• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

Anybody have any special recipes for tree squirrels that they like?
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

I usually make them into a stew meat or pressure cook them till tender.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

Bake them in the oven and add rice and cream of mushroom. Or bread them and fry them up.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:10 PM

cook them just like chicken :lol: treat them like wild rabbit or pheasant or chicken. Im lazy i just fry them like chicken.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#5 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

I've used a cajun rub and cooked 'em on the BBQ, tried doing a tomato sauce/white rice thing once that I screwed up, but I was just curious to hear some other suggestions. Lady my wife works with said her boyfriend makes a "squirrel pie" out of them. :lol: I'm guessing like a chicken pot pie or something? I told the wife to find out more... :lol:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#6 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

I usually cook them just like my rabbit.Mix some cajun seasoning with some flour. Egg the pieces then roll in flour and fry em' up.. YUMMY..
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:44 AM

I'd also guess that the "squirrel pie" is much like a pot pie.

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

Dice the meat up and cook in Olive Oil with fresh garlic, salt, pepper and oregano add corn, peas and whatever else. Put it on a corn torrtilla with some tapatio and your good to go.

#9 Robairto

Robairto

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

I used to eat squirrel in when I lived in Missouri. The squirrels were Fox and grey. My mom croc potted them with bisquits and gravey.

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

Where in Missouri did you live?

#11 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:54 PM

There was a great show on CSNET yesterday here in the bay area where they demostrate diff game cooking and he had quail & squirrel...I'll look for the link nd send along...look great and of course they make it all seem waaay too easy.
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#12 LA Conservative

LA Conservative

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in improving my hunting skills. I've almost always only hunted alone, so my skill is low and I need help.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

I can't squirrel hunt here in LA County; but when I lived in Jersey, I would quarter them, salt and pepper both sides, and fry them in Extra Virgin Olive oil and Garlic. Put some of the Garlic in before you put in the squirrel and let the flavor get into the Oil.Yum yum yum.

#13 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:48 PM

:good: :good: :good: :rolleyes: Cook them slow on a low heat in cast iron skillit. make a white gravy and let them cook slow in it yum yum . All above sound great.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#14 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:52 PM

That pot pie sounds great. Tell us more.... :good: :good:Attached File  1.jpg   38.54KB   22 downloads
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users