#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

Couple of questions about this. I was an Armorer in the Marine Corps, I mostly worked on M16's and M4 service rifles. My question is 2 fold. First I'm buying the base model of this rifle based on the M4 style rifle but with a heavy 16 inch barrel as they called it. I dont really consider it heavy but I'll role with it. So my question is:I can remove the frost sight assembly right? As I will be mounting a rifle scope on this rifle. My second question is: Will a free floating set of hand guards fit on this rifle without buying a brand new upper receiver assembly?My last question is about reloading 223 rounds for an AR 15. ( I wont be firing 5.56 military brass handloads only)Are there any changes that need to be made to the case or seating depth for an AR15 for these rounds to fire more accurately? Any and all info is greatly appreciated. This is my first personal AR15 outside of the military M16/M4 that I had while serving. Thanks ahead of time!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#2 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

1. yes you can remove the front sight but you will need to buy a low profile gas block and I said low because you mentioned you want to install a free float hand guard.2. the hand guard will work but you have to make sure it comes with the correct mounting nut.3. I use the same hand loads for my bolt and AR with no issues so far since I FL size my cases.

#3 hsiehjohn

hsiehjohn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing for Tuna, hunting wild pigs and coyotes.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

nice to have another 2111 on this forum.

#4 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Yes sir! 2111! got out back in 2006.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#5 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

oh also looking for a good scope mount anyone recommend one? Throw some out there and I'll check out the reviews and what not. I don't however want to spend 200 dollars on a mount though. Needs to be wife friendly (cost effective LOL ). And a good carbine free floated handguard and low profile gase block. And if anyone knows a good cheap place to get some gauges (head space, gap float, firing pin protrusion, barrel straightness, barrel erosion) go no goes are fine. Any info would be great!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#6 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:31 AM

The burris P.E.P.R. mount is a pretty good value. But, I would check out the scopes and mounts over @ RedHunterLLC.com. I think they have a better price point and Red stands behind the stuff.

#7 hsiehjohn

hsiehjohn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing for Tuna, hunting wild pigs and coyotes.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:41 AM

Check out the following sites for the gauges:http://www.brownells.com/http://www.midwayusa.com/

#8 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

I got a Rock River scope mount and it works well. I think it was around 70 bucks at the time.Enjoy your new AR!

#9 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

I'm still researching mounts and scopes.I PICK MY AR UP TODAY! WOHOO! My friend is going more tactical while I'm going more of the sniper way. You know scope, free float custom stock with adjustable cheek piece and bench rest pistol grip. For now just using the carbine upper until I can afford a 20-24 inch heavy barrel :doh[1]: Wifey gave her seal of approval for it, she said I need a hobby and its ok with her. So now just saving up the money and buying stuff. Will post pics when I can. It will happen over time though. Going to have 2 different uppers though 1 more tactical and 1 more sniper oriented for long range shooting. Later down the road I may even try the 6.5 or 6.8mm versions. I have never tried them. Also need to get my all around hunting bolt rifle. But I'm not sure what I want to get. I wanna do something different. Not the standard rounds that I see everywhere. I was thinking maybe a 300 WSM or a 7mm WSM or just something different you know. I'm feeling somewhat untraditional at the moment. For lack of a better word.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#10 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

Oh and I was really luck cause my best friend bought this rifle for me and I didn't have to spend a dime. Gotta love a generous friend with a good job. Or a jeep he bought fixed and sold and had some extra money to spend. lol. I guess I got kinda lucky. Still trying to see if my wife wants that SCAR or not. She keeps changing her mind doh!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#11 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

Oh and I was really luck cause my best friend bought this rifle for me and I didn't have to spend a dime. Gotta love a generous friend with a good job.

Where can I find a friend like that

#12 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

I know right. I was dang man where were you when I was buying my remmy 700 it was even cheaper than my AR lol. Looking for a decent scope/mount and a good free floating handguard/low profile gasblock
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,232 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

If your an amour in the military we should be asking you questions not the other way around.

#14 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I'm familiarizing myself with civilian models and rules. I'm not used to having to worry about whether a weapon is legal or not. I personally have never liked civilian AR's. This is my first because it was free. So I'm trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I, myself am more of Bolt Rifle kinda guy. I dont use full mags of ammo to drop something that should only require 1 well aimed shot. Thats my theory. My friend bought this for me and I'm reaquainting myself with it and now learning just how crappy California gun laws really are outside of the military. I'm also finding that I really hate california and would love to move out of state.Anyway to get back to the point, in the marine corps we dont use scopes on ARs. The use only ACOG's, Aimpoint (reflex/dot sights) or bare iron sights. The only weapons to have scopes would be m40 sniper rifle, rem 700 again only for snipers, barrett 50 cal (or SASR in marine terminology), and sometimes the M2 50 cal machine gun. Oh and also the new DMR (designated marksman rifle) which the military is slowly starting to include in the armorers inventory of certain units. Its basically an accurized and match grade M14 with a custom stock/scope/biped the works. Everything else is iron sights or some variation of red dot/reflex or whatever else. No scopes. Its not like it is in the movies, but then again it all depends on the unit your in too. All that I've seen in 4 years never once did I see a scope or hear of them being used on AR's. This is why I'm here.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#15 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

Ok so we took out my buddies new AR. We fixed it with an aim point comp m2 and a set of picotiny hand rails. We got it zeroed pretty good took 10 shots to get on paper its was center mast at 100 yards. With a variable size red dot sight it shoots a group of about 3-4 inches at 100 yards. We put some cheap pmc 55 grain rounds through it about 100, and another 120 of hand loads. We had 1 double feed using factory ammo, which I've only seen 1 in 4 years as an armorer, and this is my first in a civilian model. Also with a hand load 1 bullet fired and actually got stuck in barrel about 3 inches in. I was like...... wow. We got it out no damage to chamber or the lands. It just so happened it was the last round fired and we never even noticed until we got back home and went to clean and we couldnt see out the other end of the barrel. We were like what the heck a bullet is stuck in the barrel and the case was properly ejected. Upon inspection of the bullet it was fine other than some minor scratches from the lands, it wasnt odd shaped or anything. So I thought it was somewhat strange. Any ideas? Maybe too little powder to get it out the barrel? Gas burned to fast maybe? Im open to any ideasOther than this, I did not bring mine out as of yet, I dont want to shoot mine until its set up with free float hand guards, scope/scope mount, bench rest pistol grip, low profile gas block and adjustable buttstock. And soon to happen a 20-24 inch heavy barrel. Not sure which for sure I want to go with yet.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#16 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

Upon inspection of the case though, I found nothing out of the ordinary? I'm somewhat stumped on this issue, I've never actually seen this happen. It was pretty cold out probably around 45 degrees F. Just some extra info
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

How about NO powder. And the double feed you mean it fired twice on one trigger pull?

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#18 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

It could have been no powder. But would a primer alone be enough to send the bullet down the barrel and eject the case? What about if some of the powder was spilled leaving only a little? Either way it was strange. The case didnt split or anything it was still perfect. It is strange. I may have to keep an eye on him when he's reloading. I check all mine during and after every step. I guess I need to reiterate this to him. He is new at it.By double feed I mean that it tried to chamber 2 rounds when the bolt carrier was sent forward. resulting in the severe denting of the first case out of the mag and the second trying to be fed into the chamber simultaneously. This I believe was user error. He is a little rusty it would seem.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

Probably very little powder. Under weight powder loads and you can get an explosive condition. There must have been some in there since the case ejected. I missed where you said it ejected the case, but I see that now. I think operator error on the double feed.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#20 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Yeah I think that was the case in this instance. I just thought it would be a good idea to let people know and possibly learn from my experience. Well my friends experience anyway. I was too busy shooting my remmy 700 in 223. My rifle loves the barnes tsx fb 55 grain bullets. It did ok with my speer/sierra match grade rounds. But go figure it loved the 37$ for 50 bullets rather than the 18$ for 100 bullets lol. I thought it was kinda funny
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users