9 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

I have a friend that shot a buck last season with his Rem 700 300 mag.He put it away for a few months then took it out and tried to open the bolt but it will not budge even with 2 hands what could have happened?

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

Did he put it away with a shell in it???? Treat all guns as loaded, rule #1. Is it a ADL or BDL? Most of the time that a bolt sticks on a 700 is due to a hot load, you can useually hammer them open with a block of wood on bolt handle. You can also break the bolt handle off. You might want to take it to a gunsmith to do the least amount of damage to rifle as possible.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

To see if a live round is in the chamber, run a wooden dowel down the barrel and take a measurement. Compair that to the outside of the barrel. If it is a SPENT round it could have accumulated debris just before firing (sand, sweat,dirt,pocket lint) If not a live round move to bolt handle to the unlocked position and tap with a plastic hammer AFTER spraying with WD-40 or some other anti - stickun stuff. Good luck.Murph. In God we trust.

#4 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

is the safety on? Some of the 700's would lock the bolt when the safety was on.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#5 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, shooting, metal detecting for gold rush relics, fishing, camping.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

is the safety on? Some of the 700's would lock the bolt when the safety was on.

Love that! And you are absolutely right, 700s made before about 1992 or so have a bolt lock on the safety, good chance this is it.If there is a round in the barrel don't take it anywhere, have help come to you. A cartridge or an empty case in the chamber can stick pretty tight after a few months, especially if it got wet at some point. If the bolt opens and fails to extract don't use a cleaning rod on a loaded round! If you decide to hammer on the bolt handle do it gently, they break off rather easily and it will be cheaper to have a gunsmith unscrew the barrel then resolder the bolt handle. Try a good douching with Kroil or ATF, that will loosen things up if anything will. If you have no luck pm me. I have a few more tricks.
It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Tough to tell with a Remington. Sometimes they fire when you take the safety off too! Seriously though, good Luck. Hope he gets it figured out.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#7 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

What, was the out come so far? Did you get it unstuck
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

ThanksI will find out what he did last season but I am sure he didn't leave a round in the chamber.It might be the safety.

#9 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

I know this thread is a year old but what ever happened?

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

He had a friend bang on the handle with a block of wood like i told him.It just got stuck maybe a bad case he is not the best re loader.was talking with my friend today the primer from the shell came off and got caught it was a 300 rem mag to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users