• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

I am finally getting ready to order my .25 Marauder. I am a PADI certified diver and am wondering what the best setup is for air? Which scuba tank do you recommend and which adapter? I already have a scope. What else do I need? My local gun shop said he will match Pyramyd at $422 for the gun ($469 less 10% discount). Is there a better place to order the gun (maybe someone that supports upgrades later on, etc?Thanks In Advance.

I'm an airgunholic

#2 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

Brant,I think that most of the users of air tanks around here use the 4500 PSI SCBA tanks. Have seen a few guys at the range using SCUBA don't know about their setup. Need a female Foster on the hose to fill the gun. Here's a couple of links.Used SCBA EquipmentNew tanks and equipmentEither of these sites will walk you through what you need for your setup. Good Luck

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#3 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

I love my .25 Marauder. It is silly accurate and the .25 pellets have some real downrange punch. I put a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 on it and it seems to work pretty well. I kinda wish I had gotten a scope with mil dots though. As for air, you'll want a 4500psi tank, it is an air hog. The 80 cubic foot scuba tank I bought for my disco is almost useless. I get a couple of fills then I have to start using my hand pump. I saw on the yellow forum crosman was selling the marauder for 25% off, worked out to less than 400. You might want to check to see if that deal is still good. You'll love that .25 MRod, they are a hard hitting tack driver.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I have a 17 cu ft 4500 psi tank from paintball but it needs some retrofitting and is about due for a hydro test. The cheapest I have found the Marauder .25 is $422 so $400 or less would be a winner if free shipping. My sale on Gunbroker will cover the gun and I had another $300 saved for the air but it looks like a need a wee bit more to be happy. I found out a lot of folks closer into the densely populated burbs where I live are replacing their Beeman and RWS spring guns with Marauders because they are so quiet so they no longer get in caught where they aren't supposed to be shooting at all. :-)

I'm an airgunholic

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Great news on the .25 Mrod. As far as tanks ... I bought another 88 CF scuba tank so now I have two. I use one until it runs low and then I just use it for my Disco that is full at 2200 psi. It would be nice if I had a 4500 psi tank but I feel you don't have to fill to maximum every time. I am shooting right next to my tank so I have no problems even in the field...it's right there.Have fun with your new gun.... how could you NOT have fun, huh?

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

I can get a used but fresh hydro'd 100 cf 3200 psi tank for $60. Since I have a small 4500 tank I might do that. Filling the large 4500 psi's are a bit tougher.I found out I can get any size 4500 tank filled for $10. Is that a decent price?

I'm an airgunholic

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

I pay $5 a fill for my 4500psi tanks at a local sporting goods store.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

That sounds good. I haven't really shopped around yet. A friend/firemen said he can fill it for free occasionally which may work out. He has a 6000 psi pump at the station and used to fill big tanks for our paintball tournys. A large 4500 ps tank should be good for a lot of fills. I was told with the .25 cranked up a little my 17 cu 4500 tank was good for about 11 fills. Does that sound right? I just ordered the .25 Marauder through Pyramyd with their 10% off and 4 tins of pellets (Benjamin, Kodiak Heavy, and the JSB Match Diablos) to see which shoots best. The Crosman 25% off sale was one day via Twitter and is long gone (I tried to get one out of them :-) ) It was $423 at Pyramyd and shipped from Ohio so I will see it about Monday. I am set with scope so the air is next.

I'm an airgunholic

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

Oh BTW just type in winter2010 at Pyramyd for 10% off on everything.

I'm an airgunholic

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

I used to get my tanks filled for free at my local Fire station too. But some cry baby said something and that went away. Not sure about the filling you'll get but sounds about right. Once you buy something from Pyramid you will get their weekly sales flyers with lots of discounts. I don't cancel them because once in awhile I might need something. I have bought all of my Marauders from Tim at Mac1. I just like that he goes through them before I have to. It's only a tiny bit more and he guarantees the gun. Just a thought for next time. Now a good scope and you'll be all set.

Time waits for no one--

#11 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

I was just looking at his sight and I don't see any reference to the Marauders anyplace.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

Tim's website is way outdated. You need to call him. He's where VarmintAir and I have gotten ours along with our Discovery's before.

Time waits for no one--

#13 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

That's kinda what I though, because I knew you guys were buying from him and just thought it strange.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#14 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

Pyramyd offers something they call 10-for-$10 Test. Not sure if it compares. It should help weed out the lemons somewhat. I have returned a defective Crosman to Pyramyd in the past.To make sure your gun shoots right out of the box, our techs will: Remove your gun from its box and fire 10 shots. Ensure that the gun cocks reliably for all shots. Verify that the trigger functioned reliably for all shots. Enclose chronograph tape.* Make sure your gun doesn't leak (PCPs only). List the air pressure used to shoot your gun (PCPs only). Sign & date a certificate stating when the test was performed. List the name and serial number of the tested gun on the certificate. i found about a dozen places within 20 miles to fill 4500 tanks so I am in good shape. A change in personnel at the firehouse could end that at some point. I saw Marauders on the price sheet at Tim's.http://www.mac1airgu...etailprices.htm

I'm an airgunholic

#15 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Has anyone done Tim's Steroid treatment to a Sheridan xxxxx Streak?Is there a good reason to have a hand pump as a backup for the Marauder?The factory setting is about 2500 psi. What is the best setting for good power w.o losing accuracy?(I see Varmitair's BM is the factory setting but Mac1 did some work on his crown and trigger. Wow 46 fpe with Kodiak heavys and about 1 MOA accuray at 50 yds) amazingI see Pyramyd is going to sell the 4500 psi 88 cf airhog carbon tank starting Dec 30. Air Hog estimates 154 fills in the Marauder for that tank.Thanks!!!

