• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

I had a scope on my pellet rifle for a while but got horrible accuracy out of it. At only 20 yards I would get my groups as tight as possible windage wise but elevation would vary practicaly 4'' down from the bulseye. I took the scope off and used the factory iron sights and got much better grouping. I thought it could be that the break barrel wasnt lining up PERFECTLY every time. Gun is a Crosman Quest 1000 .177, Bushnell 3-9x32 .22 Rimfire Scope, Gamo Match pellets. I found out that the scope was not ment for the springer recoil but didnt shoot that much with it on there due to the bad groups. Scope was pretty cheap but only got bad groups up/down never side/side. I have seen lots of people using scopes on Beeman and higher end Crosmans and Gamos is it just the barrel or did the recoil bust the scope?

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

I did the same thing with my R-1. I am not the brightest bulb in the world and figured if a scope could take the recoil of a magnum rifle, then an air rifle was no problem. I ruined two good scopes with my R-1. My R-1 broke the scope,s I put on it in just a little while. I then listened to people here and put a air rifle scope on it. So far it is really accurate with the air rifle scope. Put a air rifle scope on it rated for heavy recoil and I think your results will be different than what you are seeing now. :signbummer8tl: P.S. I got this air rifle scope off of E-Bay for 40 dollars. It is not the best but it is accurate so far. It is a Center Point 3x9 40 mm pellet rifle scope.Posted Image

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

Leapers "TS" scopes will hold up...be sure to use stop pin hole in scope rail and carefully line up stop screw...http://leapers.com/p...o...s=&mtrack=m

#4 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

@crazyhorseThat scope looks really really good but too expensive for me. Im 14 so no permanent job and a really tight budget. I found a more affordable scope on Cheaper Than Dirt but I dont know how good it really is. Leapers 6x32 Not as much magnification but my eyes are good and the rabbits and squirrels here are dumb. Is it too cheap to be quality do you think. Also what is the "stop screw"? I know what hole your talking about but never heard of a stop screw or know what its for.@BennieDo you think that an air rifle scope is the only problem? To me it seems like damaging the scope would make the groups spread farther in all directoins not just up/down. At first a friend and I thought it was that the barrel wasnt lining up perfectly every time because the groups would be good and then one would be like 3" low and then it was fine for a while and then it would do it again, then we shot my neighbors HW97 Beeman underlever and it was dead on every time.

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

Yes I do but am not positive. I am not familiar with your rifle. Maybe someone else here that has a rifle like yours and will speak up. I do know that I also thought that my rifle's barrel was not returning to the same spot. This air rifle rated scope showed me that it was. I can now shoot 1/2 inch groups with this set up at 20 yards.

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

Check these out maybe. You can go on e-bay and do a search for air rifles scopes and more than 50 different ones will come up.Air Rifle Scope and MountsLeapers Air rifle scope

#7 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Check out pyramid air, they have leapers scopes with rings for $50 or less and you can use their 10% coupon on top of that. They have leapers fixed magnification scopes for less than $30. Leapers are a decent scope for the money. I have a 3-9x40 on my RWS 52 and a 4x32 on my tech force 41. The optics are nice and clear and the mildots are great. They may not be as nice as the more expensive scopes but they are tough as nails and will take the recoil from you break barrel.

#8 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

Thanks ill check that out. I'm trying to find a good used one or a cheap new one that can hold up. So far the Leapers True Strength ones look pretty good and easy to find cheap. The illuminated reticule looks like it could be pretty usefull for my hunting which is mostly rats and rabbits at night and early morning. Are the Leapers one decent quality? Do Illuminated Reticules help that much to be worth the extra cost? And lastly, what is the "stop screw" for and where can I buy one?

#9 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:28 AM

The 'stop' screw is located in bottom half of your scope ring....it is vertical to the stop hole on your gun scope rail....when you install your scope rings,be sure to line up rear ring with stop hole,...then take an allen head wrench and carefully run 'stop screw' into stop hole..don't go to far,..just contact bottom of hole..This stop screw prevents scope shift on rail...mainly for spring piston rifles like your Quest...

#10 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

@crazyhorseThank you. I never noticed that on my old scope. Maybe because its a rimfire scope though. Ive found a few Leapers True Strength scopes that would suit my needs for pretty cheap.

#11 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Pete the stop screw that crazy horse is talking about is not a part of your scope. It is a part of the rings that hold the scope to the rifle. The stop screw is in the bottom half of your rear rings, if you have one on your rings. It keeps the scope from sliding on the scope rail or dove tail depending on what you call it which is a part of your air rifle that the rings attach too. Your rings may not have a stop screw in them and this may be why you are confused about it. And please let us know when you get your scope on how it shoots.

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

@crazyhorseThank you. I never noticed that on my old scope. Maybe because its a rimfire scope though. Ive found a few Leapers True Strength scopes that would suit my needs for pretty cheap.

