• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

What is everyones opinion on the .25cal I'm thinking about getting a Daystate Air Ranger in .25 cal and they make them all the way up too 80fpe.Posted Image

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

I do not own a .25 yet, but will some day I am sure. I am thinking they would have to buck the wind a lot better. That is real nice rifle you are looking at. I looked at them recently and opted for a cheaper AA 510 in .22. I think I will get .25 next time for sure,but am not positive because I would also like to have a higher quality .177 than what I have now. I have finally got an air rifle in every caliber but the .25 though.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

They are beautiful guns. Wow 80 fpe and 22 shots. At $1895 my wife would just mail me the divorce papers.

#4 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I do not own a .25 yet, but will some day I am sure. I am thinking they would have to buck the wind a lot better. That is real nice rifle you are looking at. I looked at them recently and opted for a cheaper AA 510 in .22. I think I will get .25 next time for sure,but am not positive because I would also like to have a higher quality .177 than what I have now. I have finally got an air rifle in every caliber but the .25 though.

They do make a lot of diffrent pellet sizes for sure not to mention the custom big bores.0.177" 0.20" 0.22" 0.25" 9mm (0.35") 0.45" 0.50"

#5 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

They are beautiful guns. Wow 80 fpe and 22 shots. At $1895 my wife would just mail me the divorce papers.

I saw them for $1599 at a few places I thought and i want to add a .177 Air Arms Pro Sport to my collection also. The big one I will have to save for is the Daystate Grand Prix at $3399 it's a big lump of money but a very nice gun for sure.Posted Image

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Thats real nice although I like that european walnut on the air ranger a lot. With my new Marauder .25 (and only 48 fpe or so) and Beeman kodiaks I am killing pretty much everything I see in my backyard that is fair game and beyond. So far my longest shot (on a sparrow off of a bench rest :-)) has been 74 yds and its hard to get a shot beyond that with the heavy woods and hill behind my house. If I come into a fortune the Daystates are on the list.

#7 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

The daystate is way out of my price range but I can comment on .25. I've got a .22 mac 1 disco and a .25 Mrod. On a windy day the .25 out shoots the .22 every time. I has a lot more knockdown on game as well. Two things about the .25 I don't like, price and trajectory. My Mrod shoots fairly flat but has a much more pronounced arc than the.22. At 80fpe this may not e as much of a factor though. .25 ammo is really expensive too, ok for hunting but for plinking it gets hard on the wallet.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

But at 80fpe I'll bet it sounds like a .22mag.

#9 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

The daystate is way out of my price range but I can comment on .25. I've got a .22 mac 1 disco and a .25 Mrod. On a windy day the .25 out shoots the .22 every time. I has a lot more knockdown on game as well. Two things about the .25 I don't like, price and trajectory. My Mrod shoots fairly flat but has a much more pronounced arc than the.22. At 80fpe this may not e as much of a factor though. .25 ammo is really expensive too, ok for hunting but for plinking it gets hard on the wallet.

The .177 is the best for plinking since it's so cheap. I just want to try to get one of every caliber and from different manufactures.

#10 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

I just started testing the JSBs (25.4) gr in the Marauder. The increased velocity and better BC helps reduce the trajectory curve by about 18% over the Beeman Kodiaks (31.02) at 100 yds. Based on the BCs I found .039 for the Kodiak and .044 for the JSB and the velocity jump makes it seem like the JSBs might be a better choice for long range Marauder performance level. Not quite sure yet.Hard to beat the quietness of the Marauder.

#11 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

True, my tuned .22 Marauder is very quiet and has good power and accurate it's just not the same quality, fit and finish stock that the high end European guns are but it's a great bang for the money.Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

That darn tradeoff. I figured I could upgrade the stock as the custom ones comes out but these guys don't have exactly what I am looking for.http://www.qualitygunstocks.com/That is nice. Who did that work?

