• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

I must confess that my Cabelas gift card was buring a hole in my pocket so I ran over to Cabelas and got the Caldwells Steady Rest on sale ($50 off) and set it up under the covered deck off of my bedroom on the second story off above the walk out basement. The Caldwell allows you to pivot a leg to tilt it for the best angle. Well it is perfect for the edge of my woods starting at 33 yds and teaming with sparrows and other critters. I got 7 of 8 with the farthest one maybe at 50 yds and with the one that got away losing a good deal of feathers.The combo is darn right cheating on backyard critters.Attached File  1.jpg   26.38KB   17 downloadsI found out some of the cool bench rest dudes are get a sheet of 3/4 or 1" wolmanized (not sure about the safety of it these days) plywood and cutting it in half and gluing the two halves together with some liquid nails. Then they are cutting a custom "L" shaped bench rest platform out of it. The Caldwell Stable Table plastic top is held to a large sturdy steel sheet with 6 bolts. They simply replace the plastic top with the plywood top and volla. I am starting the project tonight.Update:I stand corrected - they are using either marine plywood or finishing the regular plywood in polyurethane or outdoor paint. One guy told me they sell 3/4"x24"x48" at Home Depot and they take two and glue them together and cut out a corner to make the L. They used 6 - 1"x1/4 galvanized bolts to attach it to the plate. I'll take a picture when I finish. The new ACQ copper wolmanized wood is safe for pets and humans supposedly but isn't needed up in the air and won't help moisture.

I'm an airgunholic

#32 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

Some pictures of the new wood top (24" x 48"). I added some bolts so the plywood won't seperatw and then I slopped on 2/3 of a quart of varnish in layers and added some angle aluminum on the bottom for more rigidity since I only used 1 3/4" piece of plywood. its solid as a rock. Also added a bipod on the Marauder (6-9"). Attached File  1.jpg   21.29KB   15 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   18.09KB   12 downloads

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   21.29KB   2 downloads

I'm an airgunholic

#33 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

Used Tank (2007) and scope/camera adapter arrived!!!! Still need adapter assembly for tank from Joe B.Attached File  1.jpg   22.55KB   14 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   12.56KB   17 downloadsUpdate Assembly arrived

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users