15 replies to this topic

#1 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

finally find a gun that don"t blow them apart and even bade a pole to hang them from so i can skin them and found out it an"t that easy. any of you guys save the fur? i have watched some video they make it look so easy.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

It's pretty easy to poke holes in a coyote skin. If you get to them while they are still warm the kins come right off. It's just practice but I used to skin animals I trapped everyday as a kid. A knife I've found that is super easy to use an doesn't poke holes is a muskrat knife made buy Knives of Alaska. I have a set of them but this is the only set you would ever need.http://www.gandermou...mp;merchID=4006They stay extremely sharp. I've done four deer with it and it still didn't need to be sharpened. The only thing with these blades is that they aren't stainless and will rust if not cared for properly.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

I use those same knives and can also vouch for them. The muskrat with the rounded edge blade makes skinning anything nice and easy with no holes like happens with a pointed blade. The reason they stay sharp so long is their high carbon steel construction - great for sharpness, not so great for it's anti rust properties. A tip that was given to me by a custom knife maker is to not oil the knife ( I was using a light coating of olive oil to prevent rust ). Oil will just attract dust and dirt, and will also eventually ruin the leather sheaf. Instead use a micro crystalline wax like This one - this brand is supposed to be the best and is what I use. I got it at a Rockler woodworking store.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 hsiehjohn

hsiehjohn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing for Tuna, hunting wild pigs and coyotes.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

I saw some videos on YouTube that some people are using air compressors to skin animals. They use a special tip on the nozzle and blow air between the skin and flesh. Seems pretty easy, they puff up like balloons and the skin is separated instantly.

#5 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

When I was a kid I watched a goat get skinned that way in a Costa Rican slaughterhouse. It worked really well, but there were no bullet holes in the goat either...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#6 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

I saw some videos on YouTube that some people are using air compressors to skin animals. They use a special tip on the nozzle and blow air between the skin and flesh. Seems pretty easy, they puff up like balloons and the skin is separated instantly.

Oh, crap! Air compressors? One more piece of gear we need to haul into the field on our stands! Can I get one in Mossy Oak? :signgreatreport3kg:
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Like shooter john said they are a lot easier to do when warm. It takes practice. You want to use a knife as little as possible. Here is a video on how to skin a hide for the market. Notice all the tools this guy use's. The right tools makes it a lot easier.Doc skinning a coyote.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Baja Traveler, I use some old Carnauba paste wax on my none stainless tools and knives. It works very well and I haven't rusted anything yet.

Time waits for no one--

#9 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

As said...practice. The first few you skin usually take up quite a bit of time but after you skin a few you'll start figuring it out. Also as said, if you can skin them right away it makes a difference...the fur pulls off easier. They get a bit more tough to pull as they stiffen up.Here is another good demo.skinning a coyote
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#10 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Ive never saved fur. but Im reading that fur prices are rising enough to make me think about saving them. I do have a couple of questions for those that do save fur. I live where its really hot most of the year. I was told years back that only in the months of Dec throu Feb will the coyotes have a decent enough pelt to be worth keeping. where can I find out how to prepare them for market? and lastly who buys them? DR

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

You have to have a trapping license to be able to sell them.

Time waits for no one--

#12 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

so a test and a $100 fee, then Id have to sell quite a few to make it worth it. DR

#13 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

Just keep practicing. My first skin took two hours. Taking care of it sooner than later is better. I've been working through some from this season and last. The final product is well worth it. These are going to be made into hats after tanning.Posted Image

#14 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

Very nice indeed. :bleh[1]:

#15 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

ya im kinda in the same boat have watched lots of animals get skinned in my youth but has been 30 years and I have never skinned anything and now wish to learn.I might have to bribe some peeps or go visit Rae with some dead critters :lol:

#16 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

Ill show ya LOL Its really NOT that hard guys.. however it does take practice to not cut alot of holes.. Seriously just practice and you will get the hang of it.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users