Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:17 AM
Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:18 AM
Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:07 PM
Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:04 PM
Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:30 PM
Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:45 PM
Most of us are constantly trying to answer that question. It depends on where you are going and when. Bring a variety of patterns and then look closely at what is flying or swimming where you will be fishing. Explore Ralph Cutter's website. His books are also excellent for the simple approach.http://www.flyline.c...ns/hatch_chart/Cutter has spent a lot of time underwater, observing trout. He estimates that 90% of the bugs that trout eat are drifting underwater and the other 10% are floating on the surface. In spite of that fact, flyfishermen tend to use dry (floating) flies 90% of the time. Get the message? If I could only have one trout fly for fishing the Sierra trout creeks it would be a Bird's Nest nymph for below surface or Cutter's E/C Caddis for a dry fly... but that's just me. There are no right or wrong answers. Like hunting the fun comes mostly from just getting out and trying different places and methods.
Thanks we have a #7 and #9 fly rods from orvis which are beautiful so I only need the reel. Also what type of flies should I use? We have hundreds of different flies in our fly fishing room but don't know which to use.
Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:58 PM
However, you can really kick butt by catching large nymphs or helgramites under the rocks of the stream you are fishing and stick them on a very fine wire hook. (Assuming bait is allowed in that particular water.) Takes some finesse to gently cast them but there is never a question about getting the fish to bite on the bugs that live right there. If you discover you like flyfishing, your skills will skyrocket when you decide to leave your spinning rod home and just work the flyrod. It's hard to master when you have lures and bait as a back-up plan.Ditto on the golf comparison. Learning both sports can be equally expensive AND frustrating in the beginning. I said good-bye to golf after a few lessons and two games. If I want to get that frustrated, I prefer to do so with a gun or a rod.
Once you start flyfishing chunkin bait will be a thing of the past. !
Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:34 PM
Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:27 PM
Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:55 PM
Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:47 PM
Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:29 PM
Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:06 PM
Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:49 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users