#1 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

I just changed out my hunting scope [4-14x40] Mueller APV on RRA mount for a Primary Arms M4 reddot for close up yote hunting. My question is, now that I have the reddot, do I need to have some sort of BUIS? I'm still going to change up on scopes when I hunt the desert or ground squirrels, but for the most part, the PA will be on it. I've looked at YHM, Troy, Magpul folding f/r sights. So whaddaya think?

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

It sounds like you might be changing too often. BUIS are for when your primary sight goes bad. RedDot sights tend to have too large a dot for a lot of applications. The scope you mention should be good for all your coyote and squirrel needs. Leave the scope on low power for coyotes. The RedDot should be good on a shotgun at shotgun distances for coyotes. Keep batteries handy with the electronics.

#3 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

I guess I forgot to mention where I hunt at. For the most part, thick woods with shooting distances no more than 50-75yds. I plan on changing scopes only a couple of times a year. The reticle[s] are actually pretty small, the dot at 2, so at those close ranges, should'nt be a problem. The thing about the scope is that it's AO which, when a dog is coming toward me, I'm dialing the front end for distance. With the dot, bam, it's there.

#4 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

I like the idea of the red dot considering the large amount of dense forest you're dealing with.
"Life's tough-It's even tougher if your stupid"--John Wayne

#5 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

If they make you feel better get them. I have YHM on one of mine as primary sights. I had the magpul, but didn't like them, they felt very cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users