#13 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

I did everything myself, I put in a new polished trigger, reworked the trigger mechanism and springs, aligned the barrel and band, drilled out the baffles, turned the gun to run higher psi and put out over 30+fpe then I reworked the stock as the OEM finish looked and felt cheap and I didn't need a ambidextrous stock only right hand. Everything made the gun lighter and look and feel better to me along with improved power, performance and accuracy.Attached File  1.jpg   12.04KB   10 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   12.61KB   12 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   19.45KB   12 downloads

#14 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

Yes the stock definitely needs to go on a diet. At least a pound. I see some of the custom .25 Marauders are claiming about 60 fpe. I guess they need a bigger tank at that point.

#15 Jerry

Jerry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Brant,PLEASE check out www.yellowforum.com and their dealer BOI before you purchase a stock (namely from where you posted a link). I know at least one member on here has had good luck with Mr. Linthicum but MANY people are having terrible luck with orders they spent a lot of money on. Plus, the yellow is probably the largest U.S. airgun forum on the net, its a great resource. Please research dealers on there though, just an fyi.Jerry

#16 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:58 AM

I have been perusing the site and found some stock makers like Steve Corchran (Airguns of Texas).Here is one I am intrerested in.

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

:smiley_green_with_envy: My wife looked at this page and said to try refinishing it first. I have done several stocks and explained to her the artistic skill level required to remove wood from a stock and to make it look decent again. Being made of beech I might be tempted to stain it lightly before using Tru Oil or the pure Tung oil I used on my last stock. It was a lot of work sanding and handrubbing about a dozen coats and took me nearly a month to do my last stock but I followed the Weatherby instructions for a hand rubbed oil finish they use on their high end shotguns (I don't care too much for the gloss poly look not to mention scratches). i said If I a not happy I will place an order for the thumbhole walnut.How did you remove the original finish?

#18 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

What is everyones opinion on the .25cal I'm thinking about getting a Daystate Air Ranger in .25 cal and they make them all the way up too 80fpe.Posted Image

Get it. You will regret getting anything less. A .22 doesn't compare especially when hunting. I've got a .25 Sumatra/80fpe. Squirrel at lazered 142 yards. Jack at 105. I'm working on getting a coyote within 50. I would love a Daystate. Get it and a good scope, plus some good accurate heavy rounds.

#19 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

I don't know about .22 not being good for hunting as I have gotten a squirrel at 105 yards with my 40FPE AZ tuned Rapid. I'm going to try to go to PAG this weekend and I might end up getting a fully tuned and built 60FPE .25 Rapid with thumb hole stock.

#20 Bobby B

Bobby B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

WOW! very nice Mrod!

#21 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

My Condor 22 has a lot more power than my Marauder .25 at full power (65+ fpe with JSB Monsters in the Condor and approaching 50 fpe on the Marauder .25 with Kodiaks.Nice stock refinish. Is that Tru Oil? I just don't see that grain in my beech Marauder stock. I picked up a laminated thumbhole Boyds to use that requires finishing and inletting and will attempt to refinish the Marauder stock after I finish the Boyds.To come near that nice Daystate stock you would have to go for a Steve Cochran walnut thumbhole for $450 for the Marauder.

#22 Bobby B

Bobby B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

My Condor 22 has a lot more power than my Marauder .25 at full power (65+ fpe with JSB Monsters in the Condor and approaching 50 fpe on the Marauder .25 with Kodiaks.

Condors are really nice but too pricey for me, I had a hard time justifying 800.00 for my AR

#23 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

Yes they are a bit pricey (and they just had a small price increase to boot I just beat). The black airgun of airguns (except mine is red). The main issue with Condors is the noise. I bought mine through R&L Airguns in Colorado and they make a dandy well baffled shroud/silencer that really quiets them down as long as you keep things below the speed of sound. Like the ARs everything can be exchanged for any other calibers, barrel lengths, tanks, etc so they are very versatile. Third parties make quite an assortment of modifications and some are pretty cool. Believe or not some third parties do make wooden grips and forearms (in one case they make a one piece walnut stock) if that floats your boat. There are also adapters that make it AR grip compatible. I have a hard time justifying most of my guns too. :-) My next PCP may have to be a pistol....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users