#1 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

Ok, stupid noob move I think. Went yote hunting this morning, got back to the truck to unload and tried to extract the unfired round from the chamber by pulling back on the CH. It would'nt budge. I've heard about "mortaring" the gun by holding onto the CH while bumping a fully closed stock on the ground. I did'nt want to try this until I got some advice. I did'nt fire any rounds today, and it seems to be pretty well lubed. Man, sure am missing the M1A.

#2 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, shooting, metal detecting for gold rush relics, fishing, camping.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

Push the pins and remove the lower half. From the six O'clock position using a screwdriver beteween the front edge of the bolt carrier and the receiver gently pry the bolt carrier to the rear. As it moves rearward it will unlock the bolt and extract the round. Make sure to find the problem, the only thing I've seen cause this is improperly sized ammo or water down the barrel.You can pogo a FAL but I wouldn't try it on an AR since the firing pin is free floating and can rebound. And never try to remove a loaded round with a cleaning rod.
It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With

#3 armyshooter

armyshooter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:38 AM

I have done the "mortaring" trick befor and it dose work. KClark is right about the chance of an AD doing this, so if you do this go to the range. The only times I have had to do this was at a range, so it might be a dirty gun of bad ammo. Good luck.

#4 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

I have heard of this on Match chambers with slight imperfections in the ammo.

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

I agree with KClark. I would not use the slam method. If you maintain your rifle correctly, the problem is most likely ammo that was not sized properly.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Push the pins and remove the lower half. From the six O'clock position using a screwdriver beteween the front edge of the bolt carrier and the receiver gently pry the bolt carrier to the rear. As it moves rearward it will unlock the bolt and extract the round. Make sure to find the problem, the only thing I've seen cause this is improperly sized ammo or water down the barrel.You can pogo a FAL but I wouldn't try it on an AR since the firing pin is free floating and can rebound. And never try to remove a loaded round with a cleaning rod.

Took your advice KClark. Thanks, the BCG came out and ejected the live round. Woohoo. I'm thinking a combination of very cold weather and probably lack of lube caused the BC to stick. A tear-down, cleaning is in order. Thanks again.

#7 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

Ranger, was it hand loaded ammo? I had the same problem when I started reloading for the .223. I switched to small base dies, so I you didn't reload it yourself and or you bought reloaded ones. That may be the problem
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#8 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Yes it was Robert. I dropped the round into the chamber and turned over the upper. It came right out, no problem. When I pulled out the BCG, it felt frozen, but dry. The person that reloads for me has been doing it for years, and we've worked out the loads over a long period of time. I trust the loads, but maybe not the lube I happened to use this particular day. I sprayed some Rem-oil on the bolt as I was rushing out to hunt [19degrees]. I'm pretty sure it was the oil. I sent for some slip2000, so we'll see.

#9 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Forward assist could be stuck inward as well. Its unlikely but it is possible. definitely take the lower receiver off and take a good look at it. In my years as an armorer I have never once ran into this problem though using any M16/M4/ar15 style rifle. Id say its a first to hear about that for me. I'm assuming its quite common in ar15 type rifles (civilian models)? Never ran across this with mil spec rifles under any conditions at all. And working with recruits and stuff Ive seen some strange happenings with rifles in the hands of people that have never handled them before. I got some stories I'll tell ya. Good luck with that. Let me know what you find!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#10 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, shooting, metal detecting for gold rush relics, fishing, camping.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

Keith, good point about the F/A stuck, that would do it.Rifle locked in battery is not common at all in the military because the parts are mostly, if not all, top notch and all they are fed is milspec ammo, the good stuff. Civilian ARs have the whole spectrum of parts quality and some ammo, especially reloads, can be oversize, out of round or not concentric. When oversize dimensions start stacking up they get stuck, I've seen it a lot in civilian life. Occaisonally you see a barrel with a finicky chamber because a reamer meant for bolt rifles or a worn out reamer was used to chamber it, semi-autos run better with slightly more generous dimensions. A semi-auto needs to extract a case that is still sizzling hot and may still be under residual pressure, the bolt rifle has a second or two for the barrel to draw the heat from the case and it has a chance to spring back, then they drop out warm where as the semi-auto is scorching hot.
It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With

#11 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

yeah some of the military service rifles are great, some are in humble shape. When inspected mine I tried to check everything I could. I fixed countless rifles. Yeah we had access to all the good stuff. I've had to through perfectly good barrels away, bolts, entire uppers, and all kinds of stuff cause of the rules we had to follow. Not to mention all the berretta 92 parts, m40, rem700 parts, 240, 249, and blah blah. I'm like dang this is where my tax dollars are going lol.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#12 SWAG762

SWAG762

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Camping, SCUBA Diving, and Quads

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

I have had this happen before and the cause for me was having to much crimp on the round causing the shoulder to push down and expand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users