I'm an airgunholic

#16 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

The .25 Mrods come set up for 3000psi, the .22 are set for the lower 2600 psi. I don't use my hand pump any more than I have to, but it does make a nice back up. However, for what you pay for a hand pump you can but a couple of scuba tanks. Mac 1 is great, I bought my disc from Tim. I had him do the full treatment on it, she's a tack driver and I have had no mechanical problems with the gun.

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

I held a 44 cu ft carbon tank at the local scuba and looks like you can get one with 10 or mor eyears on it with the yoke/adapter for about $350 or less. Not bad. Less fills than I thought though. Maybe 60 from an 88 and 30 from a 44 is what they are indicating with the .25 down to 2000 psi. It sounds like the .25 Marauder is truly an air hog. :-) I also am reading that a few shops are already custom rebuilding the Marauders and pushing the .25 to just below the speed of sound (1000 fps)with a 31 gr pellet and still getting superb accuracy but less shots of course. Over 70 fpe. The only problem I see with that is the noise level. 4X fpe is plenty for my backyard terrorists.

I'm an airgunholic

#18 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

I may have just lucked out. My buddy who hosted our paintball tournys has two large 4500 psi steel tanks that he said I could borrow. They need to be hydro tested and i wll need an adapter/connector setup. They are pretty heavy and will have to sit in my garage or basement. We used to fill all of our carbon fiber 4500 psi tanks from them and the firehouse filled those.

I'm an airgunholic

#19 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Well the tanks are huge (they are 5 ' tall and stand in a cart) and are nearly full (4400 psi). I am guessing maybe a few hundred cu ft each?? They have a special adapter for filling standard 4500 psi carbon fiber paintball tanks that attach directly to it. They are too heavy to move around. I decided I still need a 44 cu ft carbon 4500 and then he can fill it for free. I wonder if the adapter is an issue. Somehow my CF tank must have a std paintball tank adapter for fills and then the std Benjamin adapter for filling the tank. I guess I will need to call airtanksforsale.com and get the low down.

I'm an airgunholic

#20 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

Ok - the handpump is for the birds. It took a lot of pumps the first time to get this thing to 3000 psi. Hello tank.Attached File  1.jpg   18.85KB   19 downloads

I'm an airgunholic

#21 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

It took me 5 shots to sight it in with the scope mounted using Beeman Kodiak Match 31.02. It's strange - on my 20 yd basement range it makes a single hole on a 3 shot group. It was tough to tell if the 2nd and third pellet had even hit.Attached File  1.jpg   5.28KB   19 downloads

I'm an airgunholic

#22 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

Ok - the handpump is for the birds. It took a lot of pumps the first time to get this thing to 3000 psi. Hello tank.

Try pumping a Sumatra sometime. It has over twice the air capacity as the Marauder. I bought tanks shortly after I tried pumping the beast.Reminds me that I have to rebuild my pump. :good:

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:02 AM

Hand pumps are a mechanical heart attack waiting to happen. Plus it just seems none of the pumps are really built to last. I know they make rebuild kits but they should last longer than they do. I know it's the heat build up that destroys most of the seals in them. No wonder the electric and gas powered pumps cost so much.

Time waits for no one--

#24 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

I am have emails into a couple of places including airtanksforsale looking for a preferably used 44 cu ft CF 4500 psi tank and adapters. Still waiting for replys.

I'm an airgunholic

#25 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

I am have emails into a couple of places including airtanksforsale looking for a preferably used 44 cu ft CF 4500 psi tank and adapters. Still waiting for replys.

Some people have lost track of their priorities and are celebrating the holidays instead of providing the proper level of support to the airgun hunting community. :good: Have you thought about the Shoebox Compressor??

#26 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

I just found their web site and was completely clueless of them. I have a decent shop compressor ad it sounds like it is a booster pump. Thanks!We just had a tornado/funnel cloud within a mile of the house here in Missouri about 15 minutes ago. I don't think it touched down.

I'm an airgunholic

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

I don't think a shoebox compressor would last long. Look on Youtube at some of the videos of that compressor and you won't consider one. I watched one where they filled a small paintball tank from 1000psi to around 4000 psi and it took 45 minutes and it was so HOT they couldn't touch the compressor. Not sure how long it would last at that rate. I would die of old age waiting for it to fill one of my Airhog 4500psi tanks. I've read allot of complaints about the compressor not filling to its stated max either. I don't know it sounds like you get what you pay for.

Time waits for no one--

#28 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:11 AM

I saw that. It looks like the design needed the refinement of more time in the field. The Chinese will fix it when they steal the patent. I already have compressed air for free at this point and just need a tank to store and transport it.

I'm an airgunholic

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

What about asking your local fire department about a used air tank? I got a couple from my local department that still had time on the hydro.

Time waits for no one--

#30 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

Good idea! The tornados hit us pretty hard. There is wide scattered damage on the areas south of St. Louis.

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users