4 replies to this topic

#1 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

On my recent Canada waterfowl trip it rained for 3 days straight. I was wearing my brand new Cabelas raing suit consisting of a hooded parka and bibs that go over you regular clothing. I was not happy with the fact that I got wet anyway. The jacket in particular was as wet inside as out. I am sending them back but I need to get the best there is in rain gear and price is no object. I am tired of rain gear that does't work when it rains. Seems like if it's breathable it doesn't stay dry. I have at least four waterfowl parkas from columbia and they are fine in most situations but the fact is if it is poring they don't cut it either. Any suggestions on tried and true gear for when it's raining like hell?

#2 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

I don't know if anything short of a wet suit will keep you dry in every situation. When Deer hunting in Southern NY it often rains heavily. In my Cabala's GORE-TEX? Ten Mile Cloth? Parka and bibs I stay dry for the most part, but after hours in the driving rain water wicks up through the cuffs inside the selves of the jacket.Here in CA, I have run into downpours while Quail hunting, Filson shelter cloth jacket and pull over pants work well, but sooner or later water finds an unprotected area and you get wet. I think eventually you get wet. Finding clothing that will keep you warm while wet is important, and after determining the equipment that works best for you, make sure your warm if you can't seam to stay dry. Or you can dress up like the guy on the frozen fish package and look like one of those Crab Fishermen ;)

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

Mike, that (getting soaked) is exactly what has happened to me in the past with Gortex & other breathable so called rain proof clothing... AND is why I quit using them yrs ago...I just wear enough warm clothing and then put REAL rain gear on over that... It is the only way I found to stay dry... In fact, now days I only coyote and quail hunt for the most part, & for that I only carry a poncho... I've found that is all I need for this type of hunting. However, there are some exceptional rain gear out there, as at one time I came very close to doing an Alaskan black bear hunt & was going to need the right gear. Unfortunately, I doubt if I still have that info, but I will take a quick peek & see if I can find anything. Some of the higher quality fishing & tackle stores and/or shows may also have something?!All The BestFrank

#4 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:09 PM

I was gifted a nice duck hunting jacket a few years back that was purchased at Cabelas. It's made by "Pro Hunter" and it has never leaked on me even in tough rain. It's got shadow grass camo on the outside on some kind of polyester microfiber type material, then layers of gortex and whatever inside and a nice soft liner. It also has a fleece under coat that zips onto the jacket from the inside. The jacket by itself is pretty warm, and very dry. Dry enough that after hiking in the rain for a few hours I was completely dry, but the front pockets had collected about an inch of rain water. The outer microfiber type shell was wet, but it didn't come through at all. I looked it up out of curiosity and it's in the $160 price range.

#5 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

Thanks guys I will keep looking and let you know what I find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users