• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:31 AM

Is it okay to switch the bolt assembly from one upper to another without any problems? thanks glenn

#2 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, shooting, metal detecting for gold rush relics, fishing, camping.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

Glenn,The short answer is: ProbablyNow for the long answer. The bolt and barrel extension wear together, if you swap bolts they will have to wear in again but that is not necessarily a problem unless you continually swap. The headspace should be checked but AR bolts and barrel extension dimensions are pretty uniform. In fitting several hundred I have come across two bolts that were bad, both imported from pacific rim countries.You can check with a micrometer and be reasonably sure the headspace will be ok. Here's how:With a micrometer measure the length of the lugs on the bolt, then measure the depth of the bolt face recess and subtract the depth from the lug length. Compare the result on both bolts, if it's within .002 it should be OK, but if you can, get it checked with headspace gauges.
It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With

#3 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, shooting, metal detecting for gold rush relics, fishing, camping.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

If the bolt is within mil spec, then there shouldn't be a problem.

...and barrel extension...
It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With

#4 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

okay..thanks guys.. here is my problem..i have a 300 whisper upper and dying to shoot it..but only have one bolt..so i think i will wait and get another bolt assembly before i screw something up..thanks again glenn

#5 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

If you have all the parts isn't it driving you nuts to not shoot it? You can always get another bolt. What are the chances that you would or even could mess up a bolt the first time you fire the weapon. I would think that is unlikely.

#6 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

thanks Autocrosser

#7 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:07 AM

I just want to hear how it shoots. I was really interested in this caliber a couple years ago.

#8 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

well, in my tc contender, i keep about a 3/4 at 100 yards with balistic tips...130/150..so..i will let you know..glenn

#9 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

I wouldn't without first headspacing it. If your in doubt just take it to a gunsmith and have them check it out for you. I mean I'm sure you could but its better to error on the side of safety then to take the chance blindly and something goes wrong and it (heaven forbid) hurts you, kills you, destroys your gun and so on. I would have it checked out first by a gunsmith
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#10 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

IT SHOT GREAT!!!!!!!I have a heavy trigger pull on my ar but all in all it shot great..now i just have to find the right recipe for the loads..glenn

#11 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

Glenn,I look forward to some pictures of your groups.

#12 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

Autocrosser...I havent figured out the photobucket yet...photobucket doesnt want to cooperate with me...when i am not having a senior moment, there is no problems..but with this upper, the tollerance are differient..I had a batch of reloads that were perfect and functioned flawlessly..the next wouldnt chamber due to sizing issues..but it was shooting fine through my t/c..so...that being said, i just have to pay attention to detail and not get frustrated...glenn

#13 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

Yeah in most bolt rifles the tolerances seem to be greater than for an AR. Oh and BTW I pick my AR up TODAY! WOHOO now to order the free float handguards, low profile gas block, mount/scope with tax return, then building a new upper! :doh[1]: Stoked. And wife says its ok cause I need a hobby! Shes the best!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#14 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

Good for you Kepers...look up dsg arms and just google ar15 parts..you can find some good prices....I am all loaded up but the sportsmans show is at calexpo so i will be at the range on monday..have fun with your ar...glenn

#15 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

So after reading this I have always been told to keep all upper parts with their upper, use different bolt carrier groups to their respective uppers because of wear patterns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users