14 replies to this topic

#1 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

Took my shooting bench and set it up to point at the corner of the masonry wall in the back yard. Hung a pellet trap over the top of the wall to hang down to the right lever. It lasers out at 29 yards. Good enough.I shot several five shot groups from my MROD in .22. Amazing the difference! Pellets used were Crossman Premier HP in 14.3 g; Crossman Premier 14.3g; JSB Diablo Exacts 14.3g; JSB Diablo Exacts 15.8.Clearly my rifle likes heavier pellets. Now I'm going to get some Kodiaks and maybe some heavier JSB Exacts. Do CPs comein heavier waits. They just seem to be better quality out of the box - fewer dented skirts.Here's the rifle and some of the pellets:Attached File  rifle_and_pellets.jpg   36.24KB   20 downloadsHere's the bench:Attached File  bench.jpg   28.03KB   18 downloadsHere's the view from bench to the target - 29 yards:Attached File  bench_to_target.jpg   27.47KB   21 downloadsHere's the hanging pellet trap:Attached File  hanging_target.jpg   34.49KB   20 downloadsFinally - here are the results - best group was just over an inch at 29 yards. I'm hoping it will group better when it finds the pellets it loves.Attached File  target.jpg   21.59KB   19 downloads

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

That is a real nice set up for back yard fun.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

What scope is that you are using?I have the Marauder .25 and it shoots both the Kodiaks and JSB Exacts extremely well. I always charge only to 2700-2800fps and then recharge after a max of 9 shots.

I'm an airgunholic

#4 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

I'm using a Hawke SR. I think it's 4-14.The 15 shots all started right around 2700.

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

With The heavy JSBs or Kodiaks I would expect it to be under an inch at 30 yds. Is the barrel centered in the front ring?

I'm an airgunholic

#6 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Hi Brant - I'm not sure what that means. Could you explain a bit?Thanks

#7 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

The barrel is free floating which is why you never want to lean it in the corner like I am guilty of with many of my guns. There is a band that the barrel goes through. The barrel should be close to going through the center of the band so that it will not be touching on any side. That way the barrel can consistantly flex as it shoots. If it touching or close to touching it may affect the accuracy.This video shows the band clearance. I am a little nervouse about tweaking the barrel though.http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

I'm an airgunholic

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

Here is a guy shooting the 22 Marauder at 35 yds with Kodiaks.http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I'm an airgunholic

#9 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

The barrel is free floating which is why you never want to lean it in the corner like I am guilty of with many of my guns. There is a band that the barrel goes through. The barrel should be close to going through the center of the band so that it will not be touching on any side. That way the barrel can consistantly flex as it shoots. If it touching or close to touching it may affect the accuracy.This video shows the band clearance. I am a little nervouse about tweaking the barrel though.http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

I'll check it out - thanks.

#10 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Someone sent me an email today that apparently there has been a bad batch of barrels on some of the recent Marauders. I have heard this several times now. Apparently Mac1 had to send a bunch (.25s) back and is awaiting replacements but others have noticed it as well. Everyone I saw described was the 22 caliber. You may want to contact Crosman.

I'm an airgunholic

#11 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hmmm - I'll check it out thanks.

#12 Bobby B

Bobby B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

nice set up where did you get that table

#13 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

It's from "do-all outdoors"

#14 Kesepton

Kesepton

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Kayaking, Backpacking, now Hunting.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

I just got my .22 mrod the other day. I finally got a chance to fill it up but havent gotten a chance to shoot a single pellet through it yet... sighI hope mine is a good one! The barrel does touch on the left for mine though.... I had read this was an issue and was hoping to find a fix for that.I read also that these barrels tend to like the "bigger" pellets also, as you had noted. I have Kodiacs and baracuda pellets coming for mine. The previous owner said it had liked the CPs though, so i got some of those to try as well.Try looking for ones with the larger heads on your next batch of pellets. Ill post up my results when I get around to shooting it.

#15 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

I helped two guys that both had scope issues and were about to send their MRods back. I suspect we hear about the few bad barrels a lot and the rate is really pretty low considering the numbers out there.On the pellets it is obvious with the dozen or so pellets I tested the Barracudas/Kodiaks (exact same pellet) fit tighter and have more skirt for the barrel choke to grab as one obvious difference. The Barracudas are less expensive (more in a tin) than the Kodiaks for the same thing. I cant tell any difference between the match and regular of either. Both cut a single fat hole at my 32 yard short target with the Condor 22 or Marauder 25.

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users