached File  stevens_unertl.jpg   33.9KB   15 downloads

[/quote]that looks like a fun shooter!

#26 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

I like that old pump 22.

I got the Rem model 12 from an old neibor, her husband bought it in 1919 just after they were married. it needed a firing pin . other than that its just been shot alot. its not the most accurite but it will hold its own. DR

#27 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

You aren't seeing as many posts about rimfires because they seem to get used more during the summer months when the ground squirrels are out more. I love my rimfires and acutally used them more than my centerfires last year.Posted Image savage .22 magPosted Image remington .22 lrPosted Image TC .17 mach IIPosted Image savage .17 hmrPosted Image Browning .22 lr

#28 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:43 AM

matt what happened to your 22 mag pump.

#29 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

I still have it, I just didn't have a pic of it and it's out at my moms place. She uses it to bust gophers that dig up her lawn.

#30 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

hey dangerranger -- is that a stevens 887 (or somthing close) on the bipod in the 2nd photo?? I have one and love it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users