Here are pics to be clear...normally,air rifle rings have one ring with the stop screw,..(that is your rear ring)...they also supply an allen wrench for both the ring cap screws and stop screw..important to line up ring hole with rail stop hole.Note these rings shown are for 11mm dovetails...so be sure to get rings that match your scope rail..When you get your new scope,post here and we can 'walk' you thru mounting process...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

@Bennie Yah I ment the rings on the scope have no stop screw hole. I bought the scope with rings premounted because it was cheaper and I didnt really know what I was doing.@ crazyhorseThanks for the clarification but my scope rings dont have those. I always wondered what that hole was for. Thanks for the help everyone.

#14 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:53 PM

I have your crosman (the storm) same gun but it comes with a scope. it's a cheap centerpoint-springer ratedthat I bought used (3-9x32 non AO). it's currently on a heavily tuned BAM B-26 and has at least 2500 rounds of recoil on it.I use a one piece mount which has the set screw into the tube and it never moves or shifts zero. ever.a good one piece mount on a springer is as important as a springer rated scope. leapers/hawke andcenterpoint all have good reputations. I once killed a $275 aimpoint red dot on a springer. HTH's.

#15 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

@airgunny Thanks, I was planning on using the rings that came with my old scope but I guess now I will have to look for some better ones.Thanks to everyone else too for clearing this up more. I thought my gun was useless with a scope but now I got it

#16 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

Sorry. I cant get rid of this single post without deleting the topic

#17 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:59 PM

Need to keep stuff like that to your self if you want it pete. Tell every one if you want them to have a shot at it. Good luck. When I bought mine I bought it at the buy it now price.

#18 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

Yeah I was just thinking that.

#19 TAP

TAP

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Airguns, metal detectors, amateur radio and woodworking.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

I bought a Crosman 1000X which came with 2 piece scope mounts and a Centerpoint scope but the recoil was too much and caused the mounts and scope to constantly shift out of alignment. I opted to use a 1 piece scope mount to prevent the scope from shifting and an inexpensive Barska 3-12X40 AO scope, no more problems.PS - This gun makes a loud crack sound similar to a .22 rim fire rifle so I don't shoot it much.

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

Glad to hear you got your scope mount fixed. Try using a heavier pellet to drop the pellet speed and get rid of the crack of the rifle. Maybe the rifle isn't broken in yet or has some extra oil in it causing to diesel which can also cause the loud crack.

#21 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

PS - This gun makes a loud crack sound similar to a .22 rim fire rifle so I don't shoot it much.

Yeah I know what your talking about. After I lube the barrel and when it wasnt broken in yet it made a loud crack. It has settled down now though to be pretty quiet.

#22 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

Well I got my new Centerpoint 4-16x40I/R A/O scope on friday, didnt get the rings till today. Just mounted it and sighted it in to 15 yards, its a short distance but is as long as I can get without going to a range. The rings are UTG Leapers one piece from amazon.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageI was getting sub 1" groups as I was sighting in which is alright for 15yds. I didnt get a chance to really dial it in as I ran out of the few pellets I had, which were cheap beeman pointed pellets.

#23 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Are you using a rest to sight it in? I use a front rest and a rear squeeze bag to sight in all my rifles. Looks like a good air rifle scope and mount to me.

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

Hey that should work great! I sure like those scopes that change the reticule colors. I have one on my Rem 17cal. It's especially nice at dawn and dusk. But I hate it when the battery goes dead. :sport037fn4:

#25 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Looking good Pete...the CenterPoint 4-16 is a tough scope..good choice....I have two of them..If you are using a front bag,be sure to rest forestock in your open palm..those groups will shrink...and don't grip that rifle tight with your shooting hand...I have just one springer..R9 .20 cal...took me awhile to get use to it...custom barrel,..full shroud..Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

Im on a tight budget so my shooting bag is a couple grocery bags full of sawdust, it works alright but isnt the stablest

#27 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

Pete, take a couple of pant legs from some old, worn out pants, sew across one end, fill them with, sand, sew up the other end, and you have some cheap, great shooting bags.

#28 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

Here is a cheap solution:Find some old hunting socks,...fill with aquarium gravel (walmart $3.00)...two socks/two 3lb bags aquarium gravel...I made mine that way...before I got a Caldwell bag.......in pic below I used them as 'rear' rests,..but they can be used as front rests on top of a bucket or something...Posted Image

#29 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

Well I had a late start day from school and I just got some more pellets so I dialed my scope in better. Set a couple targets at 15yds. and went for my best grouping.Here are the results.Posted ImageAll of them were from 3/4" to 1". Not too bad for me, with awkward setup and not knowing what pellets it likes yet.Here is a picture of my "bench"Posted ImageNot as nice as a dedicated bench rest but it does the job.

#30 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

[quote name='crazyhorse' date='Jan 11 2011, 09:16 PM' post='216424']Looking good Pete...the CenterPoint 4-16 is a tough scope..good choice....I have two of them..If you are using a front bag,be sure to rest forestock in your open palm..those groups will shrink...and don't grip that rifle tight with your shooting hand...Like crazyhorse said and make sure you grip or rest it in the same place on the stock every time never rest it on the barrel. Springers are really hold sensitive. Also just use the tip of your trigger finger to squeeeez the trigger. I think your groups will shrink when you shoot it some more. I had to play with my springer a little bit to find out how it liked to be held.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users