#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

Got this 'brainstorm' the other day to shoot pellets into a toilet paper roll thinking I could retrieve them and examine rifling marks from my airgun barrels...A friend sent me a 'target' for the toilet paper roll so I would have a good aim point...lol..Anyway,I shot my Disco .22 first,...then shot my R9 .20 cal (both from 15 yards...(I retrieved each pellet before shooting another)...Based on my findings, I plan to fit a Lothar Walther choked barrel on my Discovery..Posted ImageMissed the 10X ring...lolPosted ImageEasy to separate paper to retrieve pellet. You can see how much the the roll colapsed on impact. Posted ImageHardly any rifing marks, if any, on this Discovery .22 pellet...JSB 14.3 gr Express..Posted ImagePosted ImageR9 .20 cal...rifing marks are clearly present on both head and skirt..Beeman FTS..Posted Image

#2 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:33 AM

Huh, never would of thought of a toilet paper role... ive used phonebooks for the same reason and they SUCK. The pellets fall out all over the dirt and you have to flip through about a thousand pages before you find the pellet, one by one by one..

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

You are right about phone books. I only used them once...... neat thing about toilet paper is you can use it often and just rotate a bit for more shots..I use a wire thru pellet hole to gauge depth,then separate sheets from top and retrieve pellet. Best to use dry for examining rifling marks....Since pics,I have tested all my Crosman airguns and pellets all look the same,...no definative rifling marks on pellet head,..just a trace on skirts..This just means Crosman barrels are on 'loose' side..with shallow lands/grooves..Today,I hope to check my rifles that have LW choked barrels..have three of those..

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

I went to the range today to try out the Disco barrel I polished, and to try out the toilet paper *trap* to take a look at my pellets. Well, good news and bad news. The pellets went all the way through TWO ROLLS of T/P and out the other side. I left the T/P in in the plastic wrapper it came in and lay it down next to my target at 25 yards. So the rolls were side by side and the pellet traveled through 4 different sides and out the back and gone. Good news is I think I have increased my pellet speed a whole bunch. Bad news, I think the pellet is STILL going. I have yet to determine if the accuracy is THAT much better. Of course it was not all that bad to start with. My gun may not be better but I FEEL better about my gun. Does that make any sense?

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

What pellets..?? I was shooting domes...my Disco shoots JSB 14.3 gr @ 906 FPS and pentrated I" into first layer just short of center tube of TP roll..

#6 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

I was using two different pellets. one was the Crosman hollow point in 14.3, and the JSB 18.1 grain rounded point. When I walked to the target and seen that both had completely gone through... I could not believe it. The CHP had a very clean exit hole but the 18.1 had an ugly wound coming out the backside.

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Mr Del. Better try some John Wayne toilet paper. Sorry I just had too. But really it has to be the paper is different if it is not stopping your Pellets like it is crazy horse's I think. I cant imagine your rifle is shooting that much harder than his.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#8 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

It must be the paper. Soooooo what kind of paper are you shooting at Mr. Crazyhorse? I know that John Wayne T/P don't take no sh#$t off of nobody. That stuff, Bennie???

#9 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:34 AM

I'm using Safeway brand called '1000 Sheets' (in blue 4 roll package) sold at Vons. 1000 one-ply sheets per roll/Hojas Senchillas Por rollo.Septic safe,unscented. LOL...

#10 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

For me to go to Von's I have a 75 mile drive. I will try Albertson's. It is here in town. Prices are higher than a giraffes ass but .....

#11 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

I am going to have to take a roll out and shoot it. You guys got me curious now. Need to see how tuff my paper is. LOL
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#12 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

Interesting - I should slug the barrel of my Disco to see where its at. The rifle is accurate as all getout, so I doubt I'll do much about it - but I may start playing around with my Paco Kelley Accurizr and modify a punch to form the pellets to a better diameter. It works wonders on .22 LR ammo...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,164 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:09 PM

SO I'm not the only person to buy one of those Paco Kelly creations? Boy was I ever disappointed in it. I mainly shoot a 10/22 and the bullets will not cycle in one, ever. Nowhere does it tell you they cannot be used in a semi-auto. So I tried a bolt action and they would jam 90% of the time. Finally I contacted Paco (not his real name) and he said they function well in a revolver. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: I don't know about yours but most of the hollow points were off center. I sent it back and finally got a refund. I made my own little drilling block and it works perfectly because it drills out the very center of the bullet. Just change the drill type and make different hollow points. And they even work in my 10/22's.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

I am going to have to take a roll out and shoot it. You guys got me curious now. Need to see how tuff my paper is. LOL

Yer crackin me up... :D

#15 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Interesting - I should slug the barrel of my Disco to see where its at. The rifle is accurate as all getout, so I doubt I'll do much about it - but I may start playing around with my Paco Kelley Accurizr and modify a punch to form the pellets to a better diameter. It works wonders on .22 LR ammo...

Mine has been pretty accurate...in fact use to shoot air rifle 50 yard benchrest with it until I got my Dominator HPA .22 which is regulated.My friend told me he put a pellet into muzzle of his Disco and pellet fell almost to the breech..(JSB)...I'm going to test some Crosman dome .22's and see what goes with them..

#16 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

You got me Crazyhorse your toilet paper is tougher than mine. LOL I have been bored and laid off quite a bit lately so I shot a roll with my AA S 510 and 18.1 grain JSB. I have been thinking about this post ever since you posted it. I thought the paper would stop the pellet with all those layers, but it did not. I am going to grab a roll of John Wayne toilet paper out of the out house next time I go back to work and see if it will do better. It is good thing I put my duct seal target behind it. The pellet went all the way through the roll and was tumbled in the duct seal target about 1/2" inch. Here is the pictures.Entry Hole.Posted ImageExit HolePosted ImageRemoved pelletPosted Image

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,164 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

The AA 510's are powerful. That's why the squirrels hate them. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#18 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

Shot my Disco from 15 yards or so...Have not tried my 30 FPE rifle yet...I'll do that tomorrow...your paper looks 'softer' than mine....lol